Visconti Magnetic Cap Lost Strength

cz100

I have a Visconti Michelangelo back to black edition purchased about 3 years ago. More recently I've felt the magnetic cap is very weak and doesn't feel secure compared to how it was initially. Just today I got a new Visconti Van Gogh with similar magnetic cap and there is definitely a difference in the strength of the cap seal. The Michelangelo is past the 2 year warranty, is there any way of adjusting the cap to fix the magnet? It still works but I wouldn't dare put it in any pocket etc as the cap comes off very easily indeed.

Thanks for any advice.

Waterman Elegance & Hemisphere; Sheaffer Prelude & Agio; Cross Townsend, Sauvage, Sentiment, Spire; Parker Urban & Frontier; The list keeps growing, now have 40 and counting.

A teenager who like fountain pens. This is the only place I can talk about them without getting weird looks.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doug C

• Ron Z

• by78

• MHBru

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you ever get an answer? I have a Visconti Dali Surrealist and the magnet has completely disintegrated. I first noticed dark residue when I uncapped the pen and at first thought it was dried ink. I realized what the residue was when the cap would no longer stay on the pen. From web searches, I found out that you should never put liquid in the cap since that can cause the magnet to rust and disintegrate. The cap will not stay on the pen at all and it is well beyond the warranty period. 

17 hours ago, pencils+pens said:

From web searches, I found out that you should never put liquid in the cap since that can cause the magnet to rust and disintegrate.

Brilliant.  Don't ink your pen because it could leak into the cap, rust the magnet and.... 

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Over a longer period of time, random temperature fluctuations, stray magnetic fields and mechanical movement will cause magnetic properties to decay. However, this effect is very slow. If magnets are handled carefully and stored with metal keepers between their poles to constrain the magnetic fields, they will last for many years. Modern magnets made of rare earth alloys may even last for centuries. 

That quote is from an article in New Scientist 2020.

I guess the pertinent question to ask is what the Visconti magnets are made of.

1 hour ago, Ron Z said:

Brilliant.  Don't ink your pen because it could leak into the cap, rust the magnet and.... 

Or even just water vapour from the inked nib and feed, if you cap the pen and leave it unused for a while, I guess!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Ah, that famous Visconti quality strikes again. Some say there's an idiot born every minute, and I say Visconti is a testament to that sad truth.

Live and learn and NEVER buy a Visconti again. That's how you can truly resolve the problem.

A colleague and I were texting about this the other day.  Expensive Visconti, beautiful pen.  Wouldn't write.  I was tempted to mark the invoice "standard Visconti nib repair and feed modification."   We do them so often....

I suppose that the owner could try to remagnetize the cap.  Use a bulk tape eraser (what's that?).  If you turn on the tape eraser it crates a strong magnetic field.  Turn the eraser on with the cap near it, and then turn it off.  The sudden collapse of the field will magnetize the steel.   To demangnetize, you energize the bulk eraser, and then slowly move the cap away, and when an arms length away, turn off the demagnetizer.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I'd still like to know if Visconti are using rare earth magnets.  If so there is likely to be a insignificant loss of magnetism across the lifespan of the pen under typical conditions.

6 hours ago, Ron Z said:

I was tempted to mark the invoice "standard Visconti nib repair and feed modification."   We do them so often....

ooo - burn

I wonder if the pen need a trip to the south pole to invert the field…

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

first the crappy quality on the nib and now after just a few years of pristine care the magnet has failed.  I had already sworn off Visconti pens and their fate was already sealed with me.  all this does is confirm my decision.  they should be embarrassed to show their faces in public.

I have newer Viscontis that have magnetic caps with no problems.  Just that one van Gogh. 

the Danitrio Fellowship

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2022 at 3:35 PM, Doug C said:

I have newer Viscontis that have magnetic caps with no problems.  Just that one van Gogh. 

Stop apologizing for Visconti. Start demanding that they do better.

1 hour ago, by78 said:

Wasn’t the comment suggesting that Visconti was doing better?

5 hours ago, by78 said:

It was a simple statement of (observed) fact. None of us (except the poster) knows the intent behind the statement. 

14 hours ago, Mulrich said:

Wasn’t the comment suggesting that Visconti was doing better?

You are correct- in my opinion.  I have probably 10-12 Viscontis and most have had no issues of any kind. That is not to say that mediocre qc for an expensive product is not inexcusable.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Just now, Doug C said:

You are correct- in my opinion.  I have probably 10-12 Viscontis and most have had no issues of any kind. That is not to say that mediocre qc for an expensive product is acceptable. 

the Danitrio Fellowship