We Did An Evil Thing

sidthecat

I had to see a cardiologist yesterday - my ticker makes a noise - but one of the doctors assistants, a lady named Christine, was fascinated with the pen I was wearing (my gold Hicks ED ringtop) and when we got into the exam room, she confessed that she was interested in pens.

Well, they dont call me an enabler for nothing.

Oh! You must try this! I said, unscrewing the pen.

She did, and she started to giggle madly as she realized what that nib could do.

Then she described how unsatisfied she was with most pens, but she didnt think a fountain pen would work for her because of her heavy hand.

What you need to do is practice with a brush, I said...Like this one.

I drew out the brush pen that I also carry, and let her play with that. To her question of Where do you find these things? I told her about The Fountain Pen Network, the fount of all pen knowledge.

So treat her nice when she shows up.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidthecat

• Bo Bo Olson

• kestrel

• inkstainedruth

People like you are the reason there should be a big banner at the top of all FPN pages quoting Dante, "Abandon all hope ye who enter here."

I can't criticize you for it. I enable, too.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

You are, after all, a cat (n avatar). Good and evil all at once are what they do best. :)

X

Infect as many as you can! Spread the disease! lol

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hope your ticker's OK, had a gismo stuck up my arm and found out my arteries were just fine; a relief.

She needs to know about nails; stubs and CI as soon as possible. She at least knows she has a heavy hand, a huge advantage for noobies.

Even a Chinese nail will do...............

Look you have saved her liver from single malt fattening. :thumbup:

No woman wants to have a , fat, ....liver.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hope your ticker's OK, had a gismo stuck up my arm and found out my arteries were just fine; a relief.

She needs to know about nails; stubs and CI as soon as possible. She at least knows she has a heavy hand, a huge advantage for noobies.

Even a Chinese nail will do...............

Look you have saved her liver from single malt fattening. :thumbup:

No woman wants to have a , fat, ....liver.

Strange enough that you mentioned that... Fountain pens has literally cured my Single Malt obsession!

Ever since I started collecting pens, I kind of gave up on my single malt collection... Now I just buy to drink, and no interest to collect/ accumulate... lol

That said, fountain pens are proving to be more expensive than my whisk(e)ys...

They should vaccinate against me.

What would they use? A technical drawing pen?

What would they use? A technical drawing pen?

Japanese extra fine nib with Baystate Blue.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Delightful story, you have a good heart @sidethecat

Thank you for the recruitment efforts. :)

Would be a hoot, if Christine joined and read about her rites of passage right here on this very platform.

You are such an enabler! You DO realize that you have probably ruined her life, which could have been managed so nicely with a fine or medium nail nib, right? But NOOOOO -- you had to coax her over to the vintage flex side from the get go.....

Nice job! :thumbup:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

There are times when I feel like a drug pusher.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I'm down to couple shots of an old bottle of 16 year old Lagavulin (in Islay scotch needs practice and is nothing for 'noobies'), and a few very small bottles 20cl/6.7 oz, of Glenfiddich, 12, 15 & 18 year old I strive to find around Christmas, so I can teach an occasional home scotch course to selected young guys living in my apartment building occasionally. A gentleman knows his whiskey.

They come in a three pack, and what is best about it, is there is a sheet of paper telling what different tastes are expected in each different age of those single malts.

Then I go over to Johnny Walkers, red, black, and blue.....start with the blue, in by then the taste buds are fairly shot. Finish with Black.

Some 40 years ago, in a Consumer's Report blind test of scotch, Johnny Walker Red won.....so I've never looked down my nose at it.

Last week my computer guy was over fiddling with my printer, and I gave him some mystery scotch; from one of my decanters. Don't know what it was!!!! But it was good. :headsmack: :doh:

Some times one one needs a quite place to think to remember. Next time I see him I can tell him it was some of that 'cheap' 18 year old Blackstone single malt from Aldi, that I refined with a shot of sherry. That bottle had hung around for a few years, before being put in one of my decanters, with the enamel consents on a chain. Scotch, Brandy, Rum and so on.

Many to most good scotchs are refined either by being aged, or just finished in an old sherry keg or a bit of sherry is added.

The best scotch I ever had was Clevis 21 year old Royal Salute. The youngest whiskey in it was 21 years old. Comes in a small porcelain container......12 Oz? I've only had two bottles of it....they lasted three years like any of my good stuff.

Yes it is better than Walker Blue label.

I have had a bottle of very fine 18 year old Old Grouse and Teachers.....but pens prevented me from chasing more and older versions.

I'm no longer the single malt snob :happyberet:, as long as it's grand ancient scotch. Got to try a 25 year old Teachers some day.....

Sigh, got started into Gin.....in Germany makes the third best gin in the world, Monkey 47. It's much too flowery to make a martini. Having 47 different herbs, it is a sniffter gin. There are other fine 'German' gins too!!!!!!

Good flowery gins are showing up all over the place....and in the cheap Lidle and Aldi supermarkets too. Again a bit too flowery for a good martini, which I do make. Spent 8 years as a bartender. I worked at a NCO Club, and a number of customers would come to my bar, in on a Saturday we'd have 4 bars open and get their martini and a few other drinks from me instead of the bar near where they were sitting. That was before mixologist was used, just a good bartender was the term. I had the knack of making a frozen drink (frozen daiquiris, mai tais and such) that stood well up over the top of the rim of the glass.

Gordon's does well, in you are picking up the taste from the green pimento filled olive, or black olives with almond, or a lemon peel or a cocktail onion, then called a Gibson. Tanqueray, Beefeater, or Bombay Sapphire also make a good martini.

One has to save one's bottle of noilly prat vermouth from one's wife's chicken recipe using a full bottle of it.

The original martini recipe from 1895, was two thirds sweet Martini vermouth to 1/3 gin. :wacko: ....then in prohibition, the drier taste of noilly prat went well with bathtub gin. :thumbup: Prohibition was good for something afterall. There were a number of cocktails that came out of it.......(by the way, Hollywood westerns are wrong......in near a RR, in 1870-80's any good bar had ice and shaken cocktails. Somewhat sweeter than the modern taste.....but The Professor, the head bartender had his bar books....3 or 4 of them.) Ill paid cowboy rif raf....$20 dollars a month more than $30....couldn't afford to be in a good bar to start with. (Am writing a western.))

(No, no and never does a vodka martini taste as good as one's many choices of gin. That was only good for driving while drinking.....breath 'less'. )

The classic is 1/4shot of vermouth, then a dry martini is 1/8th to desert dry of two-three drops. Just enough to give one the noilly prat aroma mingling with taste of your olive/lemon peal.

You do have to stir the ice to dilute the drink down to 60 proof from 80 out the bottle.

A shaken martini is cloudy, and I'd grabbed Jimmy Bond by the scruff of his neck and shook him all the way to the door as I kicked him out......heresy, sacrilege!!! :gaah: Go to a low class bar offering only a single mix of sweet and sour. :bunny01: Of course one needs a bottle of sweet and a bottle of sour, how can I tailor a drink, a bit sweeter for a Lady, a bit sourer for a Gent.

Being a little bit lazy, & liking a very dry martini, I use to open a bottle of Gordon's, tossed a shot back, replaced the shot with a shot of noily prat and put it in the freezer. Then it was just add ice.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.