1Oz-2Oz Leak Proof Ink Storage Bottles : Share Your Experience

samasry

Hi all

I am looking for some good bottles for ink storage that is leak proof and could hold up to 1 or 2 Oz.

I have some of the Pilot 350 mL bottles and I would like to use smaller vials or bottles for pen filling ink that originates from the larger pilot bottles.

I do understand that you can re-use empty ink bottles. With my use rate, it will take long time before I get to empty any of my current ink bottles.

If you have some good experience with some good leak proof bottles, please do share.

Thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• samasry

• kestrel

• gregamckinney

• DrDebG

Yes, this. Your quest was one of the fastest on record! :)

I keep all my ink in Nalgene bottles (couple hundred of them by now, yikes!) Can't imagine ever storing, shipping or otherwise transporting ink any other way.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Yes, this. Your quest was one of the fastest on record! :)

I keep all my ink in Nalgene bottles (couple hundred of them by now, yikes!) Can't imagine ever storing, shipping or otherwise transporting ink any other way.

Best Regards, greg

I agree , Dave's response was extremely fast and helpful. I have been wasting amazing amount of time on amazon, looking at mason jars that look leaky and problematic. I did not even realize this option was available. Thank you guys, :D

Only one answer - Nalgene bottles, as others have said.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Only one answer - Nalgene bottles, as others have said.

Thank you for the confirmation. I did not know this was such common knowledge. I should have asked a lot earlier , but then I just joined few weeks ago :)

Thank you for the confirmation. I did not know this was such common knowledge. I should have asked a lot earlier , but then I just joined few weeks ago :)

In that case, a belated welcome to Enablers R Us.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I think you can get Nalgene bottles online. I'll admit that I probably paid a bit more, but I got most of mine at REI in the camping/backpacking section. I use one of the larger 4 oz. bottles for distilled water when I'm traveling, in case I have issues with a pen getting cloggy (I'll just pour out what I need into a paper cup).

Mind you, unless it's upright in a basket, I will put bottles inside ziplock bags, just to be on the safe side, the way I do for sample vials (which make excellent short-term inkwells, BTW -- I have a lot of samples and if I like an ink I will save the original sample vial and refill it from the bottle -- and that way they're already labeled :thumbup:). I also have bought some clean empty vials for inks that I didn't have a sample of; I find, though, that return address labels (the peel off-stick on kind) don't stick too well, so I have to then put scotch tape around the edges of the label).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for formatting

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I can tell that I'm getting old. I used some prescription bottles. Airtight, leakproof and already in my desk.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I think you can get Nalgene bottles online. I'll admit that I probably paid a bit more, but I got most of mine at REI in the camping/backpacking section. I use one of the larger 4 oz. bottles for distilled water when I'm traveling, in case I have issues with a pen getting cloggy (I'll just pour out what I need into a paper cup).

Mind you, unless it's upright in a basket, I will put bottles inside ziplock bags, just to be on the safe side, the way I do for sample vials (which make excellent short-term inkwells, BTW -- I have a lot of samples and if I like an ink I will save the original sample vial and refill it from the bottle -- and that way they're already labeled :thumbup:). I also have bought some clean empty vials for inks that I didn't have a sample of; I find, though, that return address labels (the peel off-stick on kind) don't stick too well, so I have to then put scotch tape around the edges of the label).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for formatting

Thank you for the good advice. I have purchased some of the Nalgene from the container store link that was posted earlier, it will take couple of weeks to arrive.

I just realized from your reply that the sample vial option would have been great actually. In my case I did not have any, however I found goulet and others selling empty sample vials. Perhaps, I might try some of these as well.

I can tell that I'm getting old. I used some prescription bottles. Airtight, leakproof and already in my desk.

As long as you are young at heart, that is what matters :D

I have few of CVS bottles, with several holes in the cap, so I naturally assumed they are not leak proof. I just did a quick test and they seem to leak a bit.

There must other versions that have better sealed caps, unfortunately, I do not have any of these.

Thanks for the idea

As long as you are young at heart, that is what matters :D

I have few of CVS bottles, with several holes in the cap, so I naturally assumed they are not leak proof. I just did a quick test and they seem to leak a bit.

There must other versions that have better sealed caps, unfortunately, I do not have any of these.

Thanks for the idea

Some prescription meds come in bottles with two way caps. Attached one way you get the lovely childproof feature which is also arthritic hand proof. Rotated the other way it is a conventional screw on cap that is usually watertight. I use those for things like pen cleaning solutions, especially when a really stubborn nib/feed/section assembly needs rapido-eze in an ultrasonic. I emphasize usually and I am not sure I would use them to carry ink in my luggage but test the ones you have. You may be lucky. Nalgene bottles, when properly closed, NEVER leak.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Some prescription meds come in bottles with two way caps. Attached one way you get the lovely childproof feature which is also arthritic hand proof. Rotated the other way it is a conventional screw on cap that is usually watertight. I use those for things like pen cleaning solutions, especially when a really stubborn nib/feed/section assembly needs rapido-eze in an ultrasonic. I emphasize usually and I am not sure I would use them to carry ink in my luggage but test the ones you have. You may be lucky. Nalgene bottles, when properly closed, NEVER leak.

Thank you for the kind advice. The only medication bottles that I have are this kind with holes on the cap:

https://i0.wp.com/mypbrand.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cvs-health-scriptpath-prescription-bottle-system-media-gallery-pressrelease-image.png

I have tested it and it does not seem to be leak proof. It holds water better than I expected, but I would not trust it with ink.

I have the 1oz/2oz nalgene bottles en route, so hopefully these would do the trick.

I may also get me some of these 5ml-7ml sample bottles, however, for now at least, I do not have a use for these :D

Happy 4th y'all

Edited by salmasry

Uh. Nalgene! :rolleyes:

I would be interested to hear your take on them Nalgene bottles, or if you prefer other options :)