Nakaya Chinkin “Center Arrangement” Portable Writer

jandrese

bright-jpg.2388902

Remember when Travolta opened the briefcase in Pulp Fiction? Now I know what was inside!

48189672622_3eb02941ee_k.jpg

48189614926_6937c86ec9_k.jpg

As is my preference I ordered this Nakaya directly from Japan via email. They are always most pleasant and the nib adjustment beyond reproach.

48189672022_b45d7a7cb0_k.jpg

I’ve collected fountain pens for nearly 25 years and this is far from my first urushi fountain pen. It’s not even my first chinkin pen. Nevertheless, I am astonished by this amazing pen. The combination of beauty, bespoke craftsmanship, and writing qualities are unmatched in my collection.

48189670962_c5fd4a840a_k.jpg

48189613781_39b017e33a_k.jpg

The finish is darker, more subdued, radiant, gorgeous, brighter, and bewitching than I imagined. Confused? It depends on the ambient light, but this pen quietly screams sublimity.

48189672107_19bb5ad62a_k.jpg

48189670597_1fc8cc6d89_k.jpg

The size, shape, balance, geometry, design, and execution render a pen that simply functions as a superb writing instrument. The medium nib writes what appears to be a boringly unwavering (Japanese) medium line. What you cannot observe is the experience that is one of supreme confidence and superlative feel. It puts down exactly the amount of ink required smoothly without fuss at the exact angle I hold the pen. It’s…natural.

48189671622_912c5967b2_h.jpg

48189998002_c93bc5f9e0_k.jpg

The packaging is standard Nakaya and the one “upgrade” I got was the urushi koi painted converter, which is very cute. The pen shipped with a cartridge in place all ready to write; a bit of a surprise but a pretty confident move. This pen was made for writing. A hand-made piece of high-end art with a purpose.

48189670192_378f44e24c_k.jpg

Here it is compared to the Sailor KOP vermilion urushi. The KOP costs almost double...

48189670097_a8d3b3cbe1_k.jpg48189612101_573a737f4b_k.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• Doug C

• mongrelnomad

• XYZZY

Spectacularly beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us. I'm glad it is also a fabulous writer. May you and it enjoy years of happiness!

Remember when Travolta opened the briefcase in Pulp Fiction? Now I know what was inside!

[snip]

Excellent introduction! Congratulations on the pen!

Absolutely beautiful - enjoy it in good health.

I would caution against the maki-e converters. They are tiny little dainty works of art, but the Platinum converters themselves are prone to failure, so they usually prove a frustratingly short-lived pleasure.

Too many pens; too little writing.

Absolutely beautiful - enjoy it in good health.

I would caution against the maki-e converters. They are tiny little dainty works of art, but the Platinum converters themselves are prone to failure, so they usually prove a frustratingly short-lived pleasure.

I noticed that as well. All of my Platinum/Nakaya converters have a rough feel to them. Most $6 standard converters feel better.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Congratulations on this beauty.... write memorably with it... I should share with you that our earlier conversations have resulted in my first Nakaya.. Dorsal Fin v2 Heki Tamenuri broad. it is an indescribably good writer.... so nice... thanks (I think) for heading me down this path. :)

Congratulations on this beauty.... write memorably with it... I should share with you that our earlier conversations have resulted in my first Nakaya.. Dorsal Fin v2 Heki Tamenuri broad. it is an indescribably good writer.... so nice... thanks (I think) for heading me down this path. :)

Thanks! Big congrats on the Dorsal Fin, that's a cool pen.

• 1 month later...

That's a beautiful pen. I hope to acquire one in blue/white in the near future. That is probably my grail pen.