Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Requesting Help With Decoband Restoration Resulting In Loose Nib Unit

MarabouStork

MarabouStork

I would appreciate any advice or guidance on how to proceed with a Decoband restoration gone awry.

I have performed some amateur restoration to an old Decoband purchased in an auction lot. It seemed to be in pretty good shape -- I just installed a new sac and cleaned it up a bit. The only great difficulty I encountered (prior to final assembly) was that the section was very difficult to remove. With some heat, section pliers, and several small doses of patience, however, it did come loose (seemingly) without damage. In the the midst of cleaning the pen, however, the nib unit somehow came loose. I didn't think much of it, and welcomed the opportunity it afforded for better cleaning. When it came to re-inserting the nib unit into the grip section housing, however, I found that it fit back in loosely. I could not - and still cannot - discover how to tighten it. Both the nib unit and the housing share a "D" shape, allowing the nib unit to fit in just one orientation, but the fit is loose enough that it seems certain to fall out in the process of filling and using the pen. I am flummoxed about how it was held in place to begin with -- Did I lose a part along the way without realizing it? It doesn't seem to screw in - but perhaps I am being too gentle in my attempts to turn it?

Here is a link to a Microsoft OneDrive folder containing some photos of the pen: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhUXfGOfkILqgc5REbliYv7ugmDi3g?e=NH5X63

Any information or ideas to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. I am anxious to get this beauty writing!

Edited by MarabouStork
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MarabouStork

• joss

• tuesmepr

• cunim

I had a more or less similar problem once with a loosely fitting Skyline nib & feed that originally sat firmly.

I placed the feed in water for some time and afterwards it fitted better, though not as firmly as it sat before. Possibly, moistening the feed induces a marginal swelling of the ebonite. So you could try moistening the nib unit and check whether that results in a better fitting.

Edited by joss

I think these nibs do screw in, and the threaded end part of the nib housing on yours has broken off. If you look inside the section, you may find the broken piece still screwed in.

I think these nibs do screw in, and the threaded end part of the nib housing on yours has broken off. If you look inside the section, you may find the broken piece still screwed in.

Good thinking! It might be a personal point nib unit with threaded collar, shown in this 1929 ad which mention that the units were permanently fitted by the dealer:

fpn_1564154867__wenu1.jpg

• 1 year later...
MarabouStork

I am resuscitating this thread because I'm returning to this pen after having shelved it for awhile. In turned out that tuesmepr was correct - the housing part of the nib assembly had broken in two. I did manage to remove the threaded part. However, the two halves do not fit together perfectly - I must have lost some broken fragments along the way. I don't think it can be glued back together. I'm not sure where to take the restoration from here. I have thought about using a solvent to permanently attach the "sleeve" portion of the housing to the inside of the grip section - eliminating the need for the threaded portion. This seems drastic; even if it seals well, I'm not sure if it would result in ideal ink flow, since the ink is intended to flow through the threaded portion of the housing as well. Ideally, I would buy a whole new housing. Does anybody know where one could buy a housing, or find a "parts" pen that would include a housing for relatively cheap?

Contact Joey Grasty at Flexible Nib Factory.  I also had a broken personal point housing, from a Doric with a #3 adjustable nib.  Joey made a replica housing that fits and flows perfectly.

MarabouStork
1 hour ago, cunim said:

Contact Joey Grasty at Flexible Nib Factory.  I also had a broken personal point housing, from a Doric with a #3 adjustable nib.  Joey made a replica housing that fits and flows perfectly.

Thank you! I have sent FNF a note. I'll let you know how it works out!

Bristol24
On 6/22/2021 at 5:40 AM, cunim said:

Thank you for mentioning the Flexible Nib Factory.  I had not heard of them before.  They are now in my bookmarks.

Cliff

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams