• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• como

• Seney724

• francoiacc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

May I ask fpupulin and other members, what's your favourite Arco pen and why? I'll start first:

I like the Omas old style Paragon and Ogiva Arco Brown in gold trim the most. I really cannot decide between the two which is the absolute best. They are perfect size, perfect balance, perfect combination of warm colour tones, and the old style piston! In terms of the shape to show off best the Arco material, it's the Omas 360, but I don't like the snap cap (though I have never heard of any issues with this type of cap on Omas).

There is no right or wrong answers. I just wanted to see how others see the Arcos and their perspectives. Thank you.

What makes Arco unique is that it has so many different patterns, depending not only on the angle the rod was cut, but also on the exact level within any single layer where the cut was made, which reveals ever changing and unrepeatable facets of the material and its internal structure.

fpn_1569109495__b32525d2-d7bb-4391-8e95-

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

A sweet petite Lady Arco Grey, if I may. :)

Oh, my friend, this is gorgeous! This Arco celluloid, I saw it be called “Silver”, is the best of the Arcos and possibly the best of all the celluloids.

Years ago, I was fool enough to pass on a senior size in the same material, perfectly conserved, at the right price, only because it had a publicity (Enciclopedia Treccani) elegantly written on the barrel...

Congratulations for your acquisition. Treasure it and enjoy it in good health.

Thank you, fpupulin. The ring top makes having an Arco Grey a little more affordable. I agree that for this pattern, smaller models and engraving is a good compromise. I just write with it from time to time so the cork doesn't dry out too quickly. :)

Oh, my friend, this is gorgeous! This Arco celluloid, I saw it be called “Silver”, is the best of the Arcos and possibly the best of all the celluloids.

Years ago, I was fool enough to pass on a senior size in the same material, perfectly conserved, at the right price, only because it had a publicity (Enciclopedia Treccani) elegantly written on the barrel...

Congratulations for your acquisition. Treasure it and enjoy it in good health.

I posted a photo of mine way back on Page 2 of this thread. Post # 25.

I have nice examples of the Arco Grey PL, Arco Verde (Green) and Arco Bronze (Brown).

Ok. In the spirit of creating some lively conversation:

My favorite one is the Arco Bronze (Brown). I think the mesmerizing depth of its colors and the fire(s) one sees as it is held in varying shades of lighting is totally spectacular. How about the rest of you? If you could only have one, which would it be???

:D

great array of arco pens to be admired.

I'm admiring your low key photography too, Franco!

(are you really still using B/W film? I sadly quit B/W film, and all my B/W printing gear many years ago...)

great array of arco pens to be admired.

I'm admiring your low key photography too, Franco!

(are you really still using B/W film? I sadly quit B/W film, and all my B/W printing gear many years ago...)

Dear pen pal: yes, I still do some B/W photography on film, and also some color slide, which however requires an eternity to be sent to the U.S. for development and received back where I live! Actually, my printing gear is abandoned since at least 25 years, and I do not miss it. The dark room was never a realm of mine, and the invention of the light room (developing film, scanning and printing from file) was in my opinion a great improvement in the photographic process.

The sensor of a digital camera, whatever good, can not imitate the feeling of the B/W film, and less so when used in a medium format camera. So, I like to shoot film with my Hasselblad gear (I still own a 500 CM, a 500 ELX, and a SWC/M, plus a number of good lenses), and I like developing film. I would love also developing color film and slides, but no one import the required chemicals here in Costa Rica, and you are not allowed to transport them in flight. Maybe I should made one of my trips to Europe on boat...

As you would probably remember, shooting on film is a completely different philosophy, which I like. But I also love to shoot digital.

Edited by fpupulin

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Three sisters:

fpn_1587830099__three_omas_paragon_arco_

Arco is unbelievable...

Yes, gorgeous!

What a pity the remaining rods are being squandered by a mass producing, "quality & customer service be damned" outfit.

:(

Yes, gorgeous!

What a pity the remaining rods are being squandered by a mass producing, "quality & customer service be damned" outfit.

:(

One can only hopes that those rods are still enough in quantity to continue making pens, against the "suggested" fear...

One can only hopes that those rods are still enough in quantity to continue making pens, against the "suggested" fear...

I agree fpupulin but given that the entire remaining inventory of the rods are in the possession of the one who is squandering them how is that fear to be averted or avoided?

I believe these two sets have not been posted yet. They are not Ogiva, but round extra, used by Omas for some super limited editions in the 2000s. Arco green and Arco brown in a cut called spina di pesce (fishbone).

20180211_143034.jpg

20180211_144648.jpg

20180211_142900.jpg

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing. These are the real spina di pesce!

I believe these two sets have not been posted yet. They are not Ogiva, but round extra, used by Omas for some super limited editions in the 2000s. Arco green and Arco brown in a cut called spina di pesce (fishbone).