The Arco Photo Thread

fpupulin

Thanks for the info.

SBRE Brown seems tricky to get a hold of (the one spot in Australia with it listed on their site was sold out) but I will look at terracotta.

I haven’t had a chance to get some nice photos happening. It’s been a bit overcast here and was hoping for the sun to come out to really take advantage

I also haven’t inked the pen yet. It might seem a little silly, but I’ve been looking at inks, and it seemed odd to fill it with something safe, like Aurora black, only to flush when my chosen ink arrives.

Out of my excessive arsenal of brown inks, the two I always prefer for my bronze Arcos are Akkerman SBRE Brown and Diamine Terracotta. Both have that exact nuance that seem made of the same material of the pen, but liquid... Terracotta is brighter, for the days when one feels that life deserves a celebration. Akkerman's is a bit soberest, and almost perfect.

Please, let we know for which ink you eventually decided, maybe with a shot of your incoming pen...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• como

• Seney724

• francoiacc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was able to add another Arco mid size PL lever-filler. Today as I was writing with this pen, all of a sudden, it gave me a serene feeling, with its calm from a bygone era. Not like the glamorous Arco that we know. Just another modest pen.
fpn_1595538212__aea04c6a-36d4-4319-a13b-

fpn_1595538238__2312525d-ed7b-4c23-ad80-

This kind of silver-grey Arco, calm and serene as you said, is one of the best if not the best Arco of all times, in my opinion. And the reason is exactly what you noted: it was a beautiful, absolutely beautiful material for a unostentious fountain pen, a pen to be used and cherished.

A great addition to you collection, my friend! Congratulations.

Thank you for your kind words, fpupulin. The Omas vintage style and this grey Arco is really a mesmerizing combination. I had to sell a few pens for it, but it was well worth. I have seen vintage brown Arco pens too. They look different than their modern counterparts, a more mature look. Unfortunately I don’t have any. Perhaps another lucky member could post a photo or two someday.

An exclusive Leonardo Officina Italiana in Arco Brown.

IMG_0974.JPG

p2.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

Edited by francoiacc

A small anonymous found in a flea market in Arco Brown. The pen has Vaber engraved on the barrel, but I don't think is the brand, most probably it was an advertising pen.

image.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

francoiacc: Beautiful Arco Brown by Leonardo! I had heard of such project, but until today I had not seen one. Also many thanks for sharing photos of your vintage Arcos. I just saw your posting of your tour to Leonardo. Did you bring back this Arco during the visit? It’s stunning, congratulations!

Thank you for your kind words, fpupulin. The Omas vintage style and this grey Arco is really a mesmerizing combination. I had to sell a few pens for it, but it was well worth. I have seen vintage brown Arco pens too. They look different than their modern counterparts, a more mature look. Unfortunately I don’t have any. Perhaps another lucky member could post a photo or two someday.

I agree como, the vintage brown Arco (~30's-40's) definitely has a different appearance than the more modern (90's-2000's) version. I like your word "mature;" I think it captures the concept very nicely. :thumbup:

As requested, here are a couple of examples:

Arco Bronze - For FPN Post - 1.jpg

Arco Bronze - For FPN Post -2.jpg

Arco Bronze Desk Pen For FPN Post.jpg

francoiacc: Beautiful Arco Brown by Leonardo! I had heard of such project, but until today I had not seen one. Also many thanks for sharing photos of your vintage Arcos. I just saw your posting of your tour to Leonardo. Did you bring back this Arco during the visit? It’s stunning, congratulations!

Yes I did, thank you very much!

Seney724: Thank you for posting, a delight to look at.

I agree como, the vintage brown Arco (~30's-40's) definitely has a different appearance than the more modern (90's-2000's) version. I like your word "mature;" I think it captures the concept very nicely. :thumbup:

Thank you for the pics. They are beautiful pens.

I am always surprised, when I see these extraordinary Extras by Omas of the Thirties and Forthies, by the usually very good conservation status of the metal trims. The Greek fret in como’s pen looks like it was produced yesterday! Often, in modern OMAS that are 50 or 60 years younger, the engravings are almost completely erased. I have no idea if Omas was used to made the metal parts of their pens in house or outsourced them, but the difference in quality between the old and the recent Extras is quite noticeable.

An exclusive Leonardo Officina Italiana in Arco Brown.

That Leonardo is truly a magnificent pen, Francesco, and the pattern of the celluloid is top notch! There is a lot of skilled craftsmanship is such a fountain pen. Congratulations for your beauty, a worthy companion to your Omas Arco!

fpupulin and Seney724: I do not know if the difference in appearance between vintage and modern Arco Brown is simply due to celluloid aging, or if there is a real difference in the celluloid materials. In any case, I very much like the vintage look, and of course the modern version too.

That Leonardo is truly a magnificent pen, Francesco, and the pattern of the celluloid is top notch! There is a lot of skilled craftsmanship is such a fountain pen. Congratulations for your beauty, a worthy companion to your Omas Arco!

Franco I still remember when only 3 years ago I started to get in the fountain pen passion, I still remember seeing one of your posts on the Italian forum, where i literally lost my mind and felt in love with the Arco Brown celluloid of one of your Paragon. Since then for me Arco Brown is my “Sacro Graal” in the fountain pen material kingdom.

When, few months ago, Salvatore Marrone told me that he had few bars of Arco Brown celluloid left, I had no doubts asking him if it was possible to have a pen made fo me, but honestly, never thinking that he would have said yes. He also gave me the option to choose which type of piston to use, if the old OMAS style one or the new Leonardo piston that is in the Momento Zero Grande 2020, and the style of the rings on the cap and the barrel.

Salvatore is truly amazing, the carefulness he has for customers and the passion and professionalism he put in his creations is something that I have never experienced with any other pen manufacturing company.

Franco I still remember when only 3 years ago I started to get in the fountain pen passion, I still remember seeing one of your posts on the Italian forum, where i literally lost my mind and felt in love with the Arco Brown celluloid of one of your Paragon. Since then for me Arco Brown is my “Sacro Graal” in the fountain pen material kingdom.

When, few months ago, Salvatore Marrone told me that he had few bars of Arco Brown celluloid left, I had no doubts asking him if it was possible to have a pen made fo me, but honestly, never thinking that he would have said yes. He also gave me the option to choose which type of piston to use, if the old OMAS style one or the new Leonardo piston that is in the Momento Zero Grande 2020, and the style of the rings on the cap and the barrel.

Salvatore is truly amazing, the carefulness he has for customers and the passion and professionalism he put in his creations is something that I have never experienced with any other pen manufacturing company.

This story is so nice to hear!! Thank you for sharing it.

It make me wonder if these admirable characteristics are why Salvatore ended Leonardo's agreement to manufacture ASC pens? One could easily imagine that Salvatore, a person with such high standards, would not have the willingness to lower his manufacturing / quality standards to accommodate the corner & cost cutting demands of ASC.

fpupulin and Seney724: I do not know if the difference in appearance between vintage and modern Arco Brown is simply due to celluloid aging, or if there is a real difference in the celluloid materials. In any case, I very much like the vintage look, and of course the modern version too.

I cannot say for sure como but my belief it is due to both 1) The better aging you mention as well as 2) The fact that in the 30's - 40's the production of celluloid was extremely toxic and over the coming years some of the production methodology Omas employed had to be modified.

Francesco, this will surely made of your new Arco a still more treasured pen! No doubts, in a passion built around such a deeply human thing as writing, humanity is an important part of the equation...

Of all my pens, there are only two types that glow by themselves on my desk: the OMAS Arco Paragons and the Turtle Montegrappa Extras.

This story is so nice to hear!! Thank you for sharing it.

It make me wonder if these admirable characteristics are why Salvatore ended Leonardo's agreement to manufacture ASC pens? One could easily imagine that Salvatore, a person with such high standards, would not have the willingness to lower his manufacturing / quality standards to accommodate the corner & cost cutting demands of ASC.

Surely for him the quality is his first goal, nevertheless he would never say something bad about anybody, even if he is his worst possible business antagonist, therefore he never said why but we can make a good guess.

• 3 months later...

The fine nib of the Grand Paragon with silver trims is soft and responsive:

fpn_1604072892__omas_grand_paragon_arco_

On the left you may see how the nibs of the Montblanc Calligraphy (top) and the extra-fine on the OMAS Grand Paragon Arco in Gold trim compare:

fpn_1604073012__omas_grand_paragon_arco_