You Had Me At “St Louis Pen Show”...

Fearless

Hello, everyone!

I got hooked on fountain pens when I went to a pen show with the intention to look for good notebooks for bullet journaling. Well, before the first day was done, I had two FPs, two inks, and a lot of advice to absorb! I ended the show with one more pen (all Pilots: two Kaküno and a Metropolitan) and two more inks. Soon I combed local shops and ended up with a wonky-nibbed Lamy Al-Star and a non-working vintage Sheaffer.

Since that fateful first week, I have attended a local meet-up where I was given a cheap but pretty Jinhao. Lots of future friends there, I hope. I also went to Anderson Pens in Appleton Wisconsin, where a very nice man took my Sheaffer to restore it to operational capacity (oh my gosh I love writing with it!). I also got my first ink samples and a couple more full bottles. Also some maintenance gear. My kit is rather impressive for a newbie; I just hate that its in a pink case. But it fits everything, so I deal with the bubblegum color.

I adore beautiful inks, my ink wishlist is far bigger than my pen list. Because of that I think I need a glass dip pen for testing out those inks. I will also be thinking of what next-level pen to save up for, because the next St Louis Pen Show will also fall on my fifth wedding anniversary! Hubby will buy me a pen without attending, I expect.

Thanks for letting me be a part of this community! I cant wait to learn from all of you!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• northstar

• Henricum_Tropen

• Fearless

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Sounds like there's no turning back for you! Doomed! You're now doooomed! :lticaptd:

:W2FPN:

(RIP thy wallet)

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!! The St Lewis show was great this year, can't wait for next year!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to this friendly corner of the universe from a fountain pen user in San Diego. There is such a wealth of information waiting for you to discover on this site. Write On!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Welcome! Welcome! Just realize that once you have started down this path, there is no turning back!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I adore beautiful inks, my ink wishlist is far bigger than my pen list. Because of that I think I need a glass dip pen for testing out those inks. I will also be thinking of what next-level pen to save up for, because the next St Louis Pen Show will also fall on my fifth wedding anniversary! Hubby will buy me a pen without attending, I expect.

Greetings from Pittsburgh! :W2FPN:

I read your comment about the show and your anniversary and MY husband said "Now who would possibly do that?" :lticaptd: (This is because our 30th anniversary was the Triangle Pen Show, down in the Raleigh area, a couple of summers ago; he tolerated Friday, and the dessert party and auction Saturday night, and didn't wince TOO much when I won an English-made Navy Gray Parker 51 in the auction, after having bought a Midnight Blue the day before. :rolleyes:)

I generally suggest that new people click on the "View New Content" button at the top of the page (you can adjust how much/often you get new stuff in the sidebar on the main page) to get a good overview of a lot of topics. And to NOT do what I did when I started, which was to read the Parker Forum. All of it (back 7-1/2 years ago it was 175 *pages* of topics -- and it's bigger now... :o). And if you're interested in inks, be sure to check out the pinned Index to the Ink Reviews Forum (we surely live in the Golden Age of Inks :D).

But you should know that we are all shameless enablers here, and will happily help you spend your discretionary fund on pens, inks, paper, repair tools, wax seals and sealing wax, ephemera -- and of course pen shows.

7-1/2 years ago I never heard of Parker 51s -- now I have 10 of them -- plus a Parker 21, a Parker 51 Special, a Parker 41, four Parker 61s, 5 or 6 Parker 45s, three vintage Laidtone Duofolds (one of which is a Vac filler model) and a bunch of Parker Vacumatics. Plus a dozen or so Parker Vectors in various colors, including a 4 nib unit calligraphy set; and a few random other Parker pens. And that's just the Parkers.... (Yes, this is a dangerous place, especially if you fall down the vintage pen rabbit hole :blush:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

" I will also be thinking of what next-level pen to save up for, because the next St Louis Pen Show will also fall on my fifth wedding anniversary! Hubby will buy me a pen without attending, I expect."

Hey, I was there too! Like yours, my hubby isn't very interested in pens. He'll accompany me to the city, then we go separate ways. I go to the pen show, he finds geocaches in the parks. Every so often, I'll see him in my pen box, deciding which one he wants to use next. But it's only one at a time, and he isn't interested in collecting or repairing, only borrowing.

Hope you enjoy all of the information here, it's truly a great site to get lost in!

Glad you are with us.

Welcome!

And amen to the glass pen. They can be a lot of fun and I think you will be impressed with how long they can write between dips.

:W2FPN:

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

• 4 weeks later...