J. Herbin Bleu Des Profondeurs

lgsoltek

Bleu des Profondeurs is a nice dark blue that doesn't lean to teal. While I'm not excited about this kind of colour that I usually find boring, this is a very very very very wet and smooth ink, perhaps one of the best flow-ers I have encountered. It's such a joy to write with. I'd rather use a boring but smooth ink like this, than a pretty-pretty but desert dry ink.

It has a subtle copper sheen (not really noticeable) and is somewhat water resistant.

Splash

fpn_1563613690__img_0975.jpeg

Sample

(Rhodia, two pens involved)

fpn_1563613683__jpeg_image-5e565447a9a2-

fpn_1563613679__jpeg_image-5e565447a9a2-

(Tomoe River)

fpn_1563613689__jpeg_image-5e565447a9a2-

fpn_1563613676__jpeg_image-5e565447a9a2-

Comparison

(I'd say Bleu des Profondeurs is closest to Sailor Yonaga but greyer, without the more visible double sheen of Yonaga. And yes it's even wetter and smoother than the Sailor.)

fpn_1563613672__jpeg_image-5e565447a9a2-

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• lgsoltek

• Intensity

• IlikeInksandIcannotlie

Thanks for a great review; this looks nice but really dark, can't complain since it does what it says on the tin.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Thanks for the review. This is quite timely, since I just got a sample of it. Haven't even had a chance to try it yet, because of all the other samples I got.

Wet and smooth sounds good -- I'm now thinking that instead of Rose Cyclamen, I should try Bleu des Profundeurs in the Snorkel with the EF nib.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Great review, thanks!

I have found this ink to be a great match with Platinum pens.

Yes, it is very very wet ink :) and gorgeous colour. Your photos are so true to what I see on the paper!

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

This is one of my top blue-black inks! Saturated and rich hue, good amount of water resistance.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Great review. I’m not sure about the ink though... brings to mind Diamine 1864 Blue-Black which was also very wet and very dark (and which I hated at first sight). Guess I’ll have to give it a try sometime to find out.

Only three? That's not even worth mentioning. :lol:

I've been a good boy lately.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/me_halo.jpg

Thanks for the great recommendation. Leans towards S.T. Dupont's BLEU NUIT / Dark Blue Réf. 040111 ???

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for your review. This is a gorgeous ink, an impulse buy that I've never regretted! I'm already thinking about another bottle of it.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Too profoderous for me. I prefer something a bit more playful in my serious ink. Walk Over Vistula, for instance.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Too profoderous for me. I prefer something a bit more playful in my serious ink. Walk Over Vistula, for instance.

I think this ink has that bit of extra excitement in an otherwise dark blue ink. It's a saturated actual blue-black, as opposed to the more typical grayed and tealish blue-black, and it looks interesting in a broad nib / stub. (Disclaimer: I also have and love Walk Over Vistula as well as KWZ IG Turquoise and a bunch of other blue-black inks--all great in their own different ways).

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I'd say Bleu des Profondeurs is closest to Sailor Yonaga but greyer, without the more visible double sheen of Yonaga. And yes it's even wetter and smoother than the Sailor.

That’s quite something, because Shikiori Yonaga is the wettest and most lubricating ink I know. I’ve got a bottle of Profondeurs around, must give the ink another chance. Tried it once, it struck me as dry-ish and would cause the same kind of issues as my older bottle of Café des Îles. I’ll revisit it!

I like deep blue inks, not grey blues, and keep BdP, Monteverde Ocean Noir and Herbin 1670 Bleu Ocean in rotation.

Less is More - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi