DaveyWonder

The (Japanese) Elephant in the Room

Pilot Custom Urushi

post-136466-0-51174800-1568887047_thumb.jpeg

I won’t bore you with the specifications, basic descriptions, or construction components of this pen, because they have been covered in other reviews of this pen. Instead, I’d like to tell you how I feel about owning this pen, which I received about a month ago... Long enough for the honeymoon to be over and to be able to take a critical look at this pen.

Some background: I have been using fountain pens since I was about ten years old. I have a small collection of top-drawer pens, including Montblanc 146 & 149, Pelikan M800 & M1000, Visconti Homo Sapiens Dark Age Maxi, Nakaya Neo Standard, Parker 51’s and the ubiquitous Lamy 2000. I’ve always loved thick pens, and at my age, arthritis is starting to develop so I love them even more.

I began searching for a new pen because while I was happy with the width of the grip on my 149, I was unhappy with its length. Likewise, I liked the length of the grip on the M1000, but not the width. I purchased the Nakaya six months ago and love the urushi finish, so I focused my search on Japanese pens. With some advice, I zeroed in on the Pilot Custom Urushi.

I purchased my pen from nibs.com and was shocked when the card was personally signed by John Mottishaw, indicating that he set up this pen. (The other two pens I ordered from them were adjusted by his team and I’ve heard through forums that he is reducing his work. I feel lucky. Thanks, John!)

post-136466-0-70970200-1568886870_thumb.jpeg

NIB: The pen has a huge and wonderful medium nib, which writes very similarly in width to the Pelikan M1000’s fine nib. It has a touch of bounce, which is much less pronounced than my M1000 and Visconti Dream Touch nibs. I find that I have to pay very close attention to the latter two nibs because they require very precise pressure, which can be fatiguing in long writing sessions. I do not discern any feedback with this nib, which is slightly disappointing when compared to my Nakaya, but something I can live without.

GRIP: The most important part of this pen for me and its main selling point. For me, it is utter perfection. It is slightly longer than the M1000, very similar to the width of the 149, and fits my hand like it was custom made for me. (Maybe that’s the “Custom” in the name.) The slight taper is very comfortable as well. I was worried that the gold band embedded in the grip could be felt, but I was pleasantly surprised that it feels seamless. I am able to write for hours without my fingers cramping or my knuckles burning. I couldn’t be happier with the grip on this pen!

Here, the pens are aligned by the threads so you can really compare the grips:

post-136466-0-05385200-1568886457_thumb.jpeg

FIT & FINISH: This pen feels like it was made under a microscope. The build quality and tolerances are quite literally amazing and much better than any of the other pens that I own. When I unscrew the barrel to access the converter, I can feel absolutely no feedback. (I had to look to make sure it was coming apart as it was that smooth.) The metal bands feel cool to the hand and not plasticky like on the M1000.

Under a loupe, the black filling in the lettering on the cap band appears to have been perfectly applied and the contrast with the gold looks really great. However, the black lettering makes the clip on the cap look cheap and out of place because PILOT is merely stamped into the metal and not filled with black paint like on the band. I would have greatly preferred the clip and band to match.

Also not matching are the end cap on the barrel and the finial on the cap. The cap finial has a gold band while the body’s does not, and to me, it makes the barrel look unfinished and overlooked.

URUSHI: If I didn’t know better, I would have thought that this pen was made of high quality plastic. I cannot easily discern what is urushi and what is plastic. It feels very highly polished and is one of the most reflective pens that I own. I ordered mine in black instead of vermillion because my brain has a hard time filling a red pen with blue ink (I know, I’m strange), so the vermillion pens may have a more pronounced urushi look. This also may be a testament to the quality and finishing of the plastic as well (no seams or manufacturing marks). I would have been quite happy to pay a lot less for this pen sans urushi, but do appreciate the amount of labor that went into creating this writing instrument.

CAP: This is the most ridiculously, comically large cap ever. It is so big that I can’t store this pen in any of my pen cases, including my Montblanc single pen case made for the 149. (The case microscratched the cap while pulling it in and out.) It fits into my Nakaya pen kimono, but that parking spot is reserved for the Neo Standard. I found a folding pen case at Montblanc that it fits into, but because of the size of the cap and necessary storage case, I do not see myself taking this pen with me when I travel. A shame, really.

post-136466-0-21383600-1568886549_thumb.jpeg

FINAL THOUGHTS: If I had to buy this pen over again, I’d absolutely do it. While I have some quibbles about the pen overall, the wonderful feel in my hand and fantastic nib are what makes a great pen great… At least for me.

post-136466-0-26680900-1568886446_thumb.jpeg

post-136466-0-56647300-1568886433_thumb.jpeg

post-136466-0-38115800-1568886464_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Mulrich

• Tom Kellie

• peroride

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CAP: This is the most ridiculously, comically large cap ever. It is so big that I can’t store this pen in any of my pen cases, including my Montblanc single pen case made for the 149. (The case microscratched the cap while pulling it in and out.) It fits into my Nakaya pen kimono, but that parking spot is reserved for the Neo Standard. I found a folding pen case at Montblanc that it fits into, but because of the size of the cap and necessary storage case, I do not see myself taking this pen with me when I travel. A shame, really.

attachicon.gif IMG_8052.jpeg

Nice review , and good luck with your pen

A side note: the reason this cap is bloated, is that for some reason it is made of two cylinders, the inner cylinder has to be wider than the body of the pen in order to cap it, but then there is an outer cylinder made of what I assume is Ebonite. The cap finial is connected to the inner plastic cylinder and between them they hold the outer cylinder in place.

I have the smaller 845 in vermillion and really like the feel of it. I've held the custom urushi a few times but it didnt win me over (which is weird because I normally like oversized pens). Still a very high quality pen and a terrific piece for a collection.

• 2 months later...

I tried this pen at a pen show. Wrote butter smooth. The grip was too big for me for being comfortable.

FP Collection :-

Diplomat Aero, Pilot 845, Visconti Homo Sapiens, Pilot Silvern, Pelikan M1000, MB Solitaire Le Grand Blue Hour, Pelikan M805 Demonstrator, MB Solitaire Geometry, Lamy 2000, Lamy Lx Marron, 

Thanks for sharing your review and use of your amazing pen. I am surprised at the comparative bigger size of the 845 compared to the M1000 and MB 149! Now i'm even more intrigued with the 845.....

That is a HUMONGOUS pen - didn't realize it was that large.

Thanks for sharing a great review and comparison -

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

Thanks for sharing your review and use of your amazing pen. I am surprised at the comparative bigger size of the 845 compared to the M1000 and MB 149! Now i'm even more intrigued with the 845.....

The 845 is smaller than those two pens. The review is for the larger Custom Urushi.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Perhaps this will help illustrate some size differences. Left to right are Namiki Emperor, Pilot Custom Urushi, Pilot Custom 845, Pelikan M1000, and Montblanc 149

http://www.fototime.com/%7BB645D654-0C58-4C00-82D1-A647CA7B91C4%7D/origpict/IMG_2304.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/%7B2332E6F7-06A2-4CEA-A071-416DBAFAE58A%7D/origpict/IMG_2305.jpg

Thank you, very informative and readable.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Any case recommendations for these jumbo pens? I see a few people who recommend custom case makers but I wonder if there are commercially available options.

Any case recommendations for these jumbo pens? I see a few people who recommend custom case makers but I wonder if there are commercially available options.

Some pen rolls might work. The folks at Rickshaw Bag Works have fun options. I've also used cigar cases in the past made of leather.

+1 that was the exact Pilot Pensemble Morita-san of Osaka recommended for Custom Urushi

Sadly I did not get it, though I can confirm CU fits in Rickshaw deluxe 6 pen roll and Nadia's Pen wrap, the latter of which may be rare/hard to find; got mine from IndyPenDance

Some pen rolls might work. The folks at Rickshaw Bag Works have fun options. I've also used cigar cases in the past made of leather.

It looks like most cigar cases are lined with cedar, is that a problem for Urushi pens or would you line these with fabric?

The portable cigar cases I used were just leather or lined with fabric. They usually held 3 cigars or so. I'd cover any wood.

~ DaveyWonder:

Thank you for preparing and posting this helpful review.

I learned much from what you took time to explain.

This fountain pen was unfamiliar to me.

Tom K.