My Ranga Experience

KingRoach

Hi all. With reluctance I make this post about a little conundrum I have, as I do not wish to sound negative or to affect the good business of genuine makers. This is a personal experience and I would like some advice or thoughts on what best to do.

I've been after a pen to use my two Bock 8 nibs, and when the last premium-acrylic group buy by Ranga came up, I was sold on it and made a purchace.

I've bought a Ranga Model 5 clipless in premium acrylic from the latest group buy. It took a bit longer than others but it arrived in the end. I asked for a Bock 8 section and a Jowo 6 section so that I can also use my many other Jowo 6 nibs on it.

The pen arrived eventually and is beautiful and good in the hand. I've had a couple particular issues on it.

A. The Bock 8 threads slip on the last turn. Instead of holding the nib firm, they slip and make an extra turn, and so on. This makes me worry about ink seal if nothing else, or worried to actually lose the threads after a while.

B. The included Schmidt converters are IMPOSSIBLE to push in and pull out. And this worries me this would either crack the acrylic eventually, or crack the cartridge/converters. Some of the corners of the inner round edge slightly cracked already (not cracked, more like pieces from the edge fell off, but this an indication of what is possible.)

One result of the combination of the above two issues is that the Bock 8 can actually only be used in eyedropper mode as it does not seem to engage the converter well. The nib only seems to take ink "spilled" into the section.

I've taken a video of it and showed it to Ranga, hoping for a solution or an easy suggestion. Maybe there is somehting I could do. Maybe they are all just like that, it was my first Ranga after all.

They agree they are extra tight.

The first suggestion they made was unreasonable. They said they would refund the price of the extra section. That would mean I bought a pen which is only reliable with Jowo6 nibs, which isn't what I spent my money for.

Their second suggestion (also something which I suggested sadly) was to send it back and get a full refund.

Now to give them credit, that is great professional customer care. But I worry what would happen in the future. If I send the pen back, this first Ranga would be my last Ranga ever. It would just be awkward to order another one of the same model afterwards to see if the threads and converter cylinders are good the next time around. Let alone I'd have lost the group-buy price point.

The above exchange with them was last month because after that I travelled and was away and busy for so long.
Today, I got an answer from a YouTuber who just reviewed one of these pens. They say their pen has good converter fit, not an extra tight one.

Now I feel awkward and don't know what to do. All in all, I like the pen if it didn't have these two (important) issues. I'd have just kept it if it didn't have the issues.

Do I keep the pen with issues because it is a one-off anyway and has nice acrylic (and only use it with Jowo 6 nibs)? Do I send it back now and lose it (if they still agree to take it back) and order another one, maybe from a different maker of pens that accommodate Bock 8's?

Has anybody been in a situation like this? What is the best course of action. I know the answer is personal and will rest with me in the end, but some hive mind will help me get my head straight.

Thanks for reading.

Best regards

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KingRoach

• mpkandan

• Jamerelbe

• Dupontdelamare

Hi @KingRoach, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience - it really is a shame! With handmade pens, there's always the risk that something like this can happen - especially when the manufacturers are working with something new to them (the Bock #8 nibs are something they've only recently started to offer). I have >5 Ranga pens, most of them purchased via FPN Group Buy, and all but two of them designed to take JoWo or Bock #6 nib units. None of them have had a problem like this.

Can I suggest a third option? If Ranga are happy to do this, send the pen back for them to repair or replace the #8 section. Because the pens are handmade, they can't replace the section without having at least the pen body in hand to match up (I know this because I asked about buying a replacement section for my Ranga Duofold, which is an eyedropper - I'd much prefer it as a cartridge-converter pen, but no can do...). This may cost you extra in terms of shipping costs (unless they're prepared to eat that too!), but would mean a functioning pen back in your hands at the end of it.

I would think this would be in Ranga's best interest: if they can't fix your pen, they can re-sell it with the #6 grip section only, and create a whole new pen for you without losing out entirely. Besides, they'll surely want you to be a satisfied customer, who can come back to this forum (and any other you may have written on) singing their praises for a good resolution.

Like you, I'm sure this was a "good faith error" - such things happen with manufacturers of every size - and I expect Ranga would much rather have a happy (and returning) customer if they can accomplish that!

They should send you a new pen with better quality control. Sending the pen back at their cost and getting it reworked and send back to you might be same price as making you a new one for free.

Simply cancelling the order makes other people hesitate to order with them.

Hi all. With reluctance I make this post about a little conundrum I have, as I do not wish to sound negative or to affect the good business of genuine makers. This is a personal experience and I would like some advice or thoughts on what best to do.

I've been after a pen to use my two Bock 8 nibs, and when the last premium-acrylic group buy by Ranga came up, I was sold on it and made a purchace.

I've bought a Ranga Model 5 clipless in premium acrylic from the latest group buy. It took a bit longer than others but it arrived in the end. I asked for a Bock 8 section and a Jowo 6 section so that I can also use my many other Jowo 6 nibs on it.

The pen arrived eventually and is beautiful and good in the hand. I've had a couple particular issues on it.

A. The Bock 8 threads slip on the last turn. Instead of holding the nib firm, they slip and make an extra turn, and so on. This makes me worry about ink seal if nothing else, or worried to actually lose the threads after a while.

B. The included Schmidt converters are IMPOSSIBLE to push in and pull out. And this worries me this would either crack the acrylic eventually, or crack the cartridge/converters. Some of the corners of the inner round edge slightly cracked already (not cracked, more like pieces from the edge fell off, but this an indication of what is possible.)

One result of the combination of the above two issues is that the Bock 8 can actually only be used in eyedropper mode as it does not seem to engage the converter well. The nib only seems to take ink "spilled" into the section.

I've taken a video of it and showed it to Ranga, hoping for a solution or an easy suggestion. Maybe there is somehting I could do. Maybe they are all just like that, it was my first Ranga after all.

They agree they are extra tight.

The first suggestion they made was unreasonable. They said they would refund the price of the extra section. That would mean I bought a pen which is only reliable with Jowo6 nibs, which isn't what I spent my money for.

Their second suggestion (also something which I suggested sadly) was to send it back and get a full refund.

Now to give them credit, that is great professional customer care. But I worry what would happen in the future. If I send the pen back, this first Ranga would be my last Ranga ever. It would just be awkward to order another one of the same model afterwards to see if the threads and converter cylinders are good the next time around. Let alone I'd have lost the group-buy price point.

The above exchange with them was last month because after that I travelled and was away and busy for so long.

Today, I got an answer from a YouTuber who just reviewed one of these pens. They say their pen has good converter fit, not an extra tight one.

Now I feel awkward and don't know what to do. All in all, I like the pen if it didn't have these two (important) issues. I'd have just kept it if it didn't have the issues.

Do I keep the pen with issues because it is a one-off anyway and has nice acrylic (and only use it with Jowo 6 nibs)? Do I send it back now and lose it (if they still agree to take it back) and order another one, maybe from a different maker of pens that accommodate Bock 8's?

Has anybody been in a situation like this? What is the best course of action. I know the answer is personal and will rest with me in the end, but some hive mind will help me get my head straight.

Thanks for reading.

Best regards

Dear Sir,

Hope you are fine. Thanks for your message.

I remember this issue. I'm waiting for you to come back from your travel

Please feel free to contact us to resolve the issue

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Thank you for your replies and support. If I had a lathe I might have attempted to fix it myself, but this is risky and I don't have a lathe (or lathe skills).

I had thought of the option suggested by Jamerelbe, but I do not want to sound like I'm asking too much. As mke said, posting back, getting it fixed and then posted back to me will cost them as much as another pen.

Seeing that Mr Kandan has replied here, I'll follow my conversation with him and see what he suggests to do.

Dear Sir,

Hope you are fine. Thanks for your message.

I remember this issue. I'm waiting for you to come back from your travel

Please feel free to contact us to resolve the issue

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Hi Mr Kandan, I'd just come back from travel, which is why I could make this post.

I shall return to our email conversation to work out what is best to do right now.

Best regards

• 2 months later...

KingRoach, unless the threading on size 6 and size 8 nibs are identical, may be it is a better idea to have two pens each dedicated to one nib size?

If this pen works well with a size 6 nib, I would personally keep it like that and order another specifically for size 8. It strikes me that compromise solutions often have a weakness; but that is just my personal take.
regards

Dupontdelamare

Wait, they sold you one section that could supposedly take a 6 and an 8? I didn't think that was even possible.

I hope they make things right for you. They've been great for me, I love my 8C eyedropper and 3C Bock /w a titanium nib.

Personally, I would just ask for two new sections to be sent, one for the #6 and one for the #8. It strikes me as odd that they could be interchangable.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Wait, they sold you one section that could supposedly take a 6 and an 8? I didn't think that was even possible.

I hope they make things right for you. They've been great for me, I love my 8C eyedropper and 3C Bock /w a titanium nib.

Personally, I would just ask for two new sections to be sent, one for the #6 and one for the #8. It strikes me as odd that they could be interchangable.

Unless I read it wrong, the OP ordered two sections for the pen - one to take a #6 nib, and a second to take the #8.

They just goofed the threads for the Bock unit. Have them make you a new section (should be done at no cost) and on this new one, enlarge the back of the section where the converter goes in, so, well, so the converter can go in easier. I do this on all my longer sections b/c the clear part of the converter is thicker than the little silver front end, and the drill bit I use doesn't allow for a really deep fit of the converter. So I sand the inside back (threaded tenon) part of some of my sections, until the converter slips in and out easily.

We Give Away Scholarships! - Support High School Students Going to College

Dear All,

We fully refunded it long back. Customer has returned it. But it seems it has been lost in the post.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Hi all and thanks for passing by. I'll clarify a couple things and hopefully close the thread. The only purpose of the thread was to help me make a decision, which was done a while ago now and so this is now over.

jamerelbe is correct, I had ordered 2 different sections, one for Bock 8 nibs, and one for Jowo 6 nibs. The jowo 6 threads were good. The Bock 8 threads were not. And both sections were impossible to pull the converter out of, or fit it deep enough without fear of cracking.

I hinted to Ranga if they could only remake a section or find me a solution. It was their preferred solution that I return the pen and get a refund. This was not my preferred solution because the pen was nice if those problems were fixed, and it was also my very first Ranga pen (and first custom pen altogether) which I thought was special.

I have since posted the pen back and sent my proof of postage by email. Ranga Pens refunded me completely and even covered return postal cost.

They have been very nice to deal with through and through, so I regret that I had to send the pen back, and that I am not likely to order another one any time soon. I have no doubt they are a good pen maker as others sing praise of their pens.

At last, I am sorry to hear you say the pen hasn't made it back. This is a very sad end indeed as it has been sent a long time ago. This is why I documented my postal label and proof of postage.

I hope it finds its way home eventually.

Best regards to all.

I have also had problems with the threads on two of my Ranga pens being oversized and not securing the nib cartridges. I think they are trying to get the pens out of the door too quickly and failing to check things properly. Manual thread cutting without a tap needs care and attention to get the sizing exactly right an that is not compatible with getting a large batch out the door. I have also complained about opening the pen and finding the interior dripping wet. Not what you want to see after the pen has spent several weeks in transit. I like my Ranga pens and the majority that work are really nice but I am hesitant to buy any more.

Edited by Steveg58