Help Needed On A Falcon

Checklist

I just bought a Falcon off of eBay, and the pen is as gorgeous as I expected. However, it does not seem to write like other people describe. It's very dry and scratchy. The samples below were written in the same ink, but one was with a modern Sonnet, while the other was with the Falcon. Both nibs are marked as fines. Is this normal for the Falcon? If not, what are some possible fixes? (Please keep in mind that I have never serviced a pen before.)

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Checklist

• Glenn-SC

• jchch1950

• RichM

Top Posters In This Topic

Japanese pens tend to have much finer nibs that Western pens (American and European). A Japanese Fine is, indeed, probably more similar to a Western Extra-Fine. I have a couple of modern Parkers, and find them wider than average, so that makes the comparison even tougher. My first Pilot, a Metropolitan, had a Medium nib that was finer that my finest Western Fine.

Japanese pens tend to have much finer nibs that Western pens (American and European). A Japanese Fine is, indeed, probably more similar to a Western Extra-Fine.

Since this is the Parker forum, I believe that the OP is talking about a Parker 50 "Falcon" and not a Namiki.

I have several Falcons and they tend to write on the dry side.

I have not tried to mess with that integral nib/hood to open up the flow.

Sorry.

So, to clear things up, I am talking about my new Parker 50. After a little break, it did start writing better. Still finer than the Sonnet, but wetter and more consistent.

Can't post a picture right now; I'm away from my pen. Please leave a message after the tone.

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes

Beep.

The scratchiness doesn't sound good, you should check tine alignment; pens that generate lighter inks can be an advantage depending on your preferences, I really appreciate how Asa Gao comes out of my 75 with its 18k nib, or Kon Peki in an 18k Pelikan.

You can probably make it wetter if you wanted to, I just pressed *a little bit* on a 21k Sailor Pro Gear to do so, but you should make sure that would be safe with this pen's nib design and material (steel?).

Since it's such a special pen, you might want to send it to someone who does this for a living, just saying as a general klutz with a long inglorious line of mangled nibs...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

fpn_1518645148__pendrops3_-_1.jpg

My friends Falcon had sat in a desk drawer for over a decade.

After many flushes, I soaked the section and nib, overnight in clean cold tap water (pic).

Got some gooey ink out of it.

Wrote well afterwards, sometrimes had unpredictable dry starts, during the time I had it. But, always smooth.

She was delighted with it and used it immediately - but I know for a fact that it's back in the desk drawer, now.

Nice pens.Congratulations.

I can't really recommend the soak, as I don't know the glues/fixers etc. used in the construction - but my one night soak didn't do it any harm.

Good luck.

Edited by CS388

Well, the pen started acting up again, so I emptied it, cleaned it, and took another look. Looks like there's a gouge in the tipping material. Now, I'm debating whether to send it back. It's a pity; it really is a beautiful pen.