Nemosine Is Going Away. Clearance On All Their Stuff

Honeybadgers

Nemosine has added back some nib sizes in their sale of Fissions. I wanted a 0.6 stub and a few days ago they were out of them. Today I decided to get something and the 0.6 stub fissions were back.

They have been out of inks for quite a while. I wanted a bottle of Solar Storm 1859, because the other name for that solar storm was the Carrington Event. Since that is my last name, I really wanted some of that ink, or failing that an empty bottle. There is no more ink, but Josh is sending me an empty bottle for free. So, A++ for Josh and Nemosine customer service.

Carrington Event: https://www.history.com/news/a-perfect-solar-superstorm-the-1859-carrington-event

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• A Smug Dill

• Honeybadgers

• thudthwacker

Oh good! I got an OB Knox nib as part of a bundle deal. It is supposed to fit a TWSBI Eco. Trouble is, I do not know how to remove an Eco nib to make the swap.

Grip firmly the nib and feed, and pull both straight out.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Bought a Singularity Coral a few months ago when on sale....very nice wet M nib.....really nice pen for the money with a great nib. sorry to see them go.

Eric.

A while back, I placed an order with Nemosine for one Neutrino, two Singularity and three Fission pens, but I never "got around to" using any of the Fission pens (fitted with Extra Fine, 0.6mm Stub and 0.8mm Stub #6 nibs respectively) and seeing for myself how the much-lauded nibs are, because I didn't have any intention of ordering any more — until earlier tonight. I like the Neutrino a lot, probably more than the similarly sized Aurora Ipsilon, but to make an order worthwhile in view of the shipping charges, I'd have to buy ten or so pens.

I flushed all the nibs on the Fission pens, filled one converter with Diamine Evergreen ink, and just used it (and one single pen barrel) with each nib to see how they write. In case anyone may find it useful, here's a scan of the writing sample.

fpn_1567075359__writing_samples_from_var

All three Fission nibs — especially the Stub nibs — were slightly scratchy, just enough to pick up fibres repeatedly (but not exactly continually) from the surface of the very smooth Rhodia Dotpad No.16 paper, whereas the Neutrino nib always wrote smoothly. The 0.8mm Stub nib did not lay down broader lines than the 0.6mm Stub nib, but then as you can probably see from the writing sample, the former is rather drier than the latter. The heft and girth of the Fission pen barrel (without posting the cap) are not enough to be really uncomfortable, but I find the Neutrino a lot more pleasant to use; and the sharp step-down on the Fission kept annoying me. I like the EF nib on the Neutrino the best; the Fission nibs are OK, and I appreciate that the EF nib is really fine and the Stub nibs produce a suitable amount of line variation for italic writing, but given that the pens themselves are not what I enjoy writing with, essentially I'd be paying >US$17 per nib (i.e. price of the pen plus apportioned shipping charges) if I was of a mind to transplant the #6 nibs into some other pens.

Given that I cannot order any more Neutrino pens with EF nibs (and wasn't able to, when I was looking at this last week), I guess I won't be placing an order using Fission pens to get to ten items or more after all.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I see the Medium and 1.1 Stub nibs for the Neutrino pens now appear in stock again; a few hours ago there were only Fine nibs and nothing else. But I still can't get them with Extra Fine nibs. Oh well, no deal. Maybe I'll buy a Lamy 2000 on pre-order from EP as a kick-around pen instead of the Neutrino.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

The neutrino is nice but the fit/finish on it is nowhere near the L2k. It's more of an alternative to the pilot metro than anything else.

Don't you have a 2000 yet, Gil?

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Nope. Never been keen enough, even less so than I was with Pelikan pens. (I did buy a Lamy Imporium to try a Lamy gold nib.)

The blue-black limited edition looks interesting, but neither LCdC nor Endless Pens has listed it, and I only just came across it this morning while doing research for a reply in some other thread. The Makrolon version can now be pre-ordered for US$112.50, but then I'll have to find something to top the order up and avoid, or at least minimise, the international shipping charges.

<EDIT>

I just had a chat with Savannah at Endless Pens, and even she cautioned me that the EF nib on the Lamy 2000 is known to be broader, when we discussed EF-nibbed Lamy pens more generally (as I was looking at some options with which to top up the order), so I might just pull back.

Edited by A Smug Dill

It's worth it. The nib is good but nothing world changing (you may want to set aside some money for a custom grind, even the EF is a little wide for what you'd probably like) but the fit and finish are easily on par with stuff north of a thousand dollars. It's very satisfying how the piston knob is so finely made that it just goes from invisible to appearing when you unscrew it.

Edited by Honeybadgers

This whole factoring in money for a custom grind thing just doesn't work for me, except when buying from Nibsmith.com and Nibs.com which will include the service (for an additional fee or otherwise) as part of the sales process. Deciding to get nib work done after receiving the pen (and having tested how it writes out-of-the-box) add a ridiculous amount of expense in shipping the pen overseas and back, not to mention the delays in transit and sitting in a nibmeister's queue.

For a pen like the Lamy 2000 Makrolon it'll cost more than the pen itself, and I can already conclude it's not worth it because... it's a Lamy 2000, not a Nakaya or some other "high-end" Japanese or German pen that carries prestige and distinction (possibly as a limited edition that is "artifically" rare or otherwise). It's a boring-looking workhorse-class pen that isn't going to please me more than a plain black Sailor Professional Gear with an F or EF nib that I can trust, by reputation and also lots of first-hand experience with Sailor gold nibs with the 1911 imprint. The whole point of my getting a Lamy 2000 would be to see for myself what it's like, that so many people here seem to rave about (and also more than a few who said they were disappointed or just plain didn't like it), not how to get a good pen out of the expenditure (or additional expenditure!) by customisation.

Piston-fillers earn no extra points with me; I do my best not to see them as a negative categorically. Large ink capacities earn no extra points with me. Wet nibs earn no extra points with me. "Understated" and "classic" with specific reference to European or American sensibilities earn no extra points with me. Lamy as a brand earn no extra points with me, although I'm starting to see the brand more favourably because it's releasing a limited edition blue-black Lamy 2000 and a super limited-edition Dialog Urushi set (which I can't afford), and the Imporium TiPt I got recently is quite nice for a gold-nibbed pen. The only thing going for the Lamy 2000 as a prospective purchase is my curiosity. In my opinion, the best way to relate to fellow fountain pen hobbyists is not actually to share a love for something in particular, or rejoice in the same traits, but simply to have tried something commonly known and formed an informed opinion as yet another (dare I say, equally as valid) data point for the wider community to see.

I feel slightly "bad" to be inclined to be dismissive of the Lamy 2000 by looks and design (including being a piston-filler) alone, without having used one and compared it with the Imporium, as well as gold-nibbed Pelikan, Aurora and Sailor pens (all of which also make piston-fillers). Spending US$115 or thereabouts to get one, and not expecting to like it -- but open to being wowed, if by some miracle of inconsistency the nib actually writes crisply and precisely -- is sorta a penance.

Anyway, none of that has anything to do with Nemosine, an American brand that was never in the same league as Lamy and such brands in the industry or "the hobby", although some of its models can be fairly compared with steel-nibbed Lamy, Pelikan, Aurora and Sailor pens. I still say the Nemosine Neutrino could compete with a much pricier steel-nibbed Aurora Ipsilon (but I don't own one of the latter, only a gold-nibbed Aurora Ipsilon Quadra Cento Italia). Could the Nemosine Singularity take on, say, the Pelikan P205 or Sailor Procolor 500? Probably not exactly, but then the Singularity is much cheaper. I don't know what the Nemosine Fission could compare against; now that I've used one to do some writing samples, I can say I just really don't enjoy holding it and writing with it, even though I'm perfectly happy with fat and/or heavy pens such as the Delta Sea Wood (which isn't heavy) or Rotring Initial (which is heavy).

I had a Singularity, Neutrino, and Fission prior to the announcement; liked them all, but the Neutrino in particular for the really nice nib as well as the heft of the pen vs. the size - as was mentioned above, a good alternative to the Pilot Metro. For people who are interested in the Nemosine nibs, Nick has very nice package deals on his site: TWSBI+Nemosine+ 2 nibs. I'm glad that Josh will be working with Nick. I have a Sixth Avenue that I have mixed feelings about (prob just need a different converter), and I think that the brothers working together will come up with pens many people would really like.

• 2 weeks later...

I really wanted a Singularity but the cost of shipping to the UK was insane so sadly I never got one, if anyone has a spare one with a medium nib I'd be very interested.

Al

Al, if you want we can share the shipping costs. Will send you a PM.

Looks like the nibs are on sale now for 50% off, and listings for the remaining Singularity pen inventory have also been put up. I really like the Singularity I got a little while back, so I caved and bought another one.

I bought a Singularity also. I told myself I wouldn't but any more cheap pens just for the sake of buying a pen, but they're local to me and it was $12 including shipping.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

the Fission nibs are OK, and I appreciate that the EF nib is really fine and the Stub nibs produce a suitable amount of line variation for italic writing, but given that the pens themselves are not what I enjoy writing with, essentially I'd be paying >US$17 per nib (i.e. price of the pen plus apportioned shipping charges) if I was of a mind to transplant the #6 nibs into some other pens._...‹snip›... I guess I won't be placing an order using Fission pens to get to ten items or more after all.

Looks like the nibs are on sale now for 50% off, and listings for the remaining Singularity pen inventory have also been put up.

Thank you for the heads-up! I just placed an order for ten Singularity pens for the #6 JoWo nibs; effectively that's just paying an additional US$0.50 for the pen instead of just a standalone nib, and Nemosine wasn't going to get out of bed and ship my order to Australia for less than US$25.68 even if I only ordered one nib.

Glad I saw this thread. There are a lot of positive mentions out there, especially of the Singularity, but I hadn't previously pulled the trigger on one. Still haven't actually - I just impulse shopped a Fission with a converter and a box of the recommended blue cartridges - and a spare nib, too.

- P.

Ugh, here Ive been hesitating on a white TWSBI Eco, but see that Singularity pens are back, and merrily buy 5. At least PayPal lets Discover Card payers use cash back bonus on purchases now.

I will probably give 2 to my brother. Sunglow will be mine. I got all stub nibs, plus the ink cartridges and a #5 nib for my Neutrino. I almost got a Neutrino in nickel, but didnt.

I loved the space themes of Nemosine. I will miss them. Never got the bottled ink because I thought I had time.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

I agree, the Fission Pen is heavy. I tend to swap pens while writing letters, so I can get by with a few heavy pens.

And WalterC is right about the customer service. The good news is Nick at Birmingham is good at it too. I ordered two bundles with different ink, but decided I wanted to get the same ink in each bundle. I wrote asking if it could be done soon after placing the order. The next day, Nick wrote back that yes, both bundles could have the same ink (one bundle is a gift).

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

I ended up buying 4 singularities yesterday, one in each round nib size. A bit of an impulsive purchase but having the 4 jowo nibs that come with them cushions the blow.

What sealed the deal for me is that they are apparently eye dropperable, so they may make good work pens (especially the EF).

I cleaned two Singularity pens, so all three are clean. Waiting on the new ones I ordered to arrive. Once they are here, I’ll decide which to keep. It is Granite vs Velvet Black, and Polar vs Ivory. Granite is leading, but I will need to see the other two to decide on that pair.

Posted Image