Prefounte Platinum Fountain Pen - New Model

Olya

Platinum has a new model coming, the Prefounte. Seems to be an upscale Preppy, I guess it'll be priced thereabouts.

The section is the same as in the Preppy & Plaisir.

It has the slip & seal, and a snap cap.

Upcoming colours seem to be black, blue, red, orange, green (leaning on teal).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJkCN_-qigU

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/d8jd5k/platinum_prefounte_trailer/

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• Mongoosey

• Olya

• TSherbs

Looking forward to a "Preppy" that may last. Price stopped me with the Procyon. Hope these are more budget friendly. I'm a huge Platinum fan, even more so now that today I've tried their Platinum Carbon Black ink - thank you milk0bat! :wub:

Looking forward to a "Preppy" that may last. Price stopped me with the Procyon. Hope these are more budget friendly. I'm a huge Platinum fan, even more so now that today I've tried their Platinum Carbon Black ink - thank you milk0bat! :wub:

According to their site the current Preppy is made of Poly Carbonate (PC), I don't know what material the old version was made of, but I have read that it was another material and the current model won't (shouldn't/ doesn't) have the cracking issues like the old.

https://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/products/fountain/e_fountain_preppy.html

I'd be surprised if the Prefounte were more expensive than the Plaisir, considering they all share the same section & nib and it seems to look exactly like the Preppy, save for the clip and the branding on the barrel.

The Prefounte makes me believe that Platinum is watching consumers closely and answering consumer's wishes, as I have read a number of comments wishing the Preppy didn't have the branding on the barrel, hacks on how to remove it and wishing there was a more office-appropriate/ upscale version.

According to their site the current Preppy is made of Poly Carbonate (PC), I don't know what material the old version was made of, but I have read that it was another material and the current model won't (shouldn't/ doesn't) have the cracking issues like the old.

I'd be surprised if the Prefounte were more expensive than the Plaisir, considering they all share the same section & nib and it seems to look exactly like the Preppy, save for the clip and the branding on the barrel.

The Prefounte makes me believe that Platinum is watching consumers closely and answering consumer's wishes, as I have read a number of comments wishing the Preppy didn't have the branding on the barrel, hacks on how to remove it and wishing there was a more office-appropriate/ upscale version.

Thank you.

PS. Loving you avatar image.

I really like what they did with the Prefounte:

• I like the more "mature" shape,
  • I like the metal clip,
  • I like that the kept it transparent. I like to be able to see my ink level.
  • I like that they kept it a smooth resin. I like a lightweight pen and a smooth surface with no added texture.

It's good to hear that Platinum listen's well to their customers. I hope they take some notes with the Procyon, which I feel could use some major adaptations.

Thank you for this Thread. I haven't looked forward to new pen like this in a while.

I think I'll stick with my Plasir ; does not seems anything truly new here. Platinum had already new model of Preppy in Asia market in the form of the clipless PQ-200 and this looks to be yet just another take on the barrel and cap ... What they really should do is to update the Cool / Balance , might be they could give the Procyon an entry price bracket model variant

Edited by Mech-for-i

I think the Prefounte is a really good update/evolution from the Preppy.

I like the Preppy, but the aesthetics and plastic clip:

• kept me from using it in a more professional setting,...
  • kept me from feeling that "fountain pen pride" of having a good looking pen. I'm not a stickler for aesthetics, but I don't like pens that look like a toy, and for me the Preppy was in that category along with the TWSBI GO and Pilot Kakuno and others.
  • Ultimately kept me from buying more.

It may compete with the Plaisir, but for me, I was never intending to purchase the Plaisir because I don't like metal pens and the design never really spoke to me unlike the Prefounte, with which Platinum hit a bullseye on that balance with aesthetics, functionality, design/shape, and value, bringing together very well those little things like:

• A Metal clip (unlike the Preppy)
  • Mature design/shape (unlike the Preppy)
  • Transparent inner cap (versus the ugly opaque one on the Platinum Cool)
  • Keeping it resin (unlike the Plaisir)
  • Transparent/Semi transparent resin so I can see the ink level (unlike the Plaisir)
  • Comfortable section shape of the Preppy/Plaisir they kept with the Prefounte (may also interchange as well)
  • and so on..

...which are very important to me to have together to consider purchasing any pen.

...The Prefounte really stands out for me beyond the Preppy, Plaisir and even the Cool, to the to the point that I actually want to purchase it.

And furthermore the Prefounte steps into categories of being an:

• EDC I'd be comfortable/proud to be seen in public with,
  • A highly functional affordable pen I'm not afraid to lose,
  • A professional looking pen I can take to work and not feel self conscious about (hospital setting),
  • A gift away pen to newbies, children, or others to appreciate fountain pens without looking like a toy, while actually having some class to the aesthetics.

I think it's great that Platinum is not letting their current line-up limit them from adapting and perfecting their own products, which is a common problem I see with fountain pens and a cause for stagnation in the development and evolution of product line-ups.

But I also hope Platinum extends that attitude to the Platinum Cool as well or even the Procyon which I personally wish had a steel #6 sized nib and was resin, especially since the prices of the Platinum 3776's rose significantly recently. And I wouldn't mind seeing a Piston-Filler either as an adaptation of the 3776 or something of its own.

Edited by Mongoosey

It may compete with the Plaisir, but for me, I was never intending to purchase the Plaisir because I don't like metal pens and the design never really spoke to me unlike the Prefounte, with which Platinum hit a bullseye on that balance with aesthetics, functionality, design/shape, and value, bringing together very well those little things like:

But still, it does not make any sense at all targeting a price market of your own? Unless they want to discontinue the Plaisir line.

And also mind you some people would give the same exact argument for the Plaisir in comparison to the Prefounte.

This reminds me a little bit like the Explorer - Metropolitan line a bit.

Edited by penzel_washinkton

But still, it does not make any sense at all targeting a price market of your own? Unless they want to discontinue the Plaisir line.****

And also mind you some people would give the same exact argument for the Plaisir in comparison to the Prefounte.

This reminds me a little bit like the Explorer - Metropolitan line a bit.

****Maybe that's what they're doing. That thought certainly came to my mind when I first saw the Prefounte. Maybe people aren't buying the Plaisir.

It also reminds me a little bit of the Pilot Explorer and Metropolitan as well. But I understand why Pilot may have been motivated to create the Explorer:

• The Metro is a great pen and functions very well regardless of the price, but for people with larger hands the section can be too narrow and when you try to choke up you're met with a steep uncomfortable shelf, limiting the usability for a large population of pen users,
  • Sure you can try the Kakuno, which does function just as well and is very comfortable, but looks like a toy and lacks a clip.
  • You can move up to a Pilot Prera, but that's a pocket pen that requires posting every time fo feel comfortable, but I will say that when posted it's very comfortable.
  • Then the next stop up is a Pilot Custom 74, but I found that uncomfortable with the nib too small and having to adjust my grip in a way that never prevented my hand from developing fatigue fairly quickly in a way that never happened when I use the Pilot Prera Posted.
  • The Custom 912 is nicer, but you're paying at least $150, and if you want a descent ink capacity outside the hassle of ink cartridges you have to opt for the con70, which for me starts to make the pen a little heavy for my taste, but still usable I suppose.

I think Pilot was severely missing an affordable full sized pen, but I feel Pilot half-@$$ed that opportunity with the Explorer, but that's my opinion. I don't like the design and feel of the Explorer.

****Maybe that's what they're doing. That thought certainly came to my mind when I first saw the Prefounte. Maybe people aren't buying the Plaisir.

It also reminds me a little bit of the Pilot Explorer and Metropolitan as well. But I understand why Pilot may have been motivated to create the Explorer:

• The Metro is a great pen and functions very well regardless of the price, but for people with larger hands the section can be too narrow and when you try to choke up you're met with a steep uncomfortable shelf, limiting the usability for a large population of pen users,
  • Sure you can try the Kakuno, which does function just as well and is very comfortable, but looks like a toy and lacks a clip.
  • You can move up to a Pilot Prera, but that's a pocket pen that requires posting every time fo feel comfortable, but I will say that when posted it's very comfortable.
  • Then the next stop up is a Pilot Custom 74, but I found that uncomfortable with the nib too small and having to adjust my grip in a way that never prevented my hand from developing fatigue fairly quickly in a way that never happened when I use the Pilot Prera Posted.
  • The Custom 912 is nicer, but you're paying at least $150, and if you want a descent ink capacity outside the hassle of ink cartridges you have to opt for the con70, which for me starts to make the pen a little heavy for my taste, but still usable I suppose.

I think Pilot was severely missing an affordable full sized pen, but I feel Pilot half-@$$ed that opportunity with the Explorer, but that's my opinion. I don't like the design and feel of the Explorer.

That is a big maybe if you think about it.

Let's say they replace the Plaisir with the Prefounte, then the first metallic pen from Platinum will be the Procyon, $50.

No competition for the Pilot Metropolitan in the sub $50 metallic pens in the Japanese top three brands (CMIIW) and I personally don't think Platinum would make that bold step although I wouldn't rule them out making that decision seeing they will release the Prefounte.

As for the Explorer, It's funny how they might be motivated in making the pen as you stated above but only release the pen in the US(since I don't see it anywhere else). I think those preference are really region based in my opinion.

I like the looks, but does anybody know if they will be available with the "02" (EF) nib? The couple of online retailers I've found who have pages up in anticipation of the pen's release are only showing fine and medium, which would be the "03" and "05" Preppy nibs.

They have removed the video from their Youtube chanel.

Maybe it's a replacement for the Plaisir , most of them are priced under 10 euros (I've bought the black one from Amazon at 8.5 Euros, it is now under 8) which it is absolutely not a normal price range for this pen initially announced at about 20 Usd .

I think the Plaisir has no sells success

That is a big maybe if you think about it.

Let's say they replace the Plaisir with the Prefounte, then the first metallic pen from Platinum will be the Procyon, $50.

No competition for the Pilot Metropolitan in the sub $50 metallic pens in the Japanese top three brands (CMIIW) and I personally don't think Platinum would make that bold step although I wouldn't rule them out making that decision seeing they will release the Prefounte.

As for the Explorer, It's funny how they might be motivated in making the pen as you stated above but only release the pen in the US(since I don't see it anywhere else). I think those preference are really region based in my opinion.

Well the plus side of making the Prefounte Resin is you can Eyedropper it, which is bonus/added feature the Plaisir doesn't have, and that works well with the selection of transparent resin...

...And the hues of the colors of the Resin look fantastic, too... just right.

Maybe the market in the U.S. was easier to introduce the EXPLORER into. I don't know. That doesn't really matter to me.

I was interested in the EXPLORER because it seemed to tap into my preferences the SAFARI taps into: An affordable, full size, dependable, highly functional, lightweight, EDC fountain pen, that doesn't look like a toy... But for me the EXPLORER fell short with certain key aspects the PREFOUNTE succeeds with quite well, especially with the metal clip, the comfortable section, and visible ink level.

I like the looks, but does anybody know if they will be available with the "02" (EF) nib? The couple of online retailers I've found who have pages up in anticipation of the pen's release are only showing fine and medium, which would be the "03" and "05" Preppy nibs.

That's all I see available as well, citing the youtube video that was taken down and the Goulet Pens website which shows only those 2 options to be available in November.

They are getting the pen ready to sell for Christmas.

But I also would be interested in a 02 EF.

If worse comes to worse and I have to wait for them to roll out an EF Prefounte I suppose I can always swap a preppy 02 onto it if the sections are interchangeable, which I imagine they may be.

They have removed the video from their Youtube chanel.

Maybe it's a replacement for the Plaisir , most of them are priced under 10 euros (I've bought the black one from Amazon at 8.5 Euros, it is now under 8) which it is absolutely not a normal price range for this pen initially announced at about 20 Usd .

I think the Plaisir has no sells success

+1

Well the plus side of making the Prefounte Resin is you can Eyedropper it, which is bonus/added feature the Plaisir doesn't have, and that works well with the selection of transparent resin...

...And the hues of the colors of the Resin look fantastic, too... just right.

Maybe the market in the U.S. was easier to introduce the EXPLORER into. I don't know. That doesn't really matter to me.

I was interested in the EXPLORER because it seemed to tap into my preferences the SAFARI taps into: An affordable, full size, dependable, highly functional, lightweight, EDC fountain pen, that doesn't look like a toy... But for me the EXPLORER fell short with certain key aspects the PREFOUNTE succeeds with quite well, especially with the metal clip, the comfortable section, and visible ink level.

That's all I see available as well, citing the youtube video that was taken down and the Goulet Pens website which shows only those 2 options to be available in November.

They are getting the pen ready to sell for Christmas.

But I also would be interested in a 02 EF.

If worse comes to worse and I have to wait for them to roll out an EF Prefounte I suppose I can always swap a preppy 02 onto it if the sections are interchangeable, which I imagine they may be.

+1

To each their own I guess since I am still not sold on this pen.

After seeing it on Goulet it really looks like the transparent resin version of the Procyon.

The Explorer has been released for almost a year but I still don't see it being sold anywhere else BTW.

Edited by penzel_washinkton

To each their own I guess since I am still not sold on this pen.

After seeing it on Goulet it really looks like the transparent resin version of the Procyon.****

The Explorer has been released for almost a year but I still don't see it being sold anywhere else BTW.

****I agree. It has that sharper look to it versus the more rounded Cool or Plaisir. I like it much more.

I wish they actually made a resin version of the Procyon and either made it a snap cap getting rid of those threads to elongate the section up, or put on a #6 sized steel nib instead of that smaller one they have on there, so I don't have to hold the pen so close to the paper. Those extra Millimeters make a big difference.

Maybe they can phase out the Cool and do something like that. That would be cool ; )

****I agree. It has that sharper look to it versus the more rounded Cool or Plaisir. I like it much more.

I wish they actually made a resin version of the Procyon and either made it a snap cap getting rid of those threads to elongate the section up, or put on a #6 sized steel nib instead of that smaller one they have on there, so I don't have to hold the pen so close to the paper. Those extra Millimeters make a big difference.

Maybe they can phase out the Cool and do something like that. That would be cool ; )

Funnily, after making this comment and then seeing Mike Matteson's Dallas Pen Show vlog (a vendor showing a live version of the Prefounte) it does look awesome.

I have to give it that.

Funnily, after making this comment and then seeing Mike Matteson's Dallas Pen Show vlog (a vendor showing a live version of the Prefounte) it does look awesome.

I have to give it that.

Thank you for mentioning the video.

I checked it out and the Prefounte does look good. It does look like the "Adult Preppy" as the Sales Rep stated.

I wonder if maybe it will bring interest to the Plaisir. I know that may sound strange, but when pens are priced so affordably and operate so dependably, people often buy more than one and explore the line up more, especially if there's more at the prices those pens are sold at.

And the Sales Rep also mentioned a new 3776 coming out, but wouldn't say if it was LE or something else... So that's intriguing as well.

I love the 3776. My fingers like that straighter section around that girth, which I can write with for long sessions without hand fatigue. That's one of the big reason's I'm so drawn to this Prefounte.

Edited by Mongoosey