Inky T O D - If You Had To Rebuild Your Ink Collection From Scratch, What Would Be Your Initial Selections?

amberleadavis

I don't have an extensive ink collection, to begin with, but If someone came in and took all my inks away?

Firstly, a bottle of Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing. It's been my daily use ink for a decade, and it has all the properties I need to keep using it as my daily writing ink for the rest of my life.

Secondly, although I don't use black ink very much, I would definitely buy a pigmented black ink. I don't actually own any at the moment, so I don't know which I would choose. Maybe the Platinum Carbon Black?

Third, I just got a bottle of Teranishi Guitar Brand Taisho Roman Haikara Modern Red, because I needed a true red ink, and this was the most beautiful one I could find. I'm very happy with it, so I would definitely buy it again.

I think I want to purchase the Salon de Violet from the same line, just because I love violet inks. I used to use Pelikan 4001 Violet, and then J. Herbin Violette Pensée, but I like the look of Salon de Violet better than both of those. I don't need another blue, but I might get the Melancholic Blue from this line, as well, just because I like the aesthetic of this line of inks. I did also buy the Antique Black from this line, but only because I was looking for black and red, together, so I bought the Antique Black. I haven't even opened the bottle, yet. There are a few other colors in this line I like, but I don't actually need them, so I probably won't ever actually buy them.

Fourth, I do like the occasional seasonal color, and two of the ones I really like are Sailor Jentle Sakura Mori and Nagasawa Kobe INK Monogatari Ikutagawa Sakura. These are very close cherry blossom pink siblings. Sakura Mori tends a little more orange, and Ikutagawa Sakura tends a little more purple. They are both made by Sailor.

Fifth, I have my eye on the Kakimori pigment inks, and I want the black and red. They aren't strong priorities for me, right now, but they are on my wish list.

Other than these, I want a nice yellow highlighter ink. I have one, but I don't know if I'd buy it again. And I want a really nice green as a seasonal color, but I haven't found "the one", yet.

Paige Paigen

Gemma Seymour, Founder & Designer, Paige Paigen

Daily use pens & ink: TWSBI ECO-T EF, TWSBI ECO 1.1 mm stub italic, Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• pgcauk

• NeverTapOut

• ParramattaPaul

M thought on ink is, one must have something for which to communicate. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Here is a starting point. These are all inks that I have finished one or more bottles and purchased another. I have finished others, but for whatever reason never got a second.

Pelikan 4001 Blue Black - have finished at least 4 bottles.

Edelstein Olivine

Levenger Amethyst

Levenger Cobalt Blue

Levenger Forest Green

Levenger Pomegranate - unfortunately no longer available - I would get a 3rd. :)

KWZI El Dorado

KWZI Pine Green

Waterman Serenity Blue

Blackstone Sydney Harbour Blue

Lamy Turquoise

Some that I use enough that once the bottle is empty I will be buying another:

Diamine Merlot

DIamine Classic Red

Levenger Blue Bahama

Edelstein Topaz

Pelikan 4001 Violet

There would probably be others as well. Aventurine and Sapphire from Edelstein are in this group.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

SHORT ANSWER: Only two - [spoiler, heh] Sailor Kiwaguro and Montblanc Permanent Blue.

I'm sure there are others, but I would feel the urgency to replace them as I would with the above two.

From the star on the topic, I can see that I've replied to this thread, but I don't remember which inks I named, although #1 would have been Noodler's Black.

Which has been unseated since about a year or two ago by... Sailor Kiwaguro.

I'm still seeking my "the one" blue (waterproof preferred), and after having had terrible ink-flow problems with Montblanc Permanent Blue back in 2014, I was loathe to use it. 

But... I have Kaweco pens that use the small cartridges, and I had Mb Permanent Blue cartridges (also purchased in 2014), so I... with some hesitation, popped one into a Sport...and lo!, the beautiful color entranced me again. I went through an entire (somewhat evaporated) cartridge of the ink without any problems.

So now I have a bottle of Montblanc Permanent Blue taking the place of Platinum Blue-Black. I still like the PBB, but MbPB is more vivid without the red sheen. (I don't like the red sheen of many blue or blue-black inks.)

These are the two inks I currently would replace immediately.

I've just tried Mb Corn Poppy Red (cartridges for another Kaweco Sport), and wow, I love this color! Also still love KWZ Flame Red (but MbCPR comes in cartridges, so...).

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

5 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

I'm still seeking my "the one" blue (waterproof preferred), and after having had terrible ink-flow problems with Montblanc Permanent Blue back in 2014, I was loathe to use i

I, too, had problems with MB Permanent Blue but have found a great alternative in Noodler's Baltimore Canyon Blue. It's very vivid and archival, waterproof, etc.  I've been using it as my standard ink for over a year and recommend it highly.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I offered a comment listing three inks when this thread first started, but TBH I currently only use one ink and that would be the only one -- at least for now -- that I would replace.  Diamine Oxford Blue.  

2 hours ago, OCArt said:

I, too, had problems with MB Permanent Blue but have found a great alternative in Noodler's Baltimore Canyon Blue. It's very vivid and archival, waterproof, etc.  I've been using it as my standard ink for over a year and recommend it highly.

Good to know, thanks!

So far, this newer bottle of MbPB is performing beautifully (in a Pilot Custom 74, EF). I'm thinking maybe Mb has worked out the kinks.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I seem to remember they changed the formulation in the 10's, so it may be the likely explanation.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

My answer would change every week most likely, but I'd start with Waterman Harmonious Green, which I always keep in stock in memory of a friend who passed away suddenly. It was the only colour he would use! I'd add Mysterious Blue, as a good solid, yet interesting blue. Red - I've never found my perfect one yet, so I'd probably buy a bunch of samples. Something waterproof, to go in my fineliner - probably Scabiosa. Take-sumi for my black, Wearingeul Path for shimmy green, either Diamine Ochre or Herbin Lie de The for brown, and Private Reserve Black Cherry for a rich burgundy. Oh and Bouquet d'Antan as the closest to the dusty pink that I can picture but can't quite match. After that I'd probably get a bunch I haven't tried before.