Wing Sung 699 - Victo Green Stationery Vacuum Filler Coming

JollyCynic

I have this pen with an F nib, which is a bit too fat for me. Does anybody know if there is an extra-fine nib compatible with this pen?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• taike

• Karmachanic

• penzel_washinkton

I got my 699 and HOLY (bleep).

It's a PERFECT clone of the 823, with only maybe 5-10% lower quality.

It's large, well balanced, almost identical, the only thing I don't like is the "CHINA" on the cap band, but otherwise, you could fool anyone that it's an 823. The cap posts super deeply just like the 823, the size is perfect, and the fit/finish are amazing.

For $30, this is a hard pen to beat. I don't think I'd shell out the crazy premium for the gold nib, the steel one is perfectly good.

Nib swapped easily with a jowo, bock, and jinhao. So it'll just take any old #6.

If you aren't sure about whether or not you'll like the size/shape of the 823, before you pull the trigger, just get one of these. It's a SHAMELESS ripoff, but it's so good, and definitely not going to impede on the 823's actual market share, that I don't mind.

I want wing sung to start making a #6 nib knockoff of the mont blanc 146 and maybe even do a #8 to knock off the MB149.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I got my 699 and HOLY (bleep).

It's a PERFECT clone of the 823, with only maybe 5-10% lower quality.

It's large, well balanced, almost identical, the only thing I don't like is the "CHINA" on the cap band, but otherwise, you could fool anyone that it's an 823. The cap posts super deeply just like the 823, the size is perfect, and the fit/finish are amazing.

For $30, this is a hard pen to beat. I don't think I'd shell out the crazy premium for the gold nib, the steel one is perfectly good.

Nib swapped easily with a jowo, bock, and jinhao. So it'll just take any old #6.

If you aren't sure about whether or not you'll like the size/shape of the 823, before you pull the trigger, just get one of these. It's a SHAMELESS ripoff, but it's so good, and definitely not going to impede on the 823's actual market share, that I don't mind.

I want wing sung to start making a #6 nib knockoff of the mont blanc 146 and maybe even do a #8 to knock off the MB149.

Glad to hear it. I have on on the way. I couldn't resist at under £16 delivered. Extra excited now. Thank you

I have also bagged one for use as a travel pen. That and a PENBBS 355.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I'll pass. I don't like the ripoff / copycat stuff.

BTW, I don't get the "5 to 10%" lower quality than the real deal Pilot 823 stat. What is this based on? If I'm in the market for an 823, I'm know I'm spending my dough on a quality gold nib as well as on the pen body itself and it's filling mechanism - and the engineering that went into making the thing.

Given WS's track record, I have to ask: has it cracked yet? Any rust appear? I'm not being facetious here - their rep is not stellar. I'm sure the old adage "you get what you pay for" will pan out.

I'll pass. I don't like the ripoff / copycat stuff.

BTW, I don't get the "5 to 10%" lower quality than the real deal Pilot 823 stat. What is this based on? If I'm in the market for an 823, I'm know I'm spending my dough on a quality gold nib as well as on the pen body itself and it's filling mechanism - and the engineering that went into making the thing.

Given WS's track record, I have to ask: has it cracked yet? Any rust appear? I'm not being facetious here - their rep is not stellar. I'm sure the old adage "you get what you pay for" will pan out.

Does WS have any record of cracking pens or any rust beyond that screw in the 3008, a $1.99 pen?

My 698 has never stopped being inked and hasn't stained at all in two years.

Holding the 699 and 823 side by side, I see tiny flaws on the 699 that aren't on the 823, like the underside edge of the clip being a little rough, the injection seam on just the threads of the barrel, and the piston knob isn't as perfectly glassy smooth. The filler on the 823 is just that tiny bit sweeter and smoother, but as far as the nib goes, I can't really say I have any complaints. It could be a 14k nail for all I knew. It doesn't post QUITE as deep, but it's still just fine, and the resins themselves feel identically smooth and well polished.

Let's be harsh and say the fit/finish are maybe 10% worse than an 823. And that's being harsh. And since it's a tenth of the price, that's impressive.

If you can't AFFORD an 823, and can live without the 14k nib, this pen is amazing. If you CAN afford an 823, but maybe aren't sure you'll like the size, shape, or feel in the hand, this would be a great test run that you could give away or resell for $10-15. and if you can both afford an 823 and know you want one, you won't buy this anyways, so who cares?

There was no special research that went into the 823. These pens aren't pharmaceuticals. Give me a machine shop and three weeks and I'd have a custom vac filler design ready for production.

I only have a problem with knockoffs that genuinely try to fool the customer into buying their product over the real one. Good things don't need to be original, they just need to do what they intended to well.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I only have a problem with knockoffs that genuinely try to fool the customer into buying their product over the real one. Good things don't need to be original, they just need to do what they intended to well.

+1 Well said :thumbup:

Does the cap seal well? Any issues with nib drying out between writing sessions?

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

[quote name="Honeybadgers" post="4238994" timestamp="1565993301

If you can't AFFORD an 823, and can live without the 14k nib, this pen is amazing. If you CAN afford an 823, but maybe aren't sure you'll like the size, shape, or feel in the hand, this would be a great test run that you could give away or resell for $10-15. and if you can both afford an 823 and know you want one, you won't buy this anyways, so who cares?/quote]

This is me. Trying it out to see.

I like your summation 😀

Does WS have any record of cracking pens or any rust beyond that screw in the 3008, a $1.99 pen?

My 698 has never stopped being inked and hasn't stained at all in two years.

Well, there's this, albeit on another forum. Googled it and here you go. I won't bother supplying any more.

I tried a a 618 once, hood cracked without it being dropped, jostled, mishandled. Lasted for half a fill. Went to the landfill.

I got on the badwagon and got a 698, and well this. I'm not sure of that high percentage failure rate, but still, it happens a lot. And it seems I even replied to that post, writing about my positive experience with my 698... It died shortly after.

See, I do have some idea of the quality of the products we are discussing here.

I do indeed take a political stance on ripoffs - I'll leave it at that. If you are OK with them, well, that's dandy.

A bit of levity perhaps:

Edited by dan in montreal

Now a penny under $19 on eBay. No experience with the seller but OK ratings. I hope they come out with some other colors.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Does the cap seal well? Any issues with nib drying out between writing sessions?

My 698 was last used Friday afternoon. I just pulled it out of my bag Sunday morning and it wrote immediately. So at least one doesn’t have an issue

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Well, there's this, albeit on another forum. Googled it and here you go. I won't bother supplying any more.

I tried a a 618 once, hood cracked without it being dropped, jostled, mishandled. Lasted for half a fill. Went to the landfill.

I got on the badwagon and got a 698, and well this. I'm not sure of that high percentage failure rate, but still, it happens a lot. And it seems I even replied to that post, writing about my positive experience with my 698... It died shortly after.

See, I do have some idea of the quality of the products we are discussing here.

I can sympathy with that ; even as a long time Chinese fountain pen user , I would be first to point out that their QC is still very much questionable on many occasions ; with WS Vikto , I had had their 618, 601, 601A, 626, 698, 612 re-issue , 613 New and all of mine come out alright , but there is enough of report particular models having issues of various kinds , and my take is workmanship and tolerance on manufacturing is still too lax and lacking. The most frequent report seems to be either cracking external parts and / or less than finished finishing ... the later one is of manufacturing and material but the former one is all about the steps taken on manufacturing ; usually it can be traced to defective manufacturing tolerance lik over tightening of the parts or similar.

with the coming of more complex mechanism like piston , syringe and now vac fill, I would guess the manufacturing would really had their time ... I shall wait to see how the wider market report on usage and such ... but so far what I see with Vikto , PenBBS alike is their QC had been improving slowly , but steadily so ...

Edited by Mech-for-i

Mine arrived this morning. It looked like it had been through the worst that Royal mail could throw at it. Packaging & presentation box, mangled and very badly damaged. The pen however survived.

Oh boy. It's fabulous!

Ummed and ahhed but quickly loaded it up with some of my Teeling Mix and now have a big grin on my face :D

The pen cost me just under £16 delivered. Its mechanism is silky smooth. No rattles with the end cap loose (unlike my Vac 700). No obvious cheapo flaws. To me, the nib, in real life, looks better than in the photos. It writes what I would call a smooth, wet and bang on medium line and I'm looking forward to scribbling with it all day. No real regrets other than I would have liked an EF line.

A spare Jinhao & Conklin nib failed to fit the section with the supplied feed but I am thus far chuffed to bits with the nib that I'll tolerate it's mediumness.

To those who have orderd. Congratulations. To those who have yet to "add to cart" - I think its a hell of a lot of pen for £16 :)

Ok I am convinced ; its now in the shopping cart

Excellent . . .

http://www.taskyprianou.com/excellent.gif

(P.S. Still scribbling, still loving it. Did I mention the weight? Perhaps it's the rod. The pen has a lovely solid feel to it)

I received the pen and totally loved it... Except for the F/M (and boring) nib. Has anyone found an XF substitute? I have tried an old Waterman's #6, Noodler's Conrad (flex and fine) and a large Sengbusch nib (Fine and Fine stub, with the tail dimple dremeled away), but no joy.

Edited by julikko

The problem with ideas is that good ideas and bad ideas look about the same until you put them into practice.

I received the pen and totally loved it... Except for the F/M (and boring) nib. Has anyone found an XF substitute? I have tried an old Waterman's #6, Noodler's Conrad (flex and fine) and a large Sengbusch nib (Fine and Fine stub, with the tail dimple dremeled away), but no joy.

I'm all ears on this too.

I did manage to squeeze in a rather nice no name No 6(ish) nib that worked . . . only to make it into a PO nib when I closed the cap :wacko:

Tas, I've read that the Kaigelu 316 spare nib fits. What's not to love about a nib with a kangaroo imprint?

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers