Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Esterbrook M2

gregoron

I just added an Esterbrook M2 fountain pen to my Estie collection. I have some questions below on how to restore it:

1) Is the nib removable? It seems kinda stuck and I don't want to force it off. What should I do to loosen the nib from the section?

2) Is the aerometric filler removable? I want to remove and replace the sac in the filler. How do I do this?

Would appreciate some replies.

You are what you write

More than you are what you say

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

-----------------------------------

- No affiliation with any vendors or manufacturers mentioned above.

- Edits done for grammatical purposes only.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• gregoron

• OcalaFlGuy

• purerobin

I just added an Esterbrook M2 fountain pen to my Estie collection. I have some questions below on how to restore it:

1) Is the nib removable? It seems kinda stuck and I don't want to force it off. What should I do to loosen the nib from the section?

2) Is the aerometric filler removable? I want to remove and replace the sac in the filler. How do I do this?

Would appreciate some replies.

1) Yes, the M2 takes a standard renew tip. It unscrews from the section. Give it a good soak and it should loosen up.

2) Yes, you should see two small dimples on at the very base of the filler shroud that locked the shroud in place. Pull it straight off the section. The M2 takes a #14 sac and should extend to about 1/8 of an inch from the end of the filler.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next great pen show is on schedule for August 27-28-29, 2021. If we all do what we need to do...you can Book your travel and tables and make SF 2021 the Return. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• 2 years later...

I'm about to put your fine advice to use, as I've just acquired a couple M2s that need sac attention--thank you! Both are a little cosmetically dinged and pinged, but the nibs are perfect. New Pen Excitement!!

Rg

You might also do a search here. I seem to recall a prior post that had up close pics of the disassembly of the aerometric styled filler.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

• 12 years later...

What is a M2 Esterbrook. How does it coated to J pen?

Changing the subject a little bit. Does anyone has a procedure to repair hairline cracks at the lip of cap in an Estie pastel Purse pen.

The M2 is a '50s pen, longer than the J, with a metal cap, and a bit more slender.  It has a screw-on barrel and a squeeze bar filling system.  I love these pens.  They are very '50s, and comfortable to use.   They use the same Re-new nibs as the older Esterbrooks do.

I have something called Easy-Solv that works on the Esterbrook pyralin parts.  I've been able to do some reasonably good crack repairs with that.