Leonardo Photo Thread

Michael R.

Very beautiful pen, Jon! Thanks for posting the photos.

Some one elsewhere suggested that that lovely material was previously used in a Delta LE. I'm still not clear whether it's a resin or celluloid. I like it a lot, in any case.

The size, shape and hardware suggest the new Leonardo Speranza model that may reach shops very soon. Of course, Sarj's custom medallion and nib engraving are unique to his pens.

David

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• sansenri

• JonSzanto

• mauckcg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've shared photos of this Leonardo Iride Blue-Green MZ before, but I really like this photo. So ....

Leonardo Iride on Tori_Richard shirt.jpg

David

Very beautiful pen, Jon! Thanks for posting the photos.

Some one elsewhere suggested that that lovely material was previously used in a Delta LE. I'm still not clear whether it's a resin or celluloid. I like it a lot, in any case.

The size, shape and hardware suggest the new Leonardo Speranza model that may reach shops very soon. Of course, Sarj's custom medallion and nib engraving are unique to his pens.

David

Thank you, David. I picked an MZ up on a whim about 6 mos before this one and was really taken by the quality and feel. Sarj's pen is even better. He's been busy but I'm hoping he can shed light on the material, I saw the bit about the Delta material as well. As to the Speranza, I've taken a look and it has quite a different clip and cap band. I'm not sure how they came up with this particular combo.

Now, on to more serious matters: when I first saw your burlwood MZ in this thread, I had NO IDEA it was a limited release and might as well be made of Unobtainium! I thought you were my friend!!! :D

P.S. That's a pretty green, too. Of those 4 new colors they showed, only one really piqued my interest, and then they mention... LE celluloids down the road. ARGH!

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thank you, David. I picked an MZ up on a whim about 6 mos before this one and was really taken by the quality and feel. Sarj's pen is even better. He's been busy but I'm hoping he can shed light on the material, I saw the bit about the Delta material as well. As to the Speranza, I've taken a look and it has quite a different clip and cap band. I'm not sure how they came up with this particular combo.

Now, on to more serious matters: when I first saw your burlwood MZ in this thread, I had NO IDEA it was a limited release and might as well be made of Unobtainium! I thought you were my friend!!! :D

P.S. That's a pretty green, too. Of those 4 new colors they showed, only one really piqued my interest, and then they mention... LE celluloids down the road. ARGH!

I am your friend, Jon! Believe it or not, I did not buy the Burlwood Leonardo to tease you. Did I say it came with a buttery-smooth, slightly springy Fine nib? Well, just ignore all that.

I think Salvatore has lots of plans for future pens. There is the celluloid tease. Then there will be pens with resins made by Jonathan Brooks for LOI. Who knows what other temptations lie in wait for us?

David

I hope if you bump into my postings in other places you won't begrudge this one, but I did promise David I'd try to get some pics of this pen...

I get very frustrated trying to photograph some pens... I'm not really well set up for it. But finally, I HAD to take pics of this one!

This is the LOI "Sarj Minhas #onemanpenshow" fountain pen I purchased directly from Sarj at the 2020 LA Pen Show. I don't know the exact name of the color - very dark blue, almost black, with whispy silver/grey mixed in bands. The pen features sliver hardware and nib (the Southern California sunlight lends a golden hue) and is a piston filler.

Notable elements are a nice wide cap band with a pattern that is reminiscent of Parker Vac and Duofold bands, and then... three etchings of Sarj himself, his messenger bag at the ready to show you some pens! I've included shots of the barrel engraving, his profile etched in the nib, and a sweet little finial adornment.

The pen had the good fortune of a cancellation in Michael Masuyama's queue, so the standard medium is now a responsive cursive italic. Paired with the generous ebonite feed, it is a wonderful writer.

I don't really know how many pens Sarj had made; mine is #62. The pens on display were in a number of materials and colors, as well as trim choice. I feel very fortunate to have a very personal writing instrument in honor of a good friend and icon of the pen world. Enjoy!

AZ56Hwtl.jpg

9btLbBil.jpg

1v9KkXHl.jpg

IEb2HVHh.jpg

77AYimxl.jpg

Very nice material and graceful overall look. I think I could love that section.

If anyone has seen Leonardo's Instragram story recently, looks like a new material is coming: called "sunflower"

Personally, I think this material is the most striking yet, perhaps besides only a couple celluloid models. It seems that it will be available only in the MZ grande.

And.. it is a piston filler.

Okay. I might have to splurge.

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 8.52.39 PM.png

Edited by WLSpec

He showed more than that on the FB page:

A preview for the members of the Leonardo group, the new MZ grande 2020, New piston (Designed and produced in our workshops) Huge filler capacity 1.5ml.

4 new resins, from top:

- Luna rossa (red moon)
- Girasole (sunflower)
- blue marina Capri
- blue Fiordacqua

Coming for the end of May.

96516032_3232690483512082_24811593651684

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Nice!

Personally, the sunflower material stands out to me among those, but that bottom one is close behind

Edited by WLSpec

The sunflower is the only color that doesn't look like a bunch of other pens that have been made before. I haven't decided if I like it, though.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Can't wait to see the updated Leonardo family portrait from Vicary after they get some more siblings......

:)

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

I love that they're making a true piston filler, but does that mean there will be no way to check the ink level? The new colors are pretty, although I'm not sure any of them call to me yet.

I have been lurking on this thread for a while now. And I have to admit, the Grande pens do look extremely nice.

Question: in the Grande caraibi, is there any purple colours or hues?

I hope they use a similar capsule piston system like Delta - that was the most elegant way to put a piston in a turned pen that I have seen, and is my favourite to use.

John

Leonardo has really struck gold with this pen model, and is throwing all sorts of available colours at it!

I'm not sure I've ever seen such a variety of colours for one model in such a short time span...

I'd love to see some "Sarj Minhas" shaped section variants though...

Edited by sansenri

It seems that the Leonardo Sarj Minhas pen is very similar to Leonardo Tainan Pen Show 2019 pen in the section design and filling system (also an old Omas piston system with the disc between the barrel and piston knob for disassembly?).

I ordered the Speranza pen during the lockdown. I assume that it has the "giant converter" that cannot be unscrewed, like the current Grande model. I would very much like to hear any opinion on this filling system, from those who own the Grande model. Thanks!

A Leonardo made for Tainan Pen Show 2019, a collaboration between Tom Westerich of Penboard.de and Leonardo Officina Italiana.

It seems that the Leonardo Sarj Minhas pen is very similar to Leonardo Tainan Pen Show 2019 pen in the section design and filling system (also an old Omas piston system with the disc between the barrel and piston knob for disassembly?).

That's a good starting point for some other variants!

I ordered the Speranza pen during the lockdown. I assume that it has the "giant converter" that cannot be unscrewed, like the current Grande model. I would very much like to hear any opinion on this filling system, from those who own the Grande model. Thanks!

I've ordered the Speranza too! waiting to see mine...

Can't wait to see the updated Leonardo family portrait from Vicary after they get some more siblings......

:lol: he needs another 4 to keep pace!

I have been lurking on this thread for a while now. And I have to admit, the Grande pens do look extremely nice.

Question: in the Grande caraibi, is there any purple colours or hues?

I don't own the Caraibi, from photos and videos however I can see some deep blue, but I'd say there are no purple hues.

I concur with others that the Girasol is the most interesting, but none of the materials particularly excite me. I am intrigued by the apparent appearance of a true piston in a Leonardo pen. I believe I will wait and hope this features re-appears in a pen made of a material that appeals more (to me).

I confess that the two Leonardo pens I ordered just before Italy locked down and that should be shipping soon help me resist ordering another Leonardo right now. For the time being. Temporarily.

David

:lol: he needs another 4 to keep pace!

Hahaha maybe eventually...I'm already in line for the red and the girasol. I like the darker blue but I'm wondering if it's too close in color to the blue/green marbled MZ that came out this year. The lighter blue I'll need to see in person...

V