Danitrio Hyotan Dragon Flower

jandrese

How does one come up with superlatives to describe something? What I’ve got here almost belies description; it must be experienced. This is a Danitrio Hyotan or calabash/gourd shaped pen with dragon and flower maki-e. I don’t even really know the real name of the pen or the model number. The artist is Kogaku and I’ve two other magnificent pens by him but this one is beyond. Like my new flat top Mikado the base is shu-tamenuri but that is where similarities end save the quality of the work.

48716410928_a2127ccb9e_z.jpgIMG_2897 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

48716914237_1fa7f8c7c8_k.jpgIMG_2903 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

48716914712_5d93c93008_k.jpgIMG_2906 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

On the cap there is a cloud dragon. I assume that because there is a dragon and some clouds. The dragon is a large piece of contoured maki-e work that utilizes a gold powder so fine individual particles cannot be made out with the naked eye with what appears to be a raden eye. The clouds are bordered in gold and filled with finely grained silver powder for extra sparkle and texture. So now we are up to two or three different metal powders and many coats of urushi of different color/composition.

48716411223_377b056076_k.jpgIMG_2904 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

48716410903_df41efa06f_b.jpgIMG_2900 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

The body has a flower motif rendering what I believe is Tsubaki or Camelia, but I could be wrong. One flower appears more “realistic” whereas the other one appears to be symbolic of something perhaps a Buddhist symbol, or not. Anyway, it is a (symbolic?) flower encircled by symbolic waves. The whole of the flower uses at least 5 different sizes of metal powders of gold and what appears to be copper and at least two difference colors/compositions of urushi including green and red. There is also raden on each flower. The amount of work here is astonishing.

48716410843_c2e4a77597_h.jpgIMG_2899 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

48716743361_31f68dc0b3_k.jpgIMG_2902 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

48716743201_d1430d4dd1_b.jpgIMG_2901 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

Almost forgot this was a pen. It sports a #6 “Buddhist flame” nib and plastic feed that is supplied by a CC filer. I like a CC filler on Danitrio pens. It means that I get to change inks more often. This is a broad nib and an excellent writer with just the barest amount of pressure. Ink glides across the page.

48716411348_fa8f900dc2_k.jpgIMG_2905 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

The packaging is old school Danitrio in that the pen comes in a fabric pouch encased in a large, mirror black lacquered box. It’s not urushi but it looks great and feels substantial, special, and presents this pen as an occasion. The only other Danitrio pen I have that came with this big box is my very first from four years ago, which is just (just!) a tamenuri finished Mikado. All the others have come in simple Paulownia wood boxes, even the maki-e pens. Not sure what dictates the packaging.

48716742751_9f649ffb62_k.jpgIMG_2896 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

48716741866_6bca7206c9_z.jpgIMG_2893 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

48716742141_a97956188a_k.jpgIMG_2894 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

48716913237_023b677e6d_k.jpgIMG_2895 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• zaddick

• samasry

Top Posters In This Topic

Last I heard, maybe 2 years ago, the pens that sell for under $3k get a simple wooden box and only higher end maki-e get the piano black boxes. But they stopped with the kimonos a while ago.

Years ago almost all pens came with a fancy box of one type or another, but not a kimono or pen rest. If you go back years further the urushi and maki-e also had kimonos and urushi pen pillows in addition to the fancy large piano black box.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I've heard the same or similar explanations. I've a bunch of Danitrio pens now and there is some variability in the packaging. Pen pouch/bag +/-, glass eyedropper +/-, syringe with or without blunt tip needle +/-, loose felt box liner piece +/-, etc.

I think it depends on the price of the pen, the date of manufacture, the person who originally packaged things up, and the how the dealer repackages the pen.

The only thing I really wish they included was an explanation of the theme/inspiration for the work. The story is missing.

Last I heard, maybe 2 years ago, the pens that sell for under $3k get a simple wooden box and only higher end maki-e get the piano black boxes. But they stopped with the kimonos a while ago.

Years ago almost all pens came with a fancy box of one type or another, but not a kimono or pen rest. If you go back years further the urushi and maki-e also had kimonos and urushi pen pillows in addition to the fancy large piano black box.