Frustration At Current Pelikan Nibs

jaytaylor

Hmm... I cannot agree with this.

If you are in the EU, Pelikan is well known to service pens for free.

If you are in US, then Chartpak/Pelikan offer services for 3 years if the pen is bought in the US. If you buy your pen abroad, then they say you are on your own (which I think it is absurd) - but that is not entirely true. At the beginning of the year I had two pens bought in Europe sent to Pelikan/Germany to exchange the barrel. It did take a little while for communication with them to be established. But, in the end, both were serviced for free and both were outside the 3-year warranty. I didn't even pay (expedite) return postage and, for my troubles, they gave me a bottle of Edelstein of my choice (I chose Tanzanite, since mine was nearing the end :) ).

Who is lying? Just got this for issue of M1005. I got this ahead of US release just because I was a Pelikan fan, not intend to save some money --- actually I am swimming in the money. But they are cheap, very cheap indeed. I sent request to Pelikan Germany. They said Chartpak is the only one can answer my request. And then I got this:

Good Afternoon,

Received your email Pelikan. I'm sorry to inform you we only service and warranty pens that are purchased from an authorized dealer in the States.

If you are having issues with your pen you will have to go back to the place you purchased it from.

Sorry,

-Tiffany Boutiette

Customer Service Supervisor

1-800-628-1910 Ext. 265

Fax 1-800-762-7918

Edited by dbs

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jaytaylor

• Intensity

• Bo Bo Olson

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who is lying? Just got this for issue of M1005. I got this ahead of US release just because I was a Pelikan fan, not intend to save some money --- actually I am swimming in the money. But they are cheap, very cheap indeed. I sent request to Pelikan Germany. They said Chartpak is the only one can answer my request. And then I got this:

Good Afternoon,

Received your email Pelikan. I'm sorry to inform you we only service and warranty pens that are purchased from an authorized dealer in the States.

If you are having issues with your pen you will have to go back to the place you purchased it from.

Sorry,

-Tiffany Boutiette

Customer Service Supervisor

1-800-628-1910 Ext. 265

Fax 1-800-762-7918

Whoa! Hold your horses!

Read my post carefully: I never said anybody is lying! I said that what "they say" (i.e., Chartpak) is not entirely true!

As I mentioned, if you bought from abroad that answer is to be expected and I find it absurd!

However, IME, there are ways around Chartpak.

Edited by Lam1

It's just not easy to contact Pelikan Germany for any service issues, because anyone writing outside of Germany/EU will get forwarded to their country's authorized repair center instead.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

It's just not easy to contact Pelikan Germany for any service issues, because anyone writing outside of Germany/EU will get forwarded to their country's authorized repair center instead.

There is no authorised repair in NZ, sadly.

The educated way to name this scheme is called "Catch 22". But most American will simply say "hoax".

The educated way to name this scheme is called "Catch 22". But most American will simply say "hoax".

I don't think either of those descriptions is accurate or appropriate. I do understand the frustration, though.

This practice is prevalent in the camera industry, and the same issues are present for pens. Typically the area distributor, usually independent as is Chartpak, is on the hook for any warranty repair costs. Those costs are not reimbursed by Corporate. So obviously if you don't get the distributor profit from a sale you are not going to cover the costs to fix it. If those costs could be charged back to the manufacturer (as I believe they should be) then things might be different.

This process was all well and good when the world was a much smaller place because goods were not easily available from anywhere in the world with just a credit card and internet connection. But today I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars more in the US for a Pelikan that I can order from elsewhere just as easily. But I am also an informed consumer and know the risks. I can usually send the item back to the vendor and get help with warranty repair if necessary. It's costly thought, and I know that up front. On the other hand I have saved countless dollars on many perfect purchases. Overall I think I'm better off.

I agree that it is a shame that Chartpak will not service the pens of US customers who purchased abroad. That was not always the policy. It takes a very narrow view of the realities of the global economy but that is the reality of the situation and a known risk when purchasing abroad. The savings are still worth the lack of domestic warranty support in my opinion though it is a calculated risk.

In the scenario where there is a legitimate warranty claim, I would start with the vendor who sold the pen. They are usually able to interface with Pelikan and effect the warranty repair on behalf of their customer. That has been my experience the two times that I have needed warranty work on pens purchased abroad and it has gone well. I'm hopeful that one day, the policies will again change to be more consumer friendly.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

In the scenario where there is a legitimate warranty claim, I would start with the vendor who sold the pen.

Well, the vendor says we are AD so please contact Pelikan Germany. Pelikan Germany says ok please contact Chartpak, Chartpak says we will not repair any pen not from Nibs.com, Goulet, or FPH, even I would pay 1 million dollars out from my own pocket.

This would be a fair game as you claimed if 1 out of 100 Pelikan nibs have quality issues. But now, almost 99 out 100 nibs are defective in this or that way. Chartpak or Pelikan would not pay repair cost, then it becomes our cost.

...snip...

This would be a fair game as you claimed if 1 out of 100 Pelikan nibs have quality issues. But now, almost 99 out 100 nibs are defective in this or that way. Chartpak or Pelikan would not pay repair cost, then it becomes our cost.

:lticaptd:

No. You are just wrong and many collectors and users here will tell you that "almost 99 out 100" is troll level codswollop... quit hyperventilating, step away from the keyboard, put the glass down, and then start over. Unless you can show us "almost 99" personal invoices of newly purchased Pelikans that were each defective, we don't believe you... but I doubt you can.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I agree that it is a shame that Chartpak will not service the pens of US customers who purchased abroad. That was not always the policy. It takes a very narrow view of the realities of the global economy but that is the reality of the situation and a known risk when purchasing abroad.

That's literally Chartpak's business, and it's a business decision that I think makes sense. Actually, Chartpak seems to be mindful of the realities of the global economy. Taking on more responsibility and giving better service to purchasers who would prefer to buy products not distributed by Chartpak is counter-productive, and would only encourage more US consumers to buy "grey imports", irrespective of whether the overseas suppliers are legitimate, authorised dealers in their respective regions.

Looking only at the interests and concerns of the consumer is the "very narrow view of the realities of the global economy", as if the economy was only about buyers and their material satisfaction, instead of manufacturers, distributors and retailers all trying to make money in trade.

The savings are still worth the lack of domestic warranty support in my opinion though it is a calculated risk.

In the scenario where there is a legitimate warranty claim, I would start with the vendor who sold the pen.

With that I agree. In the global economy, the world is a small place, and if an overseas retailer can ship a pen to a customer in the US, then there should be no logistical obstacle in the customer shipping it back if necessary. La Couronne du Comte in the Netherlands has always come through for me when there was a problem or issue with one of the pens I bought from it, and Iguana Sell in Spain organised for return shipping from Australia by UPS at its expense (and did all the paperwork to avoid customs and border tax issues) for an Aurora pen that had a defective nib. If people choose to buy on eBay, PayPal will cover return (domestic or international) shipping for up to eight purchases a year where PayPal was used as the payment method.

All of the above is premised on the consumer understanding and working with the terms and conditions of the retailers, distributors, online market platforms, etc. as opposed to dictating how he wants things done, with the least cost and hassle to himself. That there's a wide variety in such terms that one has review and navigate is another reality of the global economy.

I'm hopeful that one day, the policies will again change to be more consumer friendly.

In the meantime, consumers can learn not to be region-centric (as in, "I only want to send something to a local point of contact in my country to resolve warranty or service issues") when shopping globally.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

That's literally Chartpak's business, and it's a business decision that I think makes sense. Actually, Chartpak seems to be mindful of the realities of the global economy. Taking on more responsibility and giving better service to purchasers who would prefer to buy products not distributed by Chartpak is counter-productive, and would only encourage more US consumers to buy "grey imports", irrespective of whether the overseas suppliers are legitimate, authorised dealers in their respective regions.

Looking only at the interests and concerns of the consumer is the "very narrow view of the realities of the global economy", as if the economy was only about buyers and their material satisfaction, instead of manufacturers, distributors and retailers all trying to make money in trade.

I see your argument and acknowledge that you make some good points. I'm not oblivious to Chartpak's right to turn a profit. I guess I miss the days where this policy wasn't always in effect such that they did provide service more widely. Perhaps Pelikan needs to do more to make sure their distributors are better compensated for warranty support services. These global relationships are admittedly beyond my pay grade. Thank you for your comments.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I have not yet received a defective nib such as those posted in this thread. I have bought quite a number of recent releases at that. However, I recognize the examples given in this thread as alarming and worth Pelikan giving more attention to. It may be a small percentage of pens with defective or unworthy nibs, but their intention I believe would be to minimize and eliminate all of these examples. 99/100 is a ridiculous claim for the percentage of nibs that do not pass closer inspection, but clearly there is an issue here. Quite obviously, Pelikan needs to either work out a better system of repairs, or more ideally, nip this in the bud and make sure that pens needing such service do not leave their factories and make it into the hands of well paying consumers buying a luxury product.

Edit: I should add, that this is going to impact their business eventually if not soon better resolved. These threads make it pretty high on the top of google searches with the right keywords. At least when I use the search engine. These few comments can have a big impact. And though it may be a minority of pens and customers getting bad nibs, these reports (while certainly valid) are liable to damage the reputation of the brand. I do not wish to see that happen. I would like Pelikan to respond to this. For the bettering of their brand and its longevity!

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

A lot of complaints are jared out of alignment by the robot and looking for a job in the NFL field goal kickers, & Olympic shot putters working in mail services.

If the pen has a case, it is a made to display the pen case, not a mail proof case.

Even in the 'good old days' when mailmen were gentle with the mail, they broke the analog gage of some collage testing mail stress. Compared to then, the mail is IMO WOG rougher handled by folks over quota, unpaid overtime mail system workers.

It don't take but a slight careless bang on some paper to jar a nib out of alignment.

One does have to tell Pelikan, that you bought it out of country ...

They have a 5 week warrentee for nib swapping. So if Chartpack won't service, complain daily to Pelikan ..... do bring up the 'Word on the Street' is 99 of 100 nibs are defective.

Just goes to prove listening to drunks on the street don't mean much.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Chartpak says we will not repair any pen not from Nibs.com, Goulet, or FPH, even I would pay 1 million dollars out from my own pocket.

Wait, those are not authorized Pelikan vendors?

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Wait, those are not authorized Pelikan vendors?

I think the double-negative might have confused you...

Though I think that list is a bit truncated -- I can't believe Fahrney's Pelikan sales are grey-market pens...

Well, the vendor says we are AD so please contact Pelikan Germany. Pelikan Germany says ok please contact Chartpak, Chartpak says we will not repair any pen not from Nibs.com, Goulet, or FPH, even I would pay 1 million dollars out from my own pocket.

I believe the list of US Authorized Dealers for Pelikan is more than just Nibs.com, Goulet and FPH.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

I think the double-negative might have confused you...

Though I think that list is a bit truncated -- I can't believe Fahrney's Pelikan sales are grey-market pens...

You are right, I have missed the second "not". That'll teach me to slow down when reading forum posts.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had 4 modern Pelikan nibs, a fine I exchanged for a medium becauze it barely put down a faint line. The medium too was starved for ink flow and was overpolished and instead of request another replacement I had it sent to a nibmeister. I bought an unuseable Italic Broad that had the most severe baby's bottom I have ever seen in a nib which was almost immediately sent to yet another nibmeister. And finally i recently purchased an M800 Brown Black broad nib, which was the first modern Pelikan nib that actually wrote half decently out of the box. Interestingly it puts down a thinner line than my medium and it too will be sent to a nibmeister. These nibs were all M800's purchased within the last 2 years from the same UK based vendor.

Pelikan will not change their ways for a few reasons among others. (1) The pens continue to sell, special edition after special edition. (2) Disappointed customers are usually the most vocal, for every person on here who posts about a terrible Pelikan QC experience there are probably 2 dozen who received the exact same pen and love it in silence. (3) I doubt Pelikan Germany is even aware of the problem. Do Pelikan reps read this subforum?

As long as the pen is tested prior to dispatch, it is unlikely to have issues IMO.

Should the unfortunate happen, then it is just the risk of doing business abroad and you simply have to incur charges to send it to the vendor abroad.

Depending upon your buying frequency, the risk will prove rewarding even with the occasional glitch thrown in.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I usually just never mention where I got the pen unless the vendor asks specifically for a receipt. I got a delta faucet (like a $700 damn kitchen faucet) for free from a buddy who worked as a distributor and it was a demo model. It was awful and problematic, and when I first called Delta I said I got it as a demo and they refused to work on it.

So I waited a month and called them again, and specifically didn't mention that I got it for free as a demo. Just "I have the touch free faucet and it's poo. I need it replaced"

And they obliged. It was their damn product after all. Too bad the replacement had all the same problems. Piece of $700 junk.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)