Leonardo Photo Thread

Michael R.

post-73460-0-35821700-1578022427_thumb.jpeg

Yeah. I know Oscar Wilde could resist "everything," not "anything." Anyway, I couldn't resist this pen. I did have some resistance to buying a MZ Grande. I thought it might be too big, and I thought the 1.3mm stub nib might be too wide and too stubbish, like the Visconti 1.3mm stub is. Well, the pen is very comfortable to write with, and it is not too big to fit in at least some of my shirt breast pockets. And the nib is really quite splendid. I have two other Leonardo pens with 1.5 mm gold nibs. I've had both made narrower and crisper. This nib is vastly improved. I don't think it needs any tweaking at all. It writes like a dream right out of the box.

Some photos to compare pen sizes ...

post-73460-0-18512600-1578022496_thumb.jpeg

post-73460-0-72241900-1578022458_thumb.jpeg

Enjoy!

David

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• sansenri

• JonSzanto

• mauckcg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations on the red ebonite MZ, beautiful! And now we know that you are the one with that one piece only MZ blue ripple :D , very nice indeed.

If we resisted all the temptations, life would be no fun. You did well, David!

Yeah. I know Oscar Wilde could resist "everything," not "anything." Anyway, I couldn't resist this pen. I did have some resistance to buying a MZ Grande. I thought it might be too big, and I thought the 1.3mm stub nib might be too wide and too stubbish, like the Visconti 1.3mm stub is. Well, the pen is very comfortable to write with, and it is not too big to fit in at least some of my shirt breast pockets. And the nib is really quite splendid. I have two other Leonardo pens with 1.5 mm gold nibs. I've had both made narrower and crisper. This nib is vastly improved. I don't think it needs any tweaking at all. It writes like a dream right out of the box.

Some photos to compare pen sizes ...

Enjoy!

David

That LMZ LE Juma is very intriguing-I didn't see that color on Stilographica's website. Congratulations again.

Stunning additions to your wonderful collection, David. Would hate for you to have your Juma made less exclusive to you - but oh for a chance to own one!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Anyway, I couldn't resist this pen.

You are not at all to blame, the pen is fantastic and proved an overwhelming temptation for me too. That is a beautiful colour and the coulour of the feed will complement it very nicely.

Congratulations!

Greetings,

Christina

I received a trio of Leonardos for Christmas. I don't know that I was planning to get three pens that were all in the orange color range though...it just kind of happened that way. A Furore in orange, a Casa della Stilografica Momento Grande Flame LE, and an Arlecchino from Novelli. Both Momento Grandes are sporting the new Leonardo 14K music nib. Unfortunately, both music nibs are misaligned (in the exact same way!) and will need to be sorted out. Still some beautiful additions to my Leonardo collection.

YMFhaop.jpg

I received a trio of Leonardos for Christmas. I don't know that I was planning to get three pens that were all in the orange color range though...it just kind of happened that way. A Furore in orange, a Casa della Stilografica Momento Grande Flame LE, and an Arlecchino from Novelli. Both Momento Grandes are sporting the new Leonardo 14K music nib. Unfortunately, both music nibs are misaligned (in the exact same way!) and will need to be sorted out. Still some beautiful additions to my Leonardo collection.

Wonderful pens! Congratulations! :)

Too bad they had misaligned nibs. Have you talked to Savatore directly? If you send a DM to Leonardo on Instagram, he will respond himself. They also have an email address for this kind of matter, but I think DM is faster.

Edited by clear1

• 2 weeks later...

nice new pics everyone!

(David! I'm wondering which pens you don't have...)

Those 1 piece only LEs look like the snake skin looking resin that has been used for some prototypes of the Conid, eh?

A few words on Leonardo, not sure if its the right place, but did not want to start another thread.

You may have already seen this, but since it's in italian, a quick summary:

Giardino Italiano had an interview with Salvatore Matrone of Leonardo Officine which explains a few things we have been guessing or just here and there reporting up to now.

http://blog.giardino.it/2018/09/leonardo-officina-italiana-intervista-ai-soci-fondatori/

Salvatore and Mariafrancesca the founders of Leonardo Officina Italiana are Ciro Matrone's son and daughter.

Ciro was one of the founders of Delta and headed the technical and production depts. at Delta.

He has some 45 years experience as he worked earlier in another pen producing company in Naples.

Mariafrancesca was in the Delta Admin. dept and Salvatore was working as external advisor in Delta and had a lot to do with designs of the Capri collection, The Journal, Ottantesima, Amerigo Vespucci, Enrico Caruso, Momo Design, and others.

(btw have you noted how the Momento zero looks similar to the Journal? even inside their own home, still it's not a copy but a fantastic evolution of the design!)

All the production is in Caserta, not far from Naples.

They own and stock own materials, resins and celluloid. They also stock (guess?) ex-Omas celluloids! (Arco, Burchina, Wild, etc). Reason? Because Leonardo is the official producer of all of ASC collections...

As I had guessed, they also produced the FP.it Vera fountain pen (of which I own a green version) special edition for members.

They then go on to talk about a new ogival pen project (which has turned out to be the Furore).

In his last words Salvatore says they feel the need in future to further resume and propose the ancient forms of italian fountain pens which are universally appreciated.
looking forward to what will come next :D

Reason? Because Leonardo is the official producer of all of ASC collections...

They were partners for a while, but not anymore. :(

Complicated interests, I guess. I wonder how ASC-now Penfamily's member- pens differ before/after this separation.

In his last words Salvatore says they feel the need in future to further resume and propose the ancient forms of italian fountain pens which are universally appreciated.

looking forward to what will come next :D

Many thanks for summarising that interview, very interesting. Those designs Salvatore was involved in with Delta are among my favourites. Looking forward to seeing what else rather come up with!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Thanks for the nice comments on my last post here. I'm back after two weeks away from home and want to respond to various questions.

I don't aim to own every pen Leonardo produces, but I seriously doubt I have made my last acquisition of Leonardo pens. I am not terribly fond of yellow/gold or purple pens, so I have not purchased any of those and don't expect to.

The "Art Deco" (guilloché) ebonite versions of the Moment Zero Grande have gold nibs. They are tipped.

The blue Juma MZ with silver hardware is a one off. I have learned from some one on FB that he has a MZ in Blue Juma with gold hardware. So there were two produced, one each with gold and silver fittings and nib color.

Several other pen makers have used Juma material, including Conid. Atelier Lusso has used it a lot.

FYI, I have been using the MZ Grande quite a bit. Initially, I inked it with Leonardo "Red Passion" ink. This is a nice ink and matches the pen barrel color well, but, although it wrote quite satisfactorily, it was just a tad too wet to provide wonderful line differentiation. I now have it loaded with one of the Akkerman inks (Steenrood van Vermeer) which is a little drier and gives better line differentiation for calligraphy.

Happy writing!

David

Finally got round to corralling mine:

post-23341-0-04647300-1580178656.jpeg

A MZ Art Deco Grande is jetting it's way to me from Novelli. Well, jetting it's way to US Customs. I think it'll be on a truck from there.

Thanks for the nice comments on my last post here. I'm back after two weeks away from home and want to respond to various questions.

I don't aim to own every pen Leonardo produces, but I seriously doubt I have made my last acquisition of Leonardo pens. I am not terribly fond of yellow/gold or purple pens, so I have not purchased any of those and don't expect to.

The "Art Deco" (guilloché) ebonite versions of the Moment Zero Grande have gold nibs. They are tipped.

The blue Juma MZ with silver hardware is a one off. I have learned from some one on FB that he has a MZ in Blue Juma with gold hardware. So there were two produced, one each with gold and silver fittings and nib color.

Several other pen makers have used Juma material, including Conid. Atelier Lusso has used it a lot.

FYI, I have been using the MZ Grande quite a bit. Initially, I inked it with Leonardo "Red Passion" ink. This is a nice ink and matches the pen barrel color well, but, although it wrote quite satisfactorily, it was just a tad too wet to provide wonderful line differentiation. I now have it loaded with one of the Akkerman inks (Steenrood van Vermeer) which is a little drier and gives better line differentiation for calligraphy.

Happy writing!

David

Thank you David

I was curious about the stub, I do greatly prefer stubs to be tipped, I'm considering one on my next Leonardo... which I am sure will come

Leonardo announced Momento Zero pens in new resins over the weekend. These are not limited editions. They come with steel nibs. They are screw-in Bock nibs. (Yay! for screw-in!) Available with gold or rhodium hardware. Rose gold is available by special order.

They are starting to appear on vendors' web sites. I have already ordered the blue and the blue/green ones with 1.1mm stubs. Estimated shipping in about 2 weeks.

What do you think?

post-73460-0-67234900-1581272530_thumb.jpeg

David