Delike Steel (Straight) F, M And Bent Nibs Compared

A Smug Dill

Delike fountain pens are often offered on eBay and AliExpress with a choice of EF (0.38mm), M (0.6mm) and bent EF (0.6mm) nib. The nibs are readily interchangeable on all the Delike pen models (Alpha, New Moon 3, Shepherd Boy, and 'Submarine') I have by simply unscrewing the nib-and-feed housing from the section.

The M nib would not be my first or even second choice for pens I write with, but right now I'm trying to decide which nib(s) to order for one and a half dozen giveaway pens. So, as much as I generally dislike comparing nibs using the same ink on the same sheet of paper (which is a different matter from writing with drier and wetter pens of similar nib width when reviewing an ink), I installed one of each nib in my three Delike Shepherd Boy pens, and let them take turns at being fed by the same converter filled with Aurora Black ink, to gauge whether the (regular) EF is too narrow for the 'average' pen user in my target group of recipients, and whether M is tolerable or even preferable.

Given I've already gone to the trouble, I may as well post the results here. Maybe someone else will find it useful.

fpn_1563986018__comparison_of_delike_nib

fpn_1563986058__comparison_of_delike_nib

There is a light blue 5mm line grid on the Daiso Planning Pad that just doesn't show up in a scan. The Chinese characters each fit tightly inside a 5mm square, to give a frame of reference.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gr8lakeson

• MuddyWaters

• AlexLeGrande

• A Smug Dill

Smug, secondary to a comment you made about the Delike New Moon 3, I purchased one with a bent nib. I was so pleasantly surprised with this pen. The metal construction is very nice and the white lacquer is pretty. The nib steals the show. I tried it on other Delike bodies (alpha, times) but prefer it on the New Moon 3, even if this pen really is tiny.

For the price it is a no-brainer.

• 9 months later...

I hope that A Smug Dill will not mind me reviving this thread. Instead of starting a new one, I thought I would bump this one since it puts in graphic display the performance of the delike nibs.

These bent nibs are truly something special in the fountain pen world.

They are small though, and many of the delike bodies are too small or uncomfortable for my hands. The smurf is actually made of a really nice resin and is almost very comfortable for me. The alpha isn't my type of thing.

So I have just ordered a New Moon 2 hoping that it is of a larger size than the New Moon 3 that I already have (and enjoy) and the Smurf, which I also enjoy.

The only other maker that I can think of that uses nibs of this size is Kaweco. I thus thought of getting a Kaweco Dia to put in one of these Delike nibs, thinking that this would improve comfort of using these nibs, but I will see if the NM2 is large and good enough at its much lower price.

Any thoughts?

• 11 months later...

thanks so much for your input. Much appreciated. Since pens shows have vanished with so much else in our former daily lives I have lost the opportunity to explore these things in person.

Thanks for the exhaustive, thorough, graphic response. Wow! Impressive. Many thanks.

I have the Moon Moon 2, revised edition, with the bent nib.  This nib is one of the smoothest, best flowing nibs in my collection of over 100 fountain pens.  I can'[t praise it enough.