Montblanc Toffee Brown, Handwritten Review

Enkida

Hey everyone! I inked up a pen with one of my last cartridges of MB Toffee Brown to see if I wanted to purchase a full bottle of it before the price hike / packaging switch / potential reformulation or discontinuation. The answer turned out to be no, but then I had a pen full of ink to get rid of. What better way to do that than a review amirite? This one is not as entertaining as my previous review. Blame the ink. It's not an entertaining ink! I also stopped halfway through the review because I had the bright idea to search for a solution to the Wateman Kultur nib dryout problem, and lo and behold, FPN answered (with "glue"). So I dropped everything, glued up my pen, and came back to this review two days later, hence the page break, and perhaps the slightly darker ink after the page break. n.B.: Lamy Safari caps fit on Waterman Kultur pens, in case you need to seal an inked pen in a pinch. :P

toffee-brown1.jpg
toffee-brown2.jpg
toffee-brown3.jpg
toffee-brown4.jpg
toffee-brown5.jpg
toffee-brown6.jpg
toffee-brown7.jpg
toffee-brown8.jpg
toffee-brown9.jpg

This is the water test:
toffee-brown14.jpg
toffee-brown10.jpg
toffee-brown11.jpg
toffee-brown12.jpg
toffee-brown13.jpg

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enkida

• Tas

• inkstainedruth

• Paul80

Wow Enkida, I enjoyed this review immensely.

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

I loved reading through this review. I enjoy your humour and sketches.

I prefer my browns darker than this too. It just seems to be.. lacking *something*.

Have you tried Diamine Chocolate Brown? It's a lovely, rich brown, with lots of shading in the right nib.

I'm pleased you decided to use up your last cartridge before deciding on a whole bottle or not.

This way you can use that shelf space for a bottle of ink you know you'll truly look forward to using up.

Looking forward to more of your reviews!

Great review, love your style!

Your speedskaters introduce a new concept to me too, that lubrication is an important quality for fast writers. Never thought of it that way before.

Thank you everyone!

Have you tried Diamine Chocolate Brown? It's a lovely, rich brown, with lots of shading in the right nib.

I actually just got a small bottle of this after trying Macassar based on recommendations here in the forum and absolutely loving it. My favourite brown is still Sailor Jentle Doyou, followed closely by Rohrer & Klingner Sepia, though. :-)

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Great entertaining review and I must ink a pen with it again soon!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Yes, an entertaining review. I however like MTB even though it leans red. Lovely on cream Tomoe River paper and a 1.1 nib.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

This one is the "go to" brown for a lot of people. But I found it too red leaning, so not an ink for me.

Thanks for the review though. Loved the cartoons.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Brilliant review. So much to take in. These must take you an age! Thank you.

This one is the "go to" brown for a lot of people. But I found it too red leaning, so not an ink for me.

Thanks for the review though. Loved the cartoons.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Yep. Gave my almost full bottle away. Far too red for my brown ink tastes.

• 2 weeks later...

Super helpful AND super entertaining review. I hope to read more of these from you! Thank you!

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

What a great review!

There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Thank you for this creative and super informative review. I also like the way the ink looks... not too saturated (which is exactly the way I prefer my inks). I have a bottle waiting to be used, but haven’t gotten to it yet... must give it a try soon!