• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• Mongoosey

• Olya

• TSherbs

Thank you for mentioning the video.

I checked it out and the Prefounte does look good. It does look like the "Adult Preppy" as the Sales Rep stated.

I wonder if maybe it will bring interest to the Plaisir. I know that may sound strange, but when pens are priced so affordably and operate so dependably, people often buy more than one and explore the line up more, especially if there's more at the prices those pens are sold at.

And the Sales Rep also mentioned a new 3776 coming out, but wouldn't say if it was LE or something else... So that's intriguing as well.

I love the 3776. My fingers like that straighter section around that girth, which I can write with for long sessions without hand fatigue. That's one of the big reason's I'm so drawn to this Prefounte.

It looks like a US release only (so far) for the Prefounte, much alike the Explorer? Might be wrong though.

I think I am good with the Chartres Blue I have so far, regretted I did not pulled the trigger for the Kumpoo last year since the price right now is absolutely crazy!

That video has been removed. Is this thing for real?

Yep, see Mike Matteson's Dallas Pen Show coverage on YT, there is a short clip where a vendor shows the pen physically.

Yep, see Mike Matteson's Dallas Pen Show coverage on YT, there is a short clip where a vendor shows the pen physically.

Found this, thanks. Just a quick glance, really. I tried to see a slipnseal liner, but I couldn't see well enough through the cap.

Anyone know what happened to the video? I'll check out that vlog in the mean time.

Btw - where in the Mike Matteson's Dallas Pen Show vlog is it? It's a long video!

Edited by toymachine

Anyone know what happened to the video? I'll check out that vlog in the mean time.

Btw - where in the Mike Matteson's Dallas Pen Show vlog is it? It's a long video!

yeah, it's a ways in (I'm not going to watch it again to find out). It's shown by a young guy who talks about a lot of pens that he has. You don't get much of a look, really.

Platinum took the original video down. I don't know why. Esp as American retailers already have the Prefounte in their catalogues (haven't checked in a while, so availability might be greater now).

It's past the halfway of the video I believe

• 2 months later...

Platinum Prefounte is basically Platinum Preppy with a different cap. To be more precise, not the whole cap is new, the only part that is different is the cap end that in Preppy forms one part with plastic clip. With Prefounte is plastic cap end with metal clip. Platinum was really clever and with changing only one pen part created new pen model. So if you like Preppy you will like Prefounte as is when uncapped exactly the same. I prefer Preppy but if you want something more posh looking this is a good choice.

Edited by vonManstein

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought one of these as a tester pen for inks I haven't used previously. I bought the green version, which is quite handsome. I think it actually writes better than my Pilot Metro, but doesn't feel/look cheap like the Preppys.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Was just in Tokyo and the Prefounte was not available in any of the pen stores. I figured it must be an American product? Which is rather unusual for Platinum being a small company with limited resources.

I just bought one of these as a tester pen for inks I haven't used previously. I bought the green version, which is quite handsome. I think it actually writes better than my Pilot Metro, but doesn't feel/look cheap like the Preppys.

What size nib did you get? I just ordered an Emerald Green in Fine and an Orange Vermillion in Medium.

I've owned many Platinum Preppy fountain pens in different nob sizes over the last few years and when I saw the new Prefounte I like the style of the Prefounte more than I do the Platinum Preppy. The metal clip and the see through barrel with all the different vibrant colors that this particular fountain pen comes in is really an eye catcher. The only thing that I'm worried about is how well the fine and medium nibs are going to write. I'm used to my Pilot VP with the fine and extra fine nibs and I'm used to that smooth and precise writing feeling that the VP has when you write with it. I will be very disappointed if the Prefounte medium and fine nibs aren't going to be smooth writers.

Edited by FountainPenGuru

Was just in Tokyo and the Prefounte was not available in any of the pen stores. I figured it must be an American product? Which is rather unusual for Platinum being a small company with limited resources.

I think it is going to be common. Pilot just did it with their last year release of the Explorer.

I'm used to my Pilot VP with the fine and extra fine nibs and I'm used to that smooth and precise writing feeling that the VP has when you write with it. I will be very disappointed if the Prefounte medium and fine nibs aren't going to be smooth writers.

I have many Pliot Capless pens and many Platinum Preppy and Plaisir pens. Said Platinum pens are smooth writers, not precise writers, so you should consider what's more important to you, and if both smooth and precise are important to you, whether that grade of Platinum pen (for a much cheaper price) is an acceptable compromised you're happy to dive headlong into with eyes wide open.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I like the Preppy and the idea of the Prefounte, but the one thing that prevents me from purchasing them more often, or even at all, is how hard it is to clean out the section with the built-in fins.

The one new pen I'm really impressed with this year is the Pilot Explorer. I actually didn't like it at first. But when I finally put a con70 in it that changed. Without the con70 the pen feels "lacking" and even too lightweight for me, but with the con70 it has an acceptable weight, IMO, and is well balanced, and it made me realize how comfortable the section actually is. It does have a plastic clip, but it's actually very sturdy and functions well, and nothing like a what you'd find on a Preppy or Pilot G2, so I stopped disliking it for that reason.

I actually prefer the Pilot Explorer over all the starter pens including the Safari. My one pet-peeve about it though is the matte-like metallic finish of the barrel and that is is very preferential. I don't like matte finishes, period. I wish they made a smooth demonstrator version so I could see the ink level, or a semi transparent version like what Platinum did with the Prefounte's. I think the colors and semi-transparency of the Prefounte's are done very well and along with their design, they do entice me.

• 2 weeks later...

What size nib did you get? I just ordered an Emerald Green in Fine and an Orange Vermillion in Medium.

I've owned many Platinum Preppy fountain pens in different nob sizes over the last few years and when I saw the new Prefounte I like the style of the Prefounte more than I do the Platinum Preppy. The metal clip and the see through barrel with all the different vibrant colors that this particular fountain pen comes in is really an eye catcher. The only thing that I'm worried about is how well the fine and medium nibs are going to write. I'm used to my Pilot VP with the fine and extra fine nibs and I'm used to that smooth and precise writing feeling that the VP has when you write with it. I will be very disappointed if the Prefounte medium and fine nibs aren't going to be smooth writers.

I got the M, as I wanted a pen that I could test out inks (such as Kyanite du Nepal) that I was afraid would clog my F and EF Pilots. My Preppys are all .3, which I believe is considered a F. I think it writes very smoothly and it has been a good starter; it isn't quite as precise as the finer nibs but then I wouldn't expect it to be. I am considering picking up a Graphite Blue as well, but the picture online makes it look awfully close to black, which is not what I would want. If they made it a B I would try that as well.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up on of these for my daughter. Great pen for a beginner. Lightweight, a fun colour, an easy to use cap, and a reliable writer. Plus it won’t break the bank if she loses it or breaks it.

To each their own I guess since I am still not sold on this pen.

After seeing it on Goulet it really looks like the transparent resin version of the Procyon.

The Explorer has been released for almost a year but I still don't see it being sold anywhere else BTW.

As of today's date, I've found the Explorer on several sites online:

Goulet Pens, Goldpot Pens, Pen Chalet, iPenStore, and Anderson Pens. I haven't yet checked vendors overseas like Cult Pens, but perhaps they are also available?

I hope this helps anyone looking to buy an Explorer. I love my Platinum Preppies and Procyons and am waiting for my birthday to arrive before trying the Prefounte (cuz I'm trying to be good!).

I think I will wait til this year's Triangle Pen Show and see if I can try an Explorer out in person before I buy one. Or perhaps check Crazy Alan's Emporium near where I live if he has one to try out.

Still, I have to say, my resolution to cool it with the pen buying is being severely tested: the TWSBI Eco RG has been acquired, this year's Lamy AL-Star color is to die for, the three Lamy Safari colors slated for April release look absoluetly yummy, and I am eagerly waiting for TWSBI's Black/Rose Gold Diamond 580. So ... I've got FIVE pens minimum on the To-Buy List this year. God help me.

Edited by taimdala