Yellow Ink Ballpoint Pen?

samfromat

Why is it so hard to find yellow ballpoint pen. I mean yellow ink ballpoint pen. I have yellow fountain pen ink. Yellow gel pens. Yellow pencils. you can find yellow in almost all art supplies. And when you want ballpoint pens, where is yellow? I have visited many art stores. I have purchased these

https://www.amazon.in/Paper-Mate-Retractable-Ballpoint-1788863/dp/B005DEW3J4/ref=sr_1_63?keywords=colored+ballpoint+pens&qid=1565679755&s=gateway&sr=8-63

https://www.amazon.in/Staedtler-Triangular-Ball-Pen-Colours/dp/B002BDNLR8/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=colored+ballpoint+pens&qid=1565679692&s=gateway&sr=8-7

and these

https://www.amazon.in/Hauser-Billi-Color-Ball-Colours/dp/B078HKW9MD/ref=pd_sbs_229_3/262-9120982-7764102?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B078HKW9MD&pd_rd_r=62d67b55-ceed-45ab-a550-01fb0b0f6e2f&pd_rd_w=Z045E&pd_rd_wg=8VQJK&pf_rd_p=2785a4f5-4b62-4bf0-bf3d-365a6e281498&pf_rd_r=1FVT415APB4MTSCM707K&psc=1&refRID=1FVT415APB4MTSCM707K

None of then contains yellow.

I know its hard to get certain pigments. But is yellow that rare?

Nowadays, you can find sets of gel pens like these

https://www.amazon.in/Paraspapermart-Metallic-Coloring-Sketching-Painting/dp/B07F5NRD2L/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=colored+ballpoint+pens&qid=1565680045&s=gateway&sr=8-11

Why we don't find sets like these without gel inks. Plain old ballpoint ink?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• samfromat

• amberleadavis

• inkstainedruth

• Charles Rice

Probably because there isn't a market?

The only time I remember ever seeing yellow ballpoint pen ink was when I was a kid and had one of those ten color pens (we're talking late 1960s/early 1970s). And I seem to recall the yellow ink didn't write very well.

I've seen reviews of yellow and gold inks but mostly they're too illegible for me on the page. And I don't like yellow highlighter ink (Noodler's and I think Pelikan makes yellow highlighter ink that can be used in fountain pens, but I prefer other colors so I have a few other Noodler's highlighter inks inkstead (use them in some cheap Kuratake brush pens that came free with bottles of Noodler's KTC a few years ago).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Probably because there isn't a market?

The only time I remember ever seeing yellow ballpoint pen ink was when I was a kid and had one of those ten color pens (we're talking late 1960s/early 1970s). And I seem to recall the yellow ink didn't write very well.

I've seen reviews of yellow and gold inks but mostly they're too illegible for me on the page. And I don't like yellow highlighter ink (Noodler's and I think Pelikan makes yellow highlighter ink that can be used in fountain pens, but I prefer other colors so I have a few other Noodler's highlighter inks inkstead (use them in some cheap Kuratake brush pens that came free with bottles of Noodler's KTC a few years ago).

Not having a market is good point. Yellow ballpoint ink on its own is not very readable. But used with other colors, it can really make beautiful things. I was very impress by the work of one artist. https://jenniferjohansson.com. The art with ballpoint pen is amazing. .

That's kind of funny. I just bought school supplies and I found yellow ink ballpoint pens and I see the CYMK ballpoint pens. If you were closer, I'd send it to you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

That's kind of funny. I just bought school supplies and I found yellow ink ballpoint pens and I see the CYMK ballpoint pens. If you were closer, I'd send it to you.

Only If I were closer... BTW what brand are they? I may try to search them.

Not having a market is good point. Yellow ballpoint ink on its own is not very readable. But used with other colors, it can really make beautiful things. I was very impress by the work of one artist. https://jenniferjohansson.com. The art with ballpoint pen is amazing. .

The same artist dedicates some lines on brands that produce yellow ballpoint pen.

https://jenniferjohansson.com/blog/2018/7/24/yellow-ballpoints

You can find yellow also in some box of coloured bic crystal.

Unfortunately those are not available in India and buying from US is prohibitively expensive.

I"m betting that they are not easily found here in the US either.

It looks as if at least a couple of them are pens that have multiple colors of ink in them, like the 10 in 1 pen I had as a kid.

I don't know whether the single color ones can be gotten if you contacted BIC directly, the way I did with Binney and Smith one time a number of years ago to get special single color 12 pack boxes of Crayola markers (which turned out to be a LOT more expensive -- even when I was getting them for an educational non-profit -- than to wait for the back to school sales and buying a 10 pack of assorted ones and giving the colors we couldn't use away...).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

You are probably one of only seven people in the entire world who want a yellow inked ball-point pen. Amazing that Amber has one. She must be one of the seven.

My question is, what would you use it for? Letters? Notes? If you can read yellow ink, more power to you. For art? OK - sort of, but if you want to use yellow in drawings, it's hard to imagine that a standard ball-point would be the way to go.

Edited by Charles Rice

I make three of seven. I didn't exactly WANT a yellow-ink ballpoint. It came with five other ballpoint pens at the dollar store.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I make three of seven. I didn't exactly WANT a yellow-ink ballpoint. It came with five other ballpoint pens at the dollar store.

Very strange

You are probably one of only seven people in the entire world who want a yellow inked ball-point pen. Amazing that Amber has one. She must be one of the seven.

My question is, what would you use it for? Letters? Notes? If you can read yellow ink, more power to you. For art? OK - sort of, but if you want to use yellow in drawings, it's hard to imagine that a standard ball-point would be the way to go.

Actually, I do want it for art. Specifically I am trying to learn from this artist: https://jenniferjohansson.com. But more than that, I am curious why it is so difficult to make yellow ballpoint pen. There are multicolored ballpoint pens available. And yellow in general is not that rare. If you look at other art supplies, you will almost always find yellow in it. So I don't think pigment is an issue. And as for demand, people do buy multicolored pens, Why not include yellow in it. Just curious about it.

Thanks for recommendation. Shipping is crazy. 67$ for 8$ product.

Oof brutal. I didn’t look at that. Try eBay or email them and ask or the package to be sent by regular mail. I’ve done that from time to time with other companies when I think shipping is ridiculous.

Only If I were closer... BTW what brand are they? I may try to search them.

https://www.amazon.com/Zebra-Pen-Retractable-Ballpoint-Assorted/dp/B000ZPQ8YW

Zebra pens.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

So these came. The pens in general are nice. But what a huge disappointment yellow is. The description says ink color as per the cap color. The yellow in it is not yellow, its yellow ochre. At its darkest, its almost look like brown.