Too Good To Be True?

paprenu

As a buyer on the US east coast, is 175 USD for a Lamy 2000 new from the UK (plus 6 USD shipping) a price too good to be true? I see them at most online retailers for much more than that, and don't want to risk a problem with the purchase. I recently went to my first pen show in DC, got to try a lot of really cool pens, among them a particular amber model by Dan Symonds that I nearly bought on the spot, and would have if for a lack of restraint, and ultimately decided that answer to the ever-present system of attainability and enjoyability is the Lamy 2000, M. I have put quite a bit of work into finding the best price I can — I'm always one to hold change tightly — but I want to make sure there's nothing wrong going on here before I send my hard earned dollars across the Atlantic. And of course, if anyone has a recommendation for a better (read "less expensive", though anything is welcome) mode or method of acquiring one of these fantastic instruments, I of course am more than happy to read it.

(I've included an image of a Lamy 2000 from a review on EDJelly below. I'm sure you've all seen one, but this makes admiring it all the more easy.)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• paprenu

• langere

• sciumbasci

• stylophilly

Paprenu,

I think you can get the same price in the States. Fahrney's and Fountain Pen Hospital have it for $175, for example. No need to go across the pond, methinks.

And have you tried the FPN Marketplace? There are often gently used Lamy 2ks on offer there, at lower prices.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

@Paprenu Yea, no need to order from the UK. There are many US-based retailers that can easily match that $175 price. As langere mentioned, L2K also come on the secondhand market on here often, usually hovering around $100 used.

Good luck.

130 is not too low. I paid about 140 for mine two years ago and got another on massdrop for 100.

Lesandro just did another run in EF, F and M for 130.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I bought my 2000 from Cult Pens in England earlier this year for about US$142 (it was 109.58 GBP, w/o VAT). No tax, no shipping fee, and no import duty. US customs doesn't bother with anything that small. Took about a week to get. Very happy with the transaction.

• 2 weeks later...

As a buyer on the US east coast, is 175 USD for a Lamy 2000 new from the UK (plus 6 USD shipping) a price too good to be true? I see them at most online retailers for much more than that, and don't want to risk a problem with the purchase. I recently went to my first pen show in DC, got to try a lot of really cool pens, among them a particular amber model by Dan Symonds that I nearly bought on the spot, and would have if for a lack of restraint, and ultimately decided that answer to the ever-present system of attainability and enjoyability is the Lamy 2000, M. I have put quite a bit of work into finding the best price I can — I'm always one to hold change tightly — but I want to make sure there's nothing wrong going on here before I send my hard earned dollars across the Atlantic. And of course, if anyone has a recommendation for a better (read "less expensive", though anything is welcome) mode or method of acquiring one of these fantastic instruments, I of course am more than happy to read it.

(I've included an image of a Lamy 2000 from a review on EDJelly below. I'm sure you've all seen one, but this makes admiring it all the more easy.)

I don't understand. Are you referring to the brushed all-metal version, or the Makrolon classic version? I got my regular L2K lightly used for $90, did some smoothing, and have a glassy-smooth medium nib now. I will flag the next used Lamy 2000 WTS on FPN Marketplace here for you, the sellers are all honest and reliable on FPN.

I also saw a vendor at the DC Pen Show selling their Lamy 2000's (an older model, different box) for the flat price of $120.

Edited by surprise123

I just ordered a Lamy 2000 from Cult Pens, total cost including two bottles of ink--one free with purchase and one added in--was about 100 GBP (roughly $125). They're having a 10% off end of summer sale. It's en route now with free, tracked shipping. Can't wait--this is going to be the nicest pen I've owned by a good margin.

• 3 months later...

I got a 2000 last year from Mass Drop (now Drop) for $103. Check out EndlessPens.com. I have bought from them with good results. I watch for sales.

For instance a Lamy Studio is $64 now, but I got it for $45 because of Black Friday or Cyber sales. They have sales around other holidays as well.

Posted Image