Any Pelikan M800 Medium Nib Writing Sample?

zicitron

Hi all,

I am about to go after a Pelikan M800 with a Medium nib. Does anyone have some writing samples to show of the Medium nib (ideally compared with the Broad nib, in case you have both pens)?

That would really help me move forward with this purchase.

Edited by zicitron

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gobblecup

• LyaT

• A Smug Dill

• zicitron

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The '88?-90 W.Germany and Germany to pre-98 regular flex *(eardrop shaped nib) will be half a width narrower than the modern round double kugal/ball nail nib. The older nib will have a cleaner line, and a softer ride. (Not counting that the then made 800 had it's very own even thinner standard of width...see below.)

I don't have an 800, but had the luck to trans-mail a W.Germany 800 after a three day writing session. At the time I was not use to Large pens, so it was too clunky for me. Now it might not be.....but they are not in my plans. I did get a 1005, and I adjusted faster to that Oversized pen than expected. If a 800 fell into my hands.............given or found at a flea market dirt cheap....I'd go for it, but have enough large nail pens....two or four.

If I hit a small hit on the lottery, I might be interested in a W.Germany one. I do though have a W.Germany 200 and small 600 (so those tad springier nibs are actually covered, to go with my '90-97 regular flex Pelikans....I do count the Celebry in that in they do have regular flex nibs, even if made in and past '97.

I have an old 'pre-Japanese' chart, that shows the 800 once had it's own width that was narrower than the other Pelikans..........in between Pelikan and the skinny Waterman.

(Waterman also had a nib set that was just as wide as the Pelikan nibs. That info ended the once flame wars here on the com a decade or so ago, between Waterman "skinnier' nib and the Pelikan holds more ink) That even skinnier marked Japanese pens just started coming in, might have had something to do with the sudden lack of Waterman nib bragging. :rolleyes: When Waterman wasn't the skinniest nib on the block any more )

Conway Stewart was very, very wide, then came Parker, Sheaffer, the two Pelikans and Waterman......On the chart Pelikan EF was skinniest of all.... :yikes:......Times don't always change for the better.......................so do look at the W.Germany or '90-97 Germany 800 nibs for the skinnest of Pelikan nibs.

How times change, the stiffer modern Pelikan nibs are a half a width wider than semi-vintage or vintage Standard Nibs, or could be a 3/4ths a size wider the old 800's nibs.

. The 1000 is a regular flex nib, outside one is lucky and get a Bock made Pelikan nib for it, which was semi-flex.

Bock made Pelikan's nibs for @ 12 years. Many complained about the Bock nib. The 1000 was the last Bock nib taken back In-House. The very same complaints continued..... :lticaptd:...why not, it was the very same fat and blobby nib, often over polished to give baby bottom.

Many of the folks liked the semi-vintage nibs so complained about the new ones.

Depending on what you want for a nib....a nail.....which makes for a good stub or CI, (IMO got to do something to give a nail a bit of character.)

or the wonderful '88-90 W.Germany springy regular flex (rarer, costs more than the '90-97 Germany nib) or the very nice '90-97 regular flex.

There is a slight tad of more spring in the W. Germany nib, over the '90-97 nib.....But you'd have to have both to feel the difference.

I suggest thinking about the very well balanced posted**, light and nimble with a nice girthed medium-large 600, in you can put on the semi-vintage springy regular flex or vintage semi-flex nib.......The old 600 is only standard 400 size, so suggest the modern medium large 600, for nib options, and being a delightful pen, along with the more nib options.

There are very many beautiful 600's. :notworthy1: :thumbup: :puddle:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have a medium and a broad ground to a cursive italic if you think that compares well enough. Let me know and Ill try to post pics soon!

Gobblecup ~

Here is a writing sample of the M815 with a Broad Cursive Italic done by Dan Smith atop an M800 Medium nib as it came from the factory. I only have other italic Pelikan nibs with me and I cannot show you a better reference point right now. I hope this helps a bit. The broad probably looks a bit wider than as it was originally, because it has been flattened by the grind to a really wide tip surface on the paper!

post-50025-0-53566700-1562972986_thumb.jpeg

Gobblecup ~

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

That broad cursive italic looks gorgeous! Is that a metal strip M805 or the gray Stresemann? Very nice pen.

That broad cursive italic looks gorgeous! Is that a metal strip M805 or the gray Stresemann? Very nice pen.

It is the Metal Stripe M815! :D

Gobblecup ~

It is the Metal Stripe M815! :D

Ah yes the heavier version. I did some searches after seeing your picture. I was previously contemplating for the M805 gray striped version, but now I am quickly falling for the M815. This one looks more classy and cool. The largest pen I used is M600, maybe the weight is too big a jump for me, but the design is hard to resist.

The jump from M to B is bigger than F to M. I have only OB to compare against my M nib. I found OB much thicker and delivers much better shading than M. All my nibs are M400 and M600. Never tried M800 yet but I think the same trend should apply.