Ensso Italia On Kickstarter

Theroc

Any possibility of posting a picture of it side-by-side to other standard size fountain pens? eg. twsbi eco, pelikan m800, safari, etc.

The price is actually great for these pens.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• bbs

• Jamerelbe

• MuddyWaters

Here ya go.

Honestly, it feels a lot like a solid brass montblanc 149.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I was more describing the feel in the hand. The section isn't quite as straight as the 149, but overall the length and "feel" of such a thick section is very 149 ish. it does slightly taper, and doesn't have a flare, but the greek key on the section acts like a big textured "stop" so it doesn't slip around.

The threads are starting to feel a little more "sure" of mating together, but it's still too soon to tell. I really hope it comes together, this pen is rapidly becoming one of my all time favorites to write with. The nib's tuning is just a dream, and the balance is superb.

Left to right - TWSBI Eco, MB 149, Ensso italia brass, Parker duofold centennial big red, tactile turn gist in copper, platinum 3776, lamy safari petrol.

As you can see, the ensso and gist are the only two that are tolerable posted or unposted, and the 3776 joins them in usability posted.

The ensso just has a much girthier feel to it, which I like in a pen as heavy as it is. The gist can sometimes feel a little unwieldy (though I do really like it - I need to find a good nib for it. My only other #6 titanium nibs are way too wet for it to be everyday usable)

fpn_1579078898__20200115_004932.jpg

fpn_1579078983__20200115_005116.jpg

fpn_1579079007__20200115_005242.jpg

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Looks super nice. Thanks HB. That brass is attractive. I would probably get the black aluminum version.

I'm using a jinhao 159 these days at home with a Jowo broad and I have to make sure that it's not already just what I need. If not, I may just get one of these.

the aluminum version would be very, very light and agile.

If I had the money, a titanium one would definitely not go unused in my collection. The jinhao always felt badly balanced. This doesn't (it has more forward weight)

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Just got notice of a further delay due to a faulty batch of cartridge cartridge converters - remaining backers have a choice to accept delivery with 5 cartridges instead, or wait till February for a converter. I have enough spare converters lying around that I think I'll go for the earlier delivery option - but it's a bit of a bummer!

On the bright side, good to hear that the nib is well-adjusted - here's hoping that's the case for the rest of us!

The early bird price still applies with the Pre-order button on the Kickstarter page, so I’ve just broken my ‘no more pens till March’ pledge and ordered a titanium 3 rings with fine titanium nib.I like Ensso’s clean designs and I’ve got two Piumas which I love using.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

My Ensso Italia finally arrived.

The pen looks very nice. It's comfortable in the hand. I couldn't get it to write. I cleaned it carefully in all the usual ways but without result. In the end I discarded the Ensso-supplied nib and replaced it with a Bock #6 which I purchased from a Bock supplier. That works well.

This is my second Ensso pen. The first was a Piuma and it is wonderful. I am very disappointed with the way this Kickstarter was conducted, if only because they made such a song and dance about "tuning every nib". I can only assume that the nib they sent me had not been tuned or even tested.

I'd be curious to know if others have had the same experience.

Coincidentally, the very same day, I took delivery of a Stilform Kosmos Ink, with a "big" Bock #5 steel nib (the Type 076). It writes like a dream.

So, I love Bock, I love my Ensso Piuma but feel very let down by this particular Kickstarter experience.

Edited by Braxfield

"They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
the Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley Pen."

Mine is now in transit, but given its international destination (the Land of Aus), I may still not see it for another week... Will let you know how it writes when I get it, though!

Well I’m very impressed with the delivery and service - despite opting to wait for a converter my titanium pen arrived today it looks great and writes beautifully, no problems with the titanium nib ..... but the threading is appalling, I’ve never had a pen so bad, sadly. The barrel isn’t great but the cap is really tricky, even with turning anti-clockwise first. Like Honeybadgers, I’ll give it time, but it’s very finicky and annoying.

More so as by chance my Metaxas & Sins titanium Stylos also arrived today, and the threads on that work very smoothly.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

My Titanium arrived today. It's a nice looking pen with decent heft. I've not a lot of time for Bock nibs and I'll probably replace it with a Knox oblique in due course but it actually writes pretty well. The shocking thing (as bbs has already said) is that the threading on both the cap and the barrel is dreadful. You have to take real care when replacing both cap and barrel. There's no way that such poor threading should have got through any semblance of quality control

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Quick update as I’m getting to grips with posting this pen a bit better. It does still need a bit of care and thought but if I hold the pen so it’s vertical and aim to put the cap on absolutely square, it helps.

I like the rest of this pen so much I will persevere with it. And I appreciate Ensso’s designs enough that I’ve also just ordered an XS, which seems perfect for me to do Sudoku with on the train home at night. I love my two Piuma’s so I’m going to support this company and look forward to seeing where else they go. Their pens are a very fair price, and you can’t beat free shipping to the UK!

You have to take real care when replacing both cap and barrel. There's no way that such poor threading should have got through any semblance of quality control

This works for me. YMMV.

Hold cap upright and perpendicular in my left hand. Insert the the bottom half of the section into the cap. Let go and let gravity do its thing. Rotate the barrel until snug. Sometimes a slight anti-clockwise rotation helps to get started.

Add lightness and simplicate.

The issue is they used such fine threading and there's no "sleeve" to guide it together well.

But with about a month of use under its belt, I can say mine has gotten dramatically better. It still crossthreads more than I like, but it's light years better than when it was new, and is settled in enough that I can enjoy it as a work pen.

I also gave it a tiny pass of silicone grease on the section-barrel threads and now it doesn't ever unscrew (it would occasionally do so, the grease gives it that tiny bit of "stick" it needed)

It's kind of neck and neck with my copper tactile turn. I like the overall style of the italia more, but the gist is so satisfying in the hand with its grooves. Both cross thread. Machined metal pens just have a habit of cross threading.

Also, they seem to be discontinuing the model, maybe they weren't happy with the threads after all. But the aluminum italias in black are on deep discount. I was considering one, but I don't really need it.

My Italia finally arrived today - same problem with cross-threading that others are describing. I've applied some silicone grease, and will see if it settles down over the next little while. I certainly hope so - it's a beautiful looking pen!

I received my titanium model one week ago. I am very pleased with the way it writes and with the feel of the pen in hand. The threading, however, . I am hoping it settles in with use.

Mine is definitely settling in after a week and is much easier to cap now.

One other thing though is that the nib is quite ‘noisy’, but almost as if it weren’t seated correctly and is moving against something as I write. I did also go for the discounted black aluminium version as my titanium is 3 stripes and I liked the look of the Greek keys too - and the same is happening with that nib. Loathe to fiddle with them now they’re inked but it’s slightly disconcerting.

It's kind of neck and neck with my copper tactile turn. I like the overall style of the italia more, but the gist is so satisfying in the hand with its grooves. Both cross thread. Machined metal pens just have a habit of cross threading.

That copper version looks so gorgeous. Can I ask how heavy it feels in use? I’d be tempted if it weren’t going to be a work-out every time I wrote something ....