Leonardo Photo Thread

Michael R.

1 hour ago, mauckcg said:

The one I have is a #8 EF.  Finer then a fine but not that fine.  Smooth and wet and soft too.  I don't have any #6 EF at this time.

Thanks. Number 8s tend to write wider. That's why I got an xf on my Pelikan 1000.

the Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• sansenri

• JonSzanto

• mauckcg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/2/2023 at 2:41 PM, Doug C said:

Has anyone used the extra fine and fine gold nibs that were installed before the La Fenice?

Are the scratchy? What is the line width like? 

I have Leonardo pens with a Bock Gold  F nib. It is smooth writing and writes a European fine width. I also have a Leonardo JoWo EF nib, but it's gold plated steel.

David

12 hours ago, dms525 said:

I have Leonardo pens with a Bock Gold  F nib. It is smooth writing and writes a European fine width. I also have a Leonardo JoWo EF nib, but it's gold plated steel.

David

I just ordered my 4th, and it's a gold xf. I hope it works out.

the Danitrio Fellowship

1 hour ago, Doug C said:

I just ordered my 4th, and it's a gold xf. I hope it works out.

You can always have the seller test and tune before shipping.  If I have any question on the function of the pen out of the box(Visconti) I get it only from the handful of retailers that will do that on request.

4 hours ago, mauckcg said:

You can always have the seller test and tune before shipping.  If I have any question on the function of the pen out of the box(Visconti) I get it only from the handful of retailers that will do that on request.

Its directly from Leonardo. 

the Danitrio Fellowship

Could anyone please recommend a good way to contact Leonardo Customer Support from the US?  I've tried the "customerservice at leonardo pen com" e-mail address, but never got a reply (over 2 months now).  Please message me directly with that information, if that’s preferable.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

16 hours ago, Intensity said:

Could anyone please recommend a good way to contact Leonardo Customer Support from the US?  I've tried the "customerservice at leonardo pen com" e-mail address, but never got a reply (over 2 months now).  Please message me directly with that information, if that’s preferable.

Who did you buy it from?  Typically going through the retailer first is t he way to go.  If from Leonardo, sales@leonardopen.com might work.

20 hours ago, Doug C said:

Its directly from Leonardo. 

Ah, if it hasn't shipped yet sales@leonardopen.com would probably work.  I haven't had any issues with orders from their special edition page.  I'm pretty sure those are all hand made and finished.

22 minutes ago, mauckcg said:

Ah, if it hasn't shipped yet sales@leonardopen.com would probably work.  I haven't had any issues with orders from their special edition page.  I'm pretty sure those are all hand made and finished.

That gives me some comfort. Thanks. 

the Danitrio Fellowship

21 hours ago, Doug C said:

That gives me some comfort. Thanks. 

The couple times i have emailed the sales address Maria Francesca, the daughter is the person who responded.

• 4 weeks later...

@Doug C You probably know this, but the camera is reading the light from the window. Best to photograph without the window in the shot. 

Posted Image

7 hours ago, Misfit said:

@Doug C You probably know this, but the camera is reading the light from the window. Best to photograph without the window in the shot. 

I did not. Thanks for the tip. 

the Danitrio Fellowship

I said I was done with expensive pens, and then I discovered Officina Leonardo Italiana. Allora...

Now I want the Momento Zero Grande Marina Capri (and if they made one in Giada, that would be nice, too), and a Momento Magico Glossy Black. All with stainless nibs and silver trim.

Maybe later this year.

Paige Paigen

Gemma Seymour, Founder & Designer, Paige Paigen

Daily use pens & ink: TWSBI ECO-T EF, TWSBI ECO 1.1 mm stub italic, Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing

8 hours ago, Doug C said:

I did not. Thanks for the tip. 

You are welcome. I learned about photography from my Dad. So in a way that came from him.  

Posted Image

57 minutes ago, amper said:

I said I was done with expensive pens, and then I discovered Officina Leonardo Italiana. Allora...

Now I want the Momento Zero Grande Marina Capri (and if they made one in Giada, that would be nice, too), and a Momento Magico Glossy Black. All with stainless nibs and silver trim.

Maybe later this year.

Yea, me too. 😜

the Danitrio Fellowship

On 3/3/2023 at 6:53 PM, Doug C said:

Yea, me too. 😜

The worst part about getting older is realizing how dumb you were when you were younger. It has taken me 30 years of adult life to figure out what kind of "stuff" I actually want and need in life. At least now that I know, I can make purchases that are truly going to last me the rest of my life, I guess. 🤣 This is true not only of fountain pens, but of all my music gear: guitars, basses, drums, effects pedals, etc.

The more I think about it, the more I think that I will maybe buy three Leonardos, and those will be the last nice pens I will ever need in this life. There's a certain liberating feeling in that. One Marina Capri, one Giada (if they make an MZG in Giada), and one glossy Black. Done. I'll keep my TWSBI ECOs for "fun" inks, and the Leonardos will be my daily use pens.

Paige Paigen

Gemma Seymour, Founder & Designer, Paige Paigen

Daily use pens & ink: TWSBI ECO-T EF, TWSBI ECO 1.1 mm stub italic, Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing

On 1/30/2023 at 1:56 PM, JonSzanto said:

So this is not some new avenue for pen vendors. I, too, feel the pain, and pick and choose which pens I will go all in on because, unlike many others, I don't consider myself a "man of means". 

That gave me right good laugh.  I see the pens you put pictures up for and if you think that spending 1000s of dollars on things that are essentially affectations is not indicating a "man of means" I does not know what does.

Personally I think fountain pens are overthought by people in this day, with people often accumulating so many that no single pen gets significant use, or if one does then the rest are redundant.  As elsewhere I do not like the FOMO marketing model, particularly as it tries to make spending cash a virtue alongside the scarcity incentive. 

6 hours ago, Aether said:

That gave me right good laugh.  I see the pens you put pictures up for and if you think that spending 1000s of dollars on things that are essentially affectations is not indicating a "man of means" I does not know what does.

Personally I think fountain pens are overthought by people in this day, with people often accumulating so many that no single pen gets significant use, or if one does then the rest are redundant.  As elsewhere I do not like the FOMO marketing model, particularly as it tries to make spending cash a virtue alongside the scarcity incentive. 

We all have our predilections and vices. People that think my fountain pen/watch collecting is crazy, will usually have nice cars, go out for expensive dinners, or take extravagant vacations. Some people have hundreds of shot glasses, shot guns, or thimbles on display. 

I try not to judge at my age. What ever floats your boat (as long as its legal).

the Danitrio Fellowship