Which Vintage Pens Have Large Ink Capacities?

kealani

Seeing that you are in the US I would recommend Rick Propas ( https://www.thepenguinpen.com ). He is an expert on vintage Pelikans and usually has a great selection of restored pens available with plenty of options when it comes to nibs and whatnot. Naturally there is a premium compared to pens bought from ebay or found in the wild but... you do get what you pay for.

Thanks for your help.

Yes. I checked out his site.

He has a few 400nn's. I'll ask for some writing samples.

mahalo

jim

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kealani

• OMASsimo

• Honeybadgers

• MaryCatherine

Another vote for a vintage Pelikan. Okay, mine from the 1950s not so much because it's got an OB nib.... B)

Parker 51s and Vacumatics are also good choices (particularly Vacs because the barrel becomes an ink chamber).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Yes.

My absolute best writing pen at this point is a 1947 Parker Vacumatic with a Fine point nib (recent aquisition). At least it's the one that my handwriting likes as well.

Thanks for your help.

jim

I'm a big fan of a Sheaffer plunger-filler I have from the mid-1900s. It's a balance model, and because of how well made it is and the filling system, unlike some modern pens, I am able to fill the entire body with ink. That is rarely seen in modern pens.... A lot of vintage pens have huge capacities. Good luck finding the right pen!

But I would try a Sheaffer soon enough :thumbup:

Edited by WLSpec

I'm a big fan of a Sheaffer plunger-filler I have from the mid-1900s. It's a balance model, and because of how well made it is and the filling system, unlike some modern pens, I am able to fill the entire body with ink. That is rarely seen in modern pens.... A lot of vintage pens have huge capacities. Good luck finding the right pen!

But I would try a Sheaffer soon enough :thumbup:

Thanks for the tips.

Which model Sheaffer "plunger filler" from the 50's. ??

Suggestions?

Aloha

jim

Postal Reservoir Pen large one with clip..Bulb Filler....Or

Safety pen with retracting nibs..Eyedropper Filler....

Both have substantial ink capacity..{Wanna write War and Peace..use one}

Fred

Edited by Freddy

Thanks for the tips.

Suggestions?

Aloha

jim

Suspect the subject is a 40s vacuum-filler rather than a 50s (well, ~48 on) Touchdown/Snorkel.. The sac in a Touchdown isn't much different from that in any lever filler (or Conklin Crescent filler).

Thanks for the tips.

Suggestions?

Aloha

jim

This one from Gerry Berg is similar to Sheaffer Sovereign II for sale at Main Street Pens: http://www.mainstreetpens.com/pensales.htm

Honestly, I think I should have listened to him and got a larger nib size which would have used up more ink quicker. :unsure:

Even though it is a small pen, the volume to nib ratio would qualify for Use 1 pen for Year status

If you got the Pelikan 400NN and this, you could last on any island with this pair :D

fpn_1562131800__sheaffer_gb_vac_fill_plu

• 2 weeks later...

Sheaffer Vac Fills and Conklin Nozacs

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

This one from Gerry Berg is similar to Sheaffer Sovereign II for sale at Main Street Pens: http://www.mainstreetpens.com/pensales.htm

Honestly, I think I should have listened to him and got a larger nib size which would have used up more ink quicker. :unsure:

Even though it is a small pen, the volume to nib ratio would qualify for Use 1 pen for Year status

If you got the Pelikan 400NN and this, you could last on any island with this pair :D

fpn_1562131800__sheaffer_gb_vac_fill_plu

Terrific!

Okay. The hunt for a mint restored Pelikan 400 NN with a tuned nib begins today.

Thanks for the help.

jim

Great tip.

Are the Sheaffer Vac Fills similar to the Parker Vacumatics???

Thanks for the help.

jim

No, you have to unscrew the back, pull the plunger backward, then put your pen in a bottle and then pull the plunger forward to fill the pen. Restored, a vac fill will last you decades and give you a hood ink capacity and which is much more important than on a vacumatic. I have one restored by Ron Zorn and it works flawlessly, three oversize Vac Fill balances are coming back from repair from him so that I can enjoy them again. He is also very good at restoring vacumatics.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

No, you have to unscrew the back, pull the plunger backward, then put your pen in a bottle and then pull the plunger forward to fill the pen. Restored, a vac fill will last you decades and give you a hood ink capacity and which is much more important than on a vacumatic. I have one restored by Ron Zorn and it works flawlessly, three oversize Vac Fill balances are coming back from repair from him so that I can enjoy them again. He is also very good at restoring vacumatics.

Great Tips!

Okay. . . I'm on the hunt for a mint condition Sheaffer Vac Fil.

Thanks again,

jim

Slight derail, but speaking of vintage pelikans, I just picked up this one on an auction. I don't think I got a particularly good deal if it needs new seals, but if it does, is this a 400, like I think it is? It's got the feed design of the 140, looks friction fit.

It also says gunther wagner on the barrel, but seems to be 14k, and not the rare 18k one. The nib looks like a stub, but is the "BB" on the knob indicative that it's a double broad?

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gunther-Wagner-Pelikan-14-karat-gold-NIB-Fountain-Pen-brown-striped-BB-/383033380759?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=UOm%252BlXWyFOU1tntXv21oaJX1laU%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Does anyone happen to know the ink capacity of Pelikan 140?

Not off hand, but mine holds a boatload. the EF semiflex in mine writes for days or weeks before refilling.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Slight derail, but speaking of vintage pelikans, I just picked up this one on an auction. I don't think I got a particularly good deal if it needs new seals, but if it does, is this a 400, like I think it is? It's got the feed design of the 140, looks friction fit.

It also says gunther wagner on the barrel, but seems to be 14k, and not the rare 18k one. The nib looks like a stub, but is the "BB" on the knob indicative that it's a double broad?

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gunther-Wagner-Pelikan-14-karat-gold-NIB-Fountain-Pen-brown-striped-BB-/383033380759?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=UOm%252BlXWyFOU1tntXv21oaJX1laU%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Yes, this pretty clearly is a 400 and the "BB" on the filling knob (originally in white) indicates the nib type. Like all B, BB, and so on German nibs of that period, they are what now people call a stub. They are fantastic nibs with tons of character. And standard was 14 k always. The 18 k nibs were made only for export, particularly to France because in France you couldn't call a 14 k nib a "gold" nib legally. Therefore, basically all producers of high-end pens in the old days made 18 k nibs for the French market.

I think seals can be had for around 5 bucks and yes, the piston mechanism is friction fit and must be pushed out from the front or it will be destroyed. I would soak it for a week and then apply mild heat before I try to push it out. If you are patient and careful, it should work without any problem.

Not off hand, but mine holds a boatload. the EF semiflex in mine writes for days or weeks before refilling.

I have an F and it also writes quite a bit on one filling.

Yup, that is an early 400 Tortoise and going by the pictures only you got a good deal (just saw a 400 Tortoise in similar condition and with a less rare nib go for +$220). Bit of brassing on the cap band but that will polish out just fine (it is kind of uncommon to find a 400 with a cap band that would not have brassing on the edge/lip).

The piston seal, being synthetic, is most likely just fine.

BB-nibs are way more rare than EF/F/M and even B, and like OMASsimo said, they have that lovely excellent stubby/CI character. That combined with a pen that is marked BB the combo is even more rare.

The nib unit is 99.9% likely a screw on type (like Pelikan nib units are usually aside from a few exceptions). There were some 400 friction fit ones made but those are super rare, made during the first few months of production of the 400 ( https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/186560-pelikan-400-friction-fit-nib-unit/ ).

Btw. before removing the nib unit (it screws out counterclockwise) make sure it has been soaked free of dried ink.

The earlier nibs (so called "script" nibs) which you can find on early 400 pens are slightly more flexy/springy than the later "chevron" nibs. I personally prefer the earlier ones, not a huge difference though.

So in short, would not have minded picking that pen for that price, for sure. I actually have one that is similar in my EDC kit, just with a later "chevron" nib (also BB). It is one of my favourite writers of all time, esp. now that I touched it up a bit to be a bit more acute in profile/character.