Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine Vs. Gvf-C Deep Sea Green ?

Intensity

I very much like the muted appearance and hue of both Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine and Graf von Faber-Castell Deep Sea Green. Trouble is, I don't have both at the same time to compare in terms of properties. I had Deep Sea Green in cartridges a while ago, and I remember the ink being rather unsaturated but also quite dry. I have Aquamarine in a pen now, after it was filled at a pen show following nib modification.

Edelstein inks are also very dry but supposedly more lubricated than the Pelikan 4001 line. Now, in comparison with each other in terms of performance--would you recommend GvFC Deep Sea Green over Edelstein Aquamarine, or vice versa, and why? I'm normally not a fan of dry inks, but they do work well in cursive italic pens to provide more precise and crisp line variation, and I really like how both of these inks look on paper.

(Both have some water resistance with a gray line remaining after a wash, both pretty dry, not sure of comparative lubrication level and other parameters).

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• SlowRain

• chromantic

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Ku-Jaku--it's nothing like those two inks. It's a lot more saturated and looks different. It's also the opposite of dry, and it does take a long time to flush out of a pen. I love Iroshizuku inks, but trying something else in this case.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I have DSG in a Pelikano P450 - great color (that nicely compliments the pastel green of the pen) with what I can only describe as a "creamy" appearance, good saturation (not watery-looking at all) and more than adequate flow (lays down a decent layer of ink) in that pen.

However, I bought a Kaweco Turquoise Sport demonstrator thinking to move the DSG to it but that was a disaster. The line was very faint, almost unreadable; after sitting a day or so, it darkened a bit but still very light compared to the P450. It did exhibit very nice shading which isn't as apparent with the heavier flow in the Pelikano but still too light for easy reading (I should point out the 450 is an M while the Sport is a F). I thought the Sport was suffering from the not-uncommon starvation problem but I flushed it and put in Kon-peki and that works great in it, though the color's all wrong for the pen.

Haven't tried Aquamarine so I can say how they compare but that's my experience with DSG.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Thank you, chromantic. That's a general "problem" with lower saturation, dry inks. They need a high flow pen and a fairly smooth nib tipping to perform well right away. In all cases that I've encountered, such inks do best in pens after sitting in them for a day or two and saturating enough to enhance lubrication and saturation. Pelikan pens are known to be wetter writers, so dry Pelikan inks do well in them. Likewise for the dry Graf von Faber-Castell inks. The same happened when I tried very dry Troublemaker Petrichor and Kelp Tea inks -- at first the writing experience was scratchy and draggy, but the lubrication and saturation improved within the following days.

The reason I like dry inks of lower saturation is for a specific purpose. First of all, these inks generally flush out more easily of piston-filler pens, due to the low saturation. Secondly, dry inks do well with producing finest hairlines / highest line variation. I'm after both of these qualities with the inks in question in this thread.

Yes, I'm using Stipula inks in several of my Pelikans now and they work wonderfully.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 2 years later...
On 9/30/2019 at 4:26 AM, Intensity said:

Now, in comparison with each other in terms of performance--would you recommend GvFC Deep Sea Green over Edelstein Aquamarine, or vice versa, and why? 

On 9/30/2019 at 4:26 AM, Intensity said:

(Both have some water resistance with a gray line remaining after a wash, both pretty dry, not sure of comparative lubrication level and other parameters).

I'm kind of in a toss-up between these two. What did you end up going with? 

2 hours ago, SlowRain said:

I'm kind of in a toss-up between these two. What did you end up going with? 

I have both.  GvFC Deep Sea Green is my recommendation hands down.  It has a more complex, darker hue, and it’s not prone to fading, as Aquamarine is.  

Thanks for that. One more quick question. I'm angling to buy a Pelikan M205 Marbled-Petrol. Have you ever put it in a Pelikan steel-nibbed pen before? 

47 minutes ago, SlowRain said:

Thanks for that. One more quick question. I'm angling to buy a Pelikan M205 Marbled-Petrol. Have you ever put it in a Pelikan steel-nibbed pen before? 

No I don’t own any steel-nibbled Pelikan, but I own a few other Pelikans. It performs great with most pens, a high quality ink. It’s similarly dry and low lubrication to Aquamarine, but perhaps a bit better, so higher ink flow pens work better, such as piston fillers. I think Deep Sea Green will be a beautiful ink for the Petrol Marbled.