Surfing The Fountain Pen Teal Wave

Bennett

I have noticed over the past year or so, a significant but growing number of fountain pens produced in the teal or turquoise family of colors. Here is a listing of entries that fall under this wave. Please add others that I have missed. My guess is that this color is selling well, otherwise, all these manufacturers would not have jumped on board.

This a bit of a retro color event. I believe that the last time teal was popular may have been when Parker 51's were at their height in the 1950's and blue/green teal was a frequent color choice.

Pelikan 205 Aquamarine

Pelikan 600 Turquoise-White
Pelikan 805 Ocean Swirl
Pilot Custom 74 Teal
Platinum 3776 Kumpoo
Sailor Pro Gear Ocean
Sailor 1911 Stormy Sea
Diplomat Aero Turquoise
Kaweco Sport Turquoise
Pilot Vanishing Point LE Tropical Turquoise
Montegrappa Elmo Turquoise

Edited by Bennett

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bennett

• BillH

• bad_girl_bex

• sansenri

This is like one stop shopping for my wife...

Goodbye back account balance. :P

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

I think teal was "hot" in the early 90's too. Maybe not for pens, but Daughter played on a youth soccer team named the Teal Seals back then... :lol:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I think teal was "hot" in the early 90's too. Maybe not for pens, but Daughter played on a youth soccer team named the Teal Seals back then... :lol:

~ BillH:

Were the Teal Seals the Real Deal?

I feel that their appeal might have seemed surreal.

Tom K.

~ BillH:

Were the Teal Seals the Real Deal?

I feel that their appeal might have seemed surreal.

Tom K.

Tom :lol: Not then, but many of them went on to play select through high school. But after that year the coach "rebranded" them and did not allow the mothers any input...

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I didn't think of those Pelikan's as teal....though I'd have to look up Pelikan 805 Ocean Swirl.

For a while it was hard enough finding a teal ink.... :huh:..I think I have one, but only one. :(

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Bo Bo:

Good point. Some of the pens are marked as turquoise, not teal. However, they are technically both in the blue/green family of colors. The other thought is that I think manufacturers prefer the turquoise color name since it sounds classier than "teal."

The one pen, in my mind, that best represents a true teal is the Sailor Pro Gear Ocean.

Bennett

Turquoise is technically a lighter/brighter color than teal and can be more blue, as the actual mineral turquoise--different color range.

Teal: Hex triplet: #008080

008080.png

Turquoise:

40e0d0.png

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• 2 weeks later...

Lamy petrol.

If you mean the fountain pen, I agree. That's a beautiful dark teal. I absolutely love mine. It's one of my daily writers. I also adore the "matching" ink. It's my favourite ink at the moment, although I don't think that it matches the colour of the pen on normal paper. When I write with it and there is nothing next to it (e.g. other writing in black), the Lamy Petrol ink almost looks like black. It's one of the things that attracts me to it. It's conservative enough to use in meetings, yet if I write with black ink in one meeting and with Lamy Petrol in the next and I end up with two ink colours on the one page, then I end up with nice contrast. Oh Lamy, please make more Petrol ink (plus Dark Lilac).

good luck trying to find any of that ink..

Lamy Petrol. Still holding onto my untouched bottle. I tried it out with cartridges. I discovered that I had little liking for pen people's interpretation of teal, turquoise and the like.

The UnTeal..

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually think of the Blue Carbonesque Pilot Vanishing Point as teal mixed with a greyer blue. I also am pretty sure that to my mind, one of the Edelstein cartridges was what I would consider teal. And as noted above, Tsuki-yo; it is deeper than what I think of as turquoise or aquamarine.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

I absolutely love Pelikan Aquamarine but quite honestly, I find that Diamine produce about every colour and at reasonable prices.

• 1 month later...

I very much have an ongoing love affair with all things on the Teal/Turquoise Spectrum...seems like a very popular colour in many areas of interest. Weirdly enough though, it's not a colour that I (personally) think translates onto certain items (like superbike motorcycles. I have a tonne of inks on this colour spectrum but I think my favourites are Blue Suede - Private Reserve and Blue Nose Bear - Noodlers, which is a tad mischievous on some papers, but on the right ones, with the right nib, is totally worth it for the pay off.

Ranga actually makes an ebonite colour which can be chosen both polished or Matt (bakul) called teal.

Its a dark leaning teal and very nice, reminds me of the Parker 51 teal.

I got a model 3 in this colour recently in one of their group buys.