Diamine Communication Breakdown

lgsoltek

Diamine Communication Breakdown is a Germany exclusive ink (i.e. available only at German distributors). It’s a gorgeous intense red ink with prominent gold sheen. The flow and the lubrication are medium to good.
As it happens it looks exactly the same as KWZ Ink Red #1 that I have in another pen, except the sheen. Unless you look at them at an angle for the golden sheen of the Diamine, they are indistinguishable. The Diamine is somewhat even more saturated than the KWZ but the KWZ writes much wetter and smoother.

Splash

fpn_1563190410__br_sp.jpeg

Sample

(Rhodia)

fpn_1563190427__br.jpeg

fpn_1563190417__br_cl.jpeg

(Tomoe River)

fpn_1563190397__br_tr.jpeg

fpn_1563190400__br_tr_cl.jpeg

Comparison

fpn_1562399638__mod_com2.jpeg

fpn_1562399633__mod_com1.jpeg

Doppelgängers: vs KWZ Ink Red #1

(Tomoe River)

fpn_1563189959__cross_tr.jpeg

It's the golden sheen that tells them apart.

fpn_1563189979__cross_tr_cl.jpeg

(Midori: The lines are drawn with the two inks alternately.)

fpn_1563189975__swirls.jpeg

fpn_1563189996__swirls_cl.jpeg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• Stompie

• TSherbs

• Jan2016

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I especially like the drawing, but I was drawn to read the thread because if its title, which I did not immediately realize was the name of an ink. About four years ago, I bought a bottle of Diamine ink and had problems with its performance in one pen after another. Someone here, a person who has posted dozens of favorable reviews of Diamine inks, suggested that I drop a note to Diamine, which I did--a polite inquiry in which I reported that the ink kept drying out in the nib as I was writing, and I wondered whether there was anything I could do about the situation--but I never got a reply. And never bought another bottle of Diamine ink.

I love that Diamine (and other brands) are releasing more inks with sheening properties. More recently, inks with multiple constituent hues that are distinguishable in writing have also been explored (Sailor ink Studio, Troublemaker Inks). Ink options are becoming increasingly more diverse, going beyond base color (which is already tremmendously diverse). I wonder which ink property will be next on the trendy list.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I'll admit, I initially clicked this post because I was drawn to the title.

I'm pleasantly surprised to find an interesting ink up for review rather than a complaint about Diamine as a company.

What an odd name - although I'm sure I'd find meaning behind it if I was to spend a little time researching it.

This looks to be a gorgeous ink! I don't own too many reds, and so always enjoy reading reviews on new ones, especially reviews which go into as much detail as this!

Very nice! Thank you for the comparison with the topography drawing, they really are good dupes without that sheen. I just got myself a small bottle of this to try out myself - not usually a fan of reds, but it had an eye-catching name and more importantly, sheen. I always fall for sheeners. :-)

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

BTW could it be a cheap replacement for Sailor Yodaki? it looks like the same red, and Yodaki also has sheen

BTW could it be a cheap replacement for Sailor Yodaki? it looks like the same red, and Yodaki also has sheen

They are more different than I thought. The Diamine leans more to blue while Yodaki leans more orange. The Diamine has even more prominent sheen (green), and the sheen of Yodaki is gold.

fpn_1563294262__jpeg_image-526f92316992-

Edited by Lgsoltek

Somebody at Diamine a big Zep fan?

I think it is the guy in Germany that is the fan (to say nothing of all good music lovers the world over :D ) and Diamine make it for him.

I think it is the guy in Germany that is the fan (to say nothing of all good music lovers the world over :D ) and Diamine make it for him.

word

Somebody at Diamine a big Zep fan?

Wondering something similar -- especially since they have the Les Paul Guitar inks (a couple of which are definitely on my short list of inks to buy. Although, like other people, the header is what caught my attention first (and I relieved to see it was an ink review). Of course now I'm earworming the song (well, earlier I was ear worming "Iron Man and "Space Oddity"...).

As for this, I'd like to see a side by side between this and my choice for "true red" -- Diamine Classic Red. Don't know if it's because of the sheen, but this looks to be more blood-red colored in many of the photos. So I'd really have to see this one in person.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 months later...

I purchased Diamine's Purple Rain and Smoke on the Water (more rock hits) from Fountainfeders (no connex). They appear to have the Diamine German Exclusives (including Communication Breakdown) in stock. Prices were decent (even with registered mail added) and service was excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

Wetness, sheen, saturation, the orange side of red, all make Diamine Communication Breakdown a really enjoyable ink.

post-123774-0-54884200-1571591181_thumb.jpeg

post-123774-0-59082000-1571591208_thumb.jpeg

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Wetness, sheen, saturation, the orange side of red, all make Diamine Communication Breakdown a really enjoyable ink.

That looks good. I have the ink and now think I should user it in a broader nib to set it off the way you have. Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...