Montblanc Modena Red

lgsoltek

Montblanc is currently revamping their line of inks, discontinuing some favourite colours, introducing some others, putting them in new packaging and of course not forgetting to increase their price. During this process Corn Poppy Red, a favourite of mine and my first Montblanc ink, is killed off and replaced by this Modena Red.

I think someone at Montblanc is allergic to colours and dyes. Modena Red is a lame watery barely-existing so-called "red". It's as horrible as their "Ladies Edition Pearl". The only good thing I can say about it is that they didn't bother to call it "red for true women" or "brave men use red" or any of that gibberish.

Apart from the horrible colour, Modena Red has extremely dry flow and no lubrication whatsoever. It's like writing with the tip of a nail. It's the most unpleasant ink to write with I've ever experienced. Move away, Diamine Autumn Oak. Modena Red is now the driest ink ever. I can't believe Corn Poppy Red died for this. Promise me, give your money away to the poor instead of buying a bottle of this, please?

Thank you inkantadora for offering me a cartridge to try.

Splash

fpn_1562399637__mod_spl.jpeg

Sample

(Rhodia)

fpn_1562399655__mod.jpeg

fpn_1562399629__mod_cl.jpeg

(Tomoe River)

fpn_1562399650__mod_tr.jpeg

fpn_1562399647__mod_tr_cl.jpeg

Comparison

fpn_1562399638__mod_com2.jpeg

fpn_1562399633__mod_com1.jpeg

(I used to think Rouge Caroubier is a terrible red ink. I didn't realise there would be something worse. Congratulations Montblanc, you did it!)

fpn_1562399644__mod_com3.jpeg

Edited by Lgsoltek

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• truthpil

• praxim

• mauckcg

Ugh!

That is ... disturbing! :crybaby:

Corn Poppy Red was also a favorite of mine. What a shame that they discontinued it.

Thankfully I have two full bottles of it (also two bottles of Shakespeare :bunny01: ).

Thank you for the review and for saving my money.

I'm convinced. :)

Having some Corn Poppy and Shakespeare Velvet Red, I too find this a pretty disappointing shift.

X

The sad thing is that some people will probably think fountain pens are awful because they dont know any better and ink it with this dry monstrosity. ☹ They should be ashamed to sell this at the price they do.

<font face= "Cursive"; font color="#8B00FF" ; font size= 3; font face="Arial"> In Instagram, I am also Inkantadora .</font><font face= "Cursive"; font color="#CC06FF" ; font size=3; font face="Arial"> I live and dream in saturated and sheening color.</font>

Somebody at MB may be allergic to red but the one responsible for their production has to be addicted to red. Over the years, red has been their basic LE color. A lot of the previous reds were truly great, all-time winners, so why not now whip out a watered-down bucket of ink that nobody wants? MB's high prices don't seem to matter any more here.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Goodness, I thought Elixir Parfumeur Vetiver Green had to be the worst in a while and now this comes along ...

It reminds me of horrid old MB ruby from the 80s, the sort of Lamy / Pelikan not-really-red that is only beautiful as it circles a draining plughole. And yes, it is dispiriting how much the snowflake warps judgement.

Thank you for reviewing it though.

John

Edited by encremental

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for this review! I was considering buying a bottle of this. Not now! It sounds terrible. I will not waste my money.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Now we wait for the first brave soul to say, "Well, actually...", and courage to them. Tastes are not universal, even though I know mine on this one.

X

Oh Dear. I was hoping for a Ferrari Red by the title, not to be.

Also a Cornpoppy Red fan this is a poor replacement.

Now we wait for the first brave soul to say, "Well, actually...", and courage to them. Tastes are not universal, even though I know mine on this one.

That’s true. Actually these “fresh” “transparent” are very well received in the East Asian market (not for me though). But the performance of this ink, that dryness that scratchiness, it’s just horrible.

I'm convinced. :)

Having some Corn Poppy and Shakespeare Velvet Red, I too find this a pretty disappointing shift.

+1

Corn Poppy Red was my baseline for reds, I might go over to MB and see if they have a bottle of two left.

Al

Wow. That IS one weak color. But I really really love your comparison swabs. Thanks.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Yup, the new "red" sucks. Mr. Pink does not like weak colors. My bottle of Corn Poppy is all the more cherished.

• 2 months later...

Yepp, the first thing i thought thats no red, that is pink washed out chalk...one of the few inks completely went down the sink, as the impression did not change in even the wettest pen. Luckily i could stock Corn Poppy Red up when i saw that.

Edited by scratchofapen

~ Montblanc Modena Red is the one recent Montblanc ink which has eluded me.

While a Montblanc boutique in my area had all other color in tock, Modena Red was unavailable.

In October I'll revisit in hopes of finding a bottle.

All of the comments posted in this thread were helpful.

Tom K.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up that Corn Poppy has been discontinued! I must grab a bottle before it is replaced by this totally unsatisfying shade.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• 5 months later...

I am so glad you saved me.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 4 months later...

Today is August 22, 2020, and I've just found out that Corn Poppy Red is no more. (It's been a rough few months.) How could Montblanc kill this most awesome ink off? Am debating whether to drop $60 for a bottle on ebay.