Parker Sonnets - Sterling & Metro

Eric2018

I’m not a Parker fans before, yet I bought quite some Parkers recently. Today I hope to share two recent Sonnets, a humble little review.

The parker that I truly long for is the sterling chisel, (not the Duofold), no matter the well-known 75 or the recent Sonnet. While the Metro is one of the Travel-inspired special edition, the whole series are vivid to me and I choose the black Metro for the palladium trim (as the sterling one is a GT). Both are 18k gold nib and France made.

Date code

The Prestige is IIE

The Metro is Y

Weight

Capped: Sterling: 33g Metro:31g

Uncapped: Both 21g

Package

It’s a recent Parker package, just a bit smaller than the Duofold one. I’m not a fancy package guy, so what to say? Umm, rigid, protective and good looking. With a card, a manual, two cartridges and a converter.

dKgR9mm.jpg

Outlook

The Prestige (sterling chisel): A classic legend, irresistible, I remembered my father used a sterling 75 ballpoint pen more than four decades ago, and I miss him. I love the pattern throughout the whole pen. And the sterling mark at the cap makes it more classic. About the Metro: Special edition, stylish, not luxury. The cap design is imitating an illuminous street map. And I like the brushed BLACK metal section, it is really metropolitan-looking.

KvymCk8.jpg

RBtEyWr.jpg

The nib

Sterling: It’s an 18k Medium nib. Some said the Sonnet nib has hard-start and dry-up problems. So when I bought two Sonnets at the same time, the feeling is risky. Put it simple to this pen, hard start: yes, but very little. Dry-up: seems not. Upon keeping the pen untouched for overnight, or even for 10 days (I tried), the first stroke is always ink-less, but it returns to juicy on the next stroke, and I could accept it. Metro: 18k Fine nib, mono tone, rhodium plated, with special design. But there is NO hard start problem even on 10 days untouched.

6OWij9V.jpg

Nh9l22D.jpg

Both nib are stiff, not bouncy and no flex at all, so no line variation could be expected, but very reliable and I like the feedback generated. It makes the writing faster and probably a good workhorse for writing. The ink supply is sufficient even in quick dash lines. Yet the line width is very similar for both fine and medium. I like the nib.

J4jjpSQ.jpg

Comfortability

Many pens are good looking, many are expensive, but not too many pens attract me by comfortability. Sonnet got my full marks score in it, and I know it’s personal. The balance and the size suits my hands and I always have a happy feeling when holding these Sonnets (probably come from the weight and the feeling). And I prefer the Sonnet for the round barrel end, which makes the pen more comfortable on hand.

Cartridge

I love parker cartridges. It’s huge… love it. And the performance of the Quink is also efficient.

Little Conclusion

I love them both, even compare to the Duofold Centennial.

Definitely a good workhorse.

Convenient snap cap, feeling secure, wonderful in working environment.

I think the official market price of modern Parkers are really over-priced, so make sure to get a good price tag.

Thanks for watching, sorry for the picture size.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eric2018

• mazinger55

• gmax

• AL01

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a very nice review, and I especially appreciate the high quality images of the "special edition" pen.

Thanks for sharing, and enjoy your pens :)

✒️ :happyberet:

What a wonderful review.

I have always had a desire to buy a Sonnet...

Ah, that day has come closer...

Appreciate the thoroughness and detail in your review. Thanks. I have several and have been a long time fan of these as daily workhorses.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Sonnet. Its underrated.

Do you find the new nib with the slit not all the way to the breather hole stiffer compared to previous version?

I am tempted to get Metro but I dont like metal grip sections. They are usually cold and slippery.

post-117416-0-45505700-1568758359_thumb.jpeg

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

Do you find the new nib with the slit not all the way to the breather hole stiffer compared to previous version?

I am tempted to get Metro but I dont like metal grip sections. They are usually cold and slippery.

They really are, I didn't have them noticed. Thanks for the tips!

LOL. The "ink vaporisation mechanism" for the Sonnet is really "EFFECTIVE" (for both pens ofcos).

And I know why the cartridge must be huge... for less than a month, (as I didn't write much with them) the whole cartridge is vaporised.....

That Metro is a really gorgeous specimen! I've recently been given a fine nibbed Sonnet and I am really liking putting it through its paces. Enjoy your beauties!

Love my Sonnets. I have one of the earliest models, as well as a later Cisele model. Never had any of the problems others have had -- perhaps I'm just lucky.

My 2014 18K nib with a slit that doesn't reach the breath hole, still significantly springier than Sonnet MK I. stainless steel nib.

BTW, Sonnet is highly modular, you can exchange between section, nib, barrel and cap. i.e. you could fit a Sonnet Metro cap with Deluxe Mk. I section and Mk. I Dual-tone nib and an eye-catching Terracotta barrel

The nib

Sterling: It’s an 18k Medium nib. Some said the Sonnet nib has hard-start and dry-up problems. So when I bought two Sonnets at the same time, the feeling is risky. Put it simple to this pen, hard start: yes, but very little. Dry-up: seems not. Upon keeping the pen untouched for overnight, or even for 10 days (I tried), the first stroke is always ink-less, but it returns to juicy on the next stroke, and I could accept it. Metro: 18k Fine nib, mono tone, rhodium plated, with special design. But there is NO hard start problem even on 10 days untouched.

The hard-start and dry-up problems go away with flushing and/or heavy usage (1-2 A4 pages) for a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review!

Yes I agree, lovely, reliable pens. I have the sterling silver Sonnet in medium and have had no issues with hard starts, nib dry-out etc. Nice line width, good balance and feel and just keeps on working. And also a "looker" to boot...