Esterbrook M2

gregoron

I just added an Esterbrook M2 fountain pen to my Estie collection. I have some questions below on how to restore it:

1) Is the nib removable? It seems kinda stuck and I don't want to force it off. What should I do to loosen the nib from the section?

2) Is the aerometric filler removable? I want to remove and replace the sac in the filler. How do I do this?

Would appreciate some replies.

You are what you write

More than you are what you say

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

-----------------------------------

- No affiliation with any vendors or manufacturers mentioned above.

- Edits done for grammatical purposes only.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Niner Actual

• gweimer1

• FarmBoy

• gregoron

I just added an Esterbrook M2 fountain pen to my Estie collection. I have some questions below on how to restore it:

1) Is the nib removable? It seems kinda stuck and I don't want to force it off. What should I do to loosen the nib from the section?

2) Is the aerometric filler removable? I want to remove and replace the sac in the filler. How do I do this?

Would appreciate some replies.

1) Yes, the M2 takes a standard renew tip. It unscrews from the section. Give it a good soak and it should loosen up.

2) Yes, you should see two small dimples on at the very base of the filler shroud that locked the shroud in place. Pull it straight off the section. The M2 takes a #14 sac and should extend to about 1/8 of an inch from the end of the filler.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• 2 years later...

I'm about to put your fine advice to use, as I've just acquired a couple M2s that need sac attention--thank you! Both are a little cosmetically dinged and pinged, but the nibs are perfect. New Pen Excitement!!

Rg

You might also do a search here. I seem to recall a prior post that had up close pics of the disassembly of the aerometric styled filler.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

• 12 years later...

What is a M2 Esterbrook. How does it coated to J pen?

Changing the subject a little bit. Does anyone has a procedure to repair hairline cracks at the lip of cap in an Estie pastel Purse pen.

The M2 is a '50s pen, longer than the J, with a metal cap, and a bit more slender.  It has a screw-on barrel and a squeeze bar filling system.  I love these pens.  They are very '50s, and comfortable to use.   They use the same Re-new nibs as the older Esterbrooks do.

I have something called Easy-Solv that works on the Esterbrook pyralin parts.  I've been able to do some reasonably good crack repairs with that.

• 1 year later...

I want to re-sac an M2. I have read the instructions here. My pen has three equidistant dimples on the shroud, close to the section. I assume that to access the sac they are all three to be depressed simultaneously, then the shroud and feed should separate. I haven't figured out how to depress all three dimples without a special tool that I don't have. Any tips for me?

You got to hi-de-ho

Cab Calloway

Those are done when the pen is made, to secure the sheath around the sac.   What I do is work the sheath off , replace the sac, then follow the tracks to re-install the sheath.   If it doesn't go on tight, I give it a little twist to cut a new groove in the section.  I haven't figured out a better way of doing it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/13/2024 at 6:53 PM, gweimer1 said:

Those are done when the pen is made, to secure the sheath around the sac.   What I do is work the sheath off , replace the sac, then follow the tracks to re-install the sheath.   If it doesn't go on tight, I give it a little twist to cut a new groove in the section.  I haven't figured out a better way of doing it.

I just finished the job. With me applying light force, the sheath and section popped into place together. I thought a slight twist would be required, since the original grooves on the section indicated rotation. The parts popped together so suddenly that I didn't notice the twisting.

It was all simple once I knew the trick. Thanks again.

You got to hi-de-ho

Cab Calloway