itskato

So I was planning to buy a nakaya medium nib, then I saw this review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQSfX91oAC4 by Mr. Brown. As you can see in the video the regular medium seems very dry and hard as a nail. Then I saw the soft medium, it seems like it is the nib I really want. A little bit flexible and pretty wet. But still I can't be so sure just from watching a video. So I'd like to ask anyone that has experienced it firsthand how the soft medium feel compared to the regular medium nakaya nib (is the medium really that dry? because I'm a little bit shocked at how dry and hard it is). My favorite kind of spring is the m200 fine steel nib. It is springy but not to springy. I don't like a nib that is too springy like the soft fine 14K platinum nib. Please share your experience on the nakaya soft medium and medium nib! It'd be much better if there is a comparison of those nakaya nibs to pelikan m200 fine nib and platinum soft fine nib. Thanks in advance!

Edited: seems like I provided a wrong link to an anime video, I've corrected the youtube link :wacko:

Edited by itskato

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itskato

• jmccarty3

• nekomuffchu

• whichwatch

My first Nakaya was a long cigar with a soft medium and there was very little nib feel and control. I'd recommend a regular medium and you can always specify the flow when ordering it. Better yet, I would recommend contacting Tay at Pensinasia (Singapore) and have him order you a long piccolo with a regular broad ground into a stub by Nakaya. If I could keep just one Nakaya this would be it, hands down. Sublime.

Edited by nekomuffchu

I have owned many dozens of Nakayas in all nib sizes. Nakaya nibs tend to be pretty stiff. The Soft Medium is a bit bouncier than the regular Medium though it is certainly not a flex nib by any stretch of the imagination.

Almost any nib can be adjusted to write more wet or more dry regardless of its width and I don't think you can generalize that a Medium is always drier or wetter than a Soft Medium. Needless to say, a BB will put down a lot more ink than an EF.

My first Nakaya was a long cigar with a soft medium and there was very little nib feel and control. I'd recommend a regular medium and you can always specify the flow when ordering it. Better yet, I would recommend contacting Tay at Pensinasia (Singapore) and have him order you a long piccolo with a regular broad ground into a stub by Nakaya. If I could keep just one Nakaya this would be it, hands down. Sublime.

Oh nice to know! I'm planning to buy my nakaya at aesthetic bay singapore. I never heard of Tay before, gonna check him out! Thanks for the information

I have Nakayas with soft medium and soft fine nibs. The soft medium has just the right amount of spring for me, while I find the soft fine to be a lot harder to control. It took quite a bit of practice before I felt comfortable writing with the soft fine. If I buy another Nakaya, I probably will order it with the soft medium with elastic cutouts and with a cursive italic grind.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Oh nice to know! I'm planning to buy my nakaya at aesthetic bay singapore. I never heard of Tay before, gonna check him out! Thanks for the information

Tay is patient with questions and will keep you updated with your order. I would also ask him about the Nakaya questionaire which you should fill out so they can customise the nib to your requirements. For the finish, I would highly recommend the standard urushi finish. The urushi finish is more tactile, and arguably more beautiful than the Ishime and Sumiko finishes.

Edited by nekomuffchu

• 1 month later...

To follow up, I did purchase a portable cigar with the Bamboo Woods finish. I had been wanting one of these for quite a while. The nib is the soft medium with elastic cutouts and a cursive italic grind by John Mottishaw. I am absolutely delighted with this pen.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 3 weeks later...

To follow up, I did purchase a portable cigar with the Bamboo Woods finish. I had been wanting one of these for quite a while. The nib is the soft medium with elastic cutouts and a cursive italic grind by John Mottishaw. I am absolutely delighted with this pen.

nice!