... Nakaya vs Other FPs ? ...

TMLee

For the same $price, would you opt for a Nakaya rather than another brand and why ?

Edited by TMLee

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dan Carmell

• hexyr

• skipwilliams

• DrPJM1

I want a Nakaya sooooooooooo much.

But, I am going to wait until I can go to Japan and have made to my hand.

So, the likelihood of owning one is not very good.

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

I have been debating about getting a Nakaya pen myself. I was going to start a thread are they worth it?

I would love a maki-e but since that is not happening.

I was thinking either a cigar long model or the decapod.

I even have the order page saved in my fav place.

TC

L

Email me for an updated list of ink for trade or if you want to exchange letters

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5673/inkdz2.png

I really, really like my Nakaya, but I think that a Densho-sized Dani-Trio is just as nice. The Nakaya is a little slimmer and definitely longer. The exterior shape is a little different, with the Nakaya cleaner with it's barrel-cap having the same size vs. Dani's traditional style. This makes the gripping section thinner on a Nakaya. I have a long-sized, Shu-colored urushi Nakaya pen with a gold clip and standard nib.

The nibs are both very good and comparable.

The quality of the Urushi finish is comparable.

Price-wise, you can't beat the Dani product. A plain urushi Nakaya will run you around $500 shipped to the US. An plain urushi Densho should run under $400.

Also, I think that the Nakaya motto "for your hand" is over-rated. You can get better results by buying a standard nib and spending $40-60 to have a nib-meister do the mods. Sending a Nakaya back to Japan for "adjustment" is ludicrous, IMO. I had to pull and tweak my Nakaya nib 3 times before I actually got it right. One of the tines was too high, making the nib scratchy. I was not going to send it back, esp after waiting 6 weeks for the pen to arrive!

All the above said, I'd buy another Nakaya. Esp a blue or purple decopod, those look yummy.

Skip

Edited by skipwilliams

Skip Williams

www.skipwilliams.com/blog

I have only one Nakaya, but I am saving for another. I feel that Nakaya offers a unique product in a custom pen with finishes and nib choices that other manufacturers don't have. In addition, at least the pen I have, is an excellent quality writer that has functioned perfectly out of the box.

Nayaka pens are expensive in comparison to some pens; they are quite affordable compared to others, especially LE's. For example, although I like my Monty B 146's and my 149, there is exactly one color and one finish. The range of nib choices is good, but not extensive. For the same, or lesser, price, one can have a custom Nakaya. (I am not MB bashing. This is just a comparison.)

I can't imagine myself writing exclusively with Nayaka pens. But I will certainly include them with my best pens and strive to have several.

Price-wise, you can't beat the Dani product. A plain urushi Nakaya will run you around $500 shipped to the US. An plain urushi Densho should run under $400.

O RLY?!

I had no idea a urushi Dani is that much cheaper! I might end up going that route for my first Urushi pen. Plus I'd rather deal with winedoc then navigate the Nakaya web site.

Maybe in a couple months I'll pull the trigger. :bunny01:

happiness isn't caused

I really, really like my Nakaya, but I think that a Densho-sized Dani-Trio is just as nice. The Nakaya is a little slimmer and definitely longer. The exterior shape is a little different, with the Nakaya cleaner with it's barrel-cap having the same size vs. Dani's traditional style. This makes the gripping section thinner on a Nakaya. I have a long-sized, Shu-colored urushi Nakaya pen with a gold clip and standard nib.

The nibs are both very good and comparable.

The quality of the Urushi finish is comparable.

Also, I think that the Nakaya motto "for your hand" is over-rated. You can get better results by buying a standard nib and spending $40-60 to have a nib-meister do the mods. Sending a Nakaya back to Japan for "adjustment" is ludicrous, IMO. I had to pull and tweak my Nakaya nib 3 times before I actually got it right. One of the tines was too high, making the nib scratchy. I was not going to send it back, esp after waiting 6 weeks for the pen to arrive!

All the above said, I'd buy another Nakaya. Esp a blue or purple decopod, those look yummy.

Skip

Hi Skip

where did you get your Danitrios? I haven't found the clipless one in that range

Bad new on the purple and blue decopod they are not making them in that color now :-(

L

Email me for an updated list of ink for trade or if you want to exchange letters

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5673/inkdz2.png

I have one Nakaya Urushi now, another one almost complete, and a third that I'm finalizing details for. My first Nakaya was *perfect* out of the box - nib included.

The DaniTrio shapes don't appeal to me personally, and since Bock make their nibs, it's hard to get a good EF. Many of the Dani designs and finishes appeal to me very much though - but it seems certain pen model/nib/finish combinations are not possible. I have found Nakaya more flexible in that regard.

Nakaya offer an excellent EF nib and I have very high hopes for the Super-EF Elastic nib I have ordered - I use needlepoint nibs regularly, so for me, in the price range there is no contest. I can order from Nakaya and get a pen/nib combo I love.

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

There's nothing like having a pen custom-made just for you. You pick the body and the nib-meister watches you as you write, measures your angle and hand's weight on the nib to turn up a pne made for your hand only. I had that experience and relish my Nakaya. Of course, YMMV.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

My Nakaya is right at the top of my favorite fountain pens. Excellent OBE (out of box experience). The retired artisans making the pens are highly skilled in old technologies that will slowly disappear from the face of the earth. Great time to buy a custom fountain pen or two!

Nakaya Writer Wajima-Urushi nuri Kikyo long pen fp - Grayson Tighe Twist Damascus fp - Mont Blanc Ramses mp - Pelikan M800 (2) - Restored 1936 Conklin Nozac fp - 1935 Waterman #3 mp - Namiki Falcon fp - Lamy Al-Star fp (2) - Parker 51 (8) - Swan/Mabie Todd fp - Wality 69L (3) - et alii

Oh boy.... I can't wait for my Piccolo (single-tone, flexi M) to arrive, probably early next month. This is going to be my first Nakaya :)

I have in my collection, however, just 1 short of a dozen Platinums, Nakaya's parent company. And if my writing experience with the Platinums, especially with the #3776 Celluloids (I have the Kingyyo, Bekko and Ishigaki, and awaiting the Green/Jade to complete the set) is any indication, then the Nakaya should be a joy to use without a doubt. Although Sailor nibs are oh-so-very-very-slightly smoother, I'd say the overall writing experience with the large #3776 nibs is superior. IMHO, of course.

I'm planning to stop buying pens once I get the Jade in my hands, but if I ever restart doing so it's going to be another Nakaya, provided, of course, the Piccolo meets my expectations.

Shahrin B)

The one glaring draw-back to the lovely Nakaya pens is that none are self fillers or even eyedroppers like the Dani Trio pens. I like the look and finish of many of the Nakaya pens, but I have a problem with pens in this price range being simple cart/converter fillers. If this doesn't bother you, then there is really no other problem with Nakaya other than the widely reported nib QC. And if you like goldfish on your converters, you are really in good shape!

Dan

I got my first Nakaya earlier this week, and I absolutely love it. The Piccolo Cigar Aka-Tamenuri with a medium nib wrote perfectly out of the box, despite some of the postings about poor QC with Nakaya nibs. I'm planning to order another Nakaya soon. IMHO, there is something to be said about a custom made pen. Price being equal, I would like to get a pen that is made just for me.

RE: Dani Urushi prices? I'm almost positive that I paid just under $400 for my green urushi Densho frin Winedoc.

RE: Dani EF nibs. I've got two flexy EF's and they're superb. I don't have a stiff EF to compare, unfortunately. Like any EF's, they are sensitive, but very nice pens. I have my EF-nibbed, eyedropper Wakasa-Nuri filled today with Aurora black and it's great. That ED holds a ton of ink and the safety shut-off allows great flow control. One thing I also agree with a recent poster on was that I don't like Nakaya's inability to offer an ED.

Skip

Skip Williams

www.skipwilliams.com/blog

The Dani/Bock Flexi XF I have is a great nib BUT

- It's more an F than an XF. I've never heard of a true XF from Bock!

- The flex doesn't have "spring back" - I believe the Pilot Falcon and Nakaya do (?) Spring back is essential for classic flex look writing, I'm told.

- Jonathan

RE: Dani Urushi prices? I'm almost positive that I paid just under $400 for my green urushi Densho frin Winedoc.

RE: Dani EF nibs. I've got two flexy EF's and they're superb. I don't have a stiff EF to compare, unfortunately. Like any EF's, they are sensitive, but very nice pens. I have my EF-nibbed, eyedropper Wakasa-Nuri filled today with Aurora black and it's great. That ED holds a ton of ink and the safety shut-off allows great flow control. One thing I also agree with a recent poster on was that I don't like Nakaya's inability to offer an ED.

Skip

Hi Skip

I hope I am not driving you crazy.

Is the Winedoc (excuse my ignorance in not knowing who he is) internetpens.net??

If so the pen you got must have been on special.

Thanks you so much for all your help.

Lara

I small o-ring is all that I needed to change the goldfish converter pen into an eye-dropper. Now I've got more than enough ink for the elastic music nib!

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

For the same $price, would you opt for a Nakaya rather than another brand and why ?

I was going to get a Nakaya then decided against it. But now I'm back up to the same budget level as a Nakaya and can't really say I want it again. I'd probably go with one or two ( or 3) :rolleyes: Other quality pens so I'd have a nice range of users rather than one pen.

K

I small o-ring is all that I needed to change the goldfish converter pen into an eye-dropper. Now I've got more than enough ink for the elastic music nib!

My understanding is that there are metal parts inside the section of the Nakaya--specifically the tube that punctures the cart or fits the converter. If this part is metal, you may be damaging your pen by using it as an ED. This, at least, was the information that was presented when Nayaka first came onto the scene a few years ago.

The reason many (but not all) Dani Trio pens can be used as EDs is that all the parts are hard rubber. This is why the Takumi is not recommended for use as an ED, AIR, because it does have metal parts.

I may be wrong--I hope I am!--but if I were you, I would check into this very carefully.

best, Dan

My understanding is that there are metal parts inside the section of the Nakaya--specifically the tube that punctures the cart or fits the converter. If this part is metal, you may be damaging your pen by using it as an ED. This, at least, was the information that was presented when Nayaka first came onto the scene a few years ago.

The reason many (but not all) Dani Trio pens can be used as EDs is that all the parts are hard rubber. This is why the Takumi is not recommended for use as an ED, AIR, because it does have metal parts.

I may be wrong--I hope I am!--but if I were you, I would check into this very carefully.

best, Dan

The Takumi is apparently fine as an ED, it's the Hanryo (the next size down) that has metal threads in there. IIRC.

Mark Goody

I have a blog.