Conid Minimalistica: The Drawbacks

silverlifter

I don't know how big the feeder hole is on the Conid nib is but I just watched a Pelikan production video (thanks to Appelboom) which said their feeder hole is 1.1mm. If the above nib is similar I imagine the nib slit is ~.2-.3mm off center. But this is largely irrelevant to the discussion and I only bring it up because I just watched the Pelikan video so it was on my mind.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• silverlifter

• Karmachanic

• maclink

• Orval

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a clear Minimalistica and I get starvation when cohesive forces cause the ink to adhere to the walls of the tunnel connecting the feed to the reservoir. A small shake is needed at times to get the cohesive forces to break and allow the ink to flow again. I think this is due to CONID using the same rod as in another one of their pens (to cut costs) forcing them to employ a longer than necessary tunnel. I find some inks are less likely than others as sticking to the walls.

@Lloyd and @orval, check if the o-ring at the base of the nib unit is still in place. I have been using my minimalistica for a few months now and never had the issue mentioned by you guys. However i misplaced the O-ring that sits under the nib unit while cleaning the pen last week and faced exactly the same issues when i put the pen back together. After hassling and trying everything else, I noticed the missing o-ring. Once that was resolved using the spare o-ring that came in the box, i was good to go and didn't have the starvation or ink sticking issues.

The oring is in place.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I don't see an O-ring on any of the two nib units: not on the nib unit with the titanium nib, nor on that with the steel nib.

I tried the titanium again. I think the exact name of the problem is not ink starvation but ink skipping.

Edited by Orval

Orval

Can you detail the symptoms? Perhaps it's baby bottom.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

• 4 weeks later...

After using my newly arrived Conid Minimalistica for .... one day :), these are my impressions:

The Cap: Indeed it takes a while to master the "push and twist" movement. The first times I was afraid breaking something.. But now it's OK

The Clip: No problem at all (for me)

The Section: doesn't feel to"slippery". Much better than a metal one as on my Sheaffer, but again this is perhaps personally.

I really like this pen ! The writing is superb!

the major drawback to the Minimalistica was the desire to obtain the Kingsize instead :D

And as @Siverlifter already said: it would be better .. as well and not instead....

LD

Thanks LVP.

Interestingly, my second cap has arrived (Delrin) and it is marginally easier to slip on an off and there is less rocking than the clear one. It may be as simple as the different o-ring.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have AVDI Phi Conid Minimalistica and love it.  It came with a Ti F(stub) nib and it has worked flawlessly so far.  

1897063093_IMG_0626(1).jpeg.35f2a107e8b6fdc5de9a128c02c97a94.jpeg

792311734_IMG_0627(1).jpeg.7bf31ae574b6a71e8f95ce29bfa73e32.jpeg

I've used Irushizuku Kon Peki and MB Lavender Purple without any flow issues.  It starts up every time even after days to even weeks without use.  The slip cap, I have no trouble with and I find the pen more comfortable to write with than it's mate, the Regular Antwerpen version, that I also have.

I do have two concerns:

a) The breather hole on the cap.   I've noted that if I leave the pen unused for several days, there is less ink in the reservoir than when I last used it.  At first I didn't think much of it but then when the secondary reservoir was almost half empty after leaving it for a couple weeks unused, I became suspicious.  The pen wrote straight away but the Kon Peki was beautifully saturated (too beautiful).   I experimented by filling the secondary reservoir completely before screwing shut the plunger so that there was no communication between the main and secondary reservoir.  I then left the pen for a few days unused.   Sure enough, there was a large bubble in the secondary reservoir on checking.  The ink does seem to evaporate via the breather hole which I think is there for preventing accidents when uncapping the pen.  However, with this side effect, I would not think of using any form of permanent ink with this pen.

b) Today ( which is why I'm now writing these comments), I decided to switch nibs.  I got myself a Bock gold nib.  When I removed the Conid supplied nib, it had a rod sticking out of the back of the feed which is clearly to provide capillary action for ink to get in the secondary reservoir without trouble.  The replacement nib did not have this and once I switched nibs the problems started.  I could not get ink into the secondary reservoir without an unacceptable amount of effort.  I knew that I would stop using the pen if I had to go through this effort on a regular basis.  I've since replaced the original nib.  So, I've read that others have not had this problem and it could well be the ink, but it's a weakness in my pen.

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2021 at 2:48 PM, maclink said:

I do have two concerns...I decided to switch nibs.  I got myself a Bock gold nib.  When I removed the Conid supplied nib, it had a rod sticking out of the back of the feed which is clearly to provide capillary action for ink to get in the secondary reservoir without trouble.  The replacement nib did not have this and once I switched nibs the problems started.  I could not get ink into the secondary reservoir without an unacceptable amount of effort.  I knew that I would stop using the pen if I had to go through this effort on a regular basis.  I've since replaced the original nib.  So, I've read that others have not had this problem and it could well be the ink, but it's a weakness in my pen.

Why not use the Conid feed and collar with your new nib?

3 hours ago, FredRydr said:

Why not use the Conid feed and collar with your new nib?

The friction fit on the nibs are tight. Don’t wish to damage anything forcing a dismantle.

On 2/22/2021 at 1:29 PM, maclink said:

The friction fit on the nibs are tight. Don’t wish to damage anything forcing a dismantle.

I understand your reticence, especially with parts availability on hiatus.  Still, Conid designed it to be disassembled, and on reassembly, fitment of the nib against feed should be be tight.  I swap my M and F nibs without a problem. 

I have to add...what a fantastic pen to own!  Thank you Francis and Werner and the team.

42 minutes ago, FredRydr said:

I understand your reticence, especially with parts availability on hiatus.  Still, Conid designed it to be disassembled, and on reassembly, fitment of the nib against feed should be be tight.  I swap my M and F nibs without a problem. 

I have to add...what a fantastic pen to own!  Thank you Francis and Werner and the team.

BTW, is this what some do to get a Sailor 1911L nib to work in the minimalistica/regular Conids?

Just put the Sailor nib/feed in the housing, fill the pen, and scribble away. The feed is designed to work with a piston filler.

My understanding is that standard Bock feed, sans rod, should work with Bock nibs. Haven't tried it as I ordered extra Conid feeds along with additional nibs.

Add lightness and simplicate.

10 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Just put the Sailor nib/feed in the housing, fill the pen, and scribble away. The feed is designed to work with a piston filler.

If I do this without the sans rod (didn't know that was the name), the ink reservoir will stubbornly not fill from the main ink chamber.  I've noted that the mileage varies with this issue in that some have no problems without the rod while others do.

10 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

My understanding is that standard Bock feed, sans rod, should work with Bock nibs. Haven't tried it as I ordered extra Conid feeds along with additional nibs.

Yes.  I would expect this but the amount of tugging I have to be doing to get the nibs out has been so far, 'uncomfortable'.  I haven't even tried yet to remove the Sailor nib from its housing.  If I can't, then it's a show stopper. 

@maclink. "Sans" means without. The rod is not meant to be removed from the feed.

I leave the valve open, 2-3mm, except when flying. Doing so may well solve your problem.

Removing a nib from the housing is not complicated. Place the bottom of the feed on the first joint of your right forefinger. Place your thumb on top of the nib. Hold pen firmly in left hand, and pull apart horizontally. If you have trouble gripping, use a piece of inner tube, or something similar. There are utube videos.

Having removed the nib /feed from the Bock housing, have a careful look at the opening and you will see that there is a notch where the nib fits. If you have trouble seeing this, hold your pen in one hand and with the other slowly try to reinsert the feed only. You'll find that it will go in only in only when the top of the feed matches the notch in the housing.

When reinstalling the nib, the widest part of the nib (shoulders) should align with the widest part of the feed. Now make sure the nib slit is directly over the feed channel when looking thu' the breather hole. Then with your loupe, check to see if the tines are aligned. Adjust as/if required.

I've, on occasion, inserted the feed first, and slid the nib in on top.

Here's a Conid with various nibs. Note the second image. Conventional feed with the valve open. Third image - five nibs with conventional housings/feeds.

Add lightness and simplicate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 2:05 PM, es9 said:

I am crossing my fingers they start taking orders again soon.  REALLY want a bulk filler... 

I’m pretty late to this pen party and yes, I too would be very interested in one of their pens.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang