Esterbrook Steel Pen Display Case, 120+ Years Old

AAAndrew

Was doing research in the collection of a small-town historical society and this was on display. The volunteer in charge let me take it out and photograph it.

It's fairly early. I'd place it at turn-of-the-century or possibly even a little earlier. It's missing the drawer in the back, but it has the opening for it.

The packet inside it was for a few 048 Falcons sold through the nearby Northampton (Massachusetts) Commercial College which opened sometime before 1889 and closed in 1973.

Just thought y'all might appreciate it.

fpn_1566498661__esterbrook_case_1_smalle

fpn_1566498680__esterbrook_case_2_smalle

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Heath

• AAAndrew

• inkstainedruth

• aalmcc4

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for sharing

Recently I bought a Nib box by the Rexall Drug company

It came with oodles of Steel dipping pens by Spencerian , similar wood box as the above Esterbtook

Same sale included a very cool , wooden pencil tip sharpnee circa 1890

Also a vintage LE Waterman table top counter display glass on 3 sides + top

about 17" long x 9" deep x 5"" high rear entry Locking back door , Gilded LE WATERMAN

I printed these attachments from written note without decent thumb nails I not accurate I eWill attempt to re post.

The Goodell Company of Antrim, NH made "The Perfect Pencil Pointer " circa 1890

pencil is placed tip 1st into holder then slides along the guide across a semi course steel file which then places a crisp tip on the Graphite lead Bankers, Draftsmen anyone needing a "Sharp Pencil"

maybe the New Car Salesman : )

post-31540-0-44939200-1567631169.jpg

post-31540-0-68288600-1567631395.jpg

post-31540-0-83072300-1567631478.jpg

post-31540-0-77119600-1567631543.jpg

post-31540-0-55957500-1567632065.jpg

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

Revised about the nibs, Rexall box, vintage steel nibs by Spencerian, Goodell Company-

wood pencil tip maker about 80 Spencerian Steel nib

s various shapes an sizes are available

sorry my photos could be confusing hoping to clarify here.

hope you don't mind this aff on post here, but i thought it might just tie in wt Andrews Esterbtook nib display

questions invited

I suspect the LE Counter-top display to date 1910 thru 1916 pre WWI

The Interior case is Waterman Re pro.

post-31540-0-50421300-1567634324.jpg

post-31540-0-11052100-1567634385.jpg

post-31540-0-72058500-1567634432.jpg

post-31540-0-86762000-1567634471.jpg

post-31540-0-95099500-1567634545.jpg

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

Woah! Amazing finds! the Rexall case and Waterman case are very cool, but I have to say the pencil pointer is my favorite. That's Awesome!!

thanks for sharing!

Andrew

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

Very cool. A few years ago I was up in Boston and went to Bromfield's Pen Shop. On the way back to the T-station, I passed a collectibles store in the next block (mostly sports memorabilia). In the window there was a cardboard Esterbrook display card with a couple of nib holders and about ten different drawing and calligraphy nibs -- and for ten bucks it became mine.

Now if I can only remember where in the house it is.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Here is an image of the display case from 1914. I'm looking for earlier, but I have at least to this date.

fpn_1567704180__pen_cases_how_to_sell_pe

-Montaigne

Here is an image of the display case from 1914. I'm looking for earlier, but I have at least to this date.

fpn_1567704180__pen_cases_how_to_sell_pe

Very interesting. I was less looking at the part of the ad showing the case, and more at the sidebar. The "sample card" I have is very different: it's horizontal and has the holders and then the nibs across the bottom in a single row, so I'm wondering if it's later marketing on Esterbrook's part.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 months later...

AAAndrew, that's awesome. I love these counter display cases. I have an Esterbrook one just like the one you posted and also a Rexall one. (Mine only came with about 100 Recall steel pens though. I absolutely love these historical artifacts! Thanks for posting!

A local antique shop near me has a similar era one for Hunt pens, but the dealer wants waaaaay too much for it and won't come down in price.

I love that pencil sharpener.

My great grandmother's sharpener is still alive and well, an american pencil co. three bladed rotary "windmill" sharpener.

The base is gone, so I'm currently going through the painstaking tedium of french polishing a big chunk of big leaf maple burl into a new base.

It makes the best sharpened pencils I've ever used, too. thing's a beast.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)