Inklings - Taccia Uguisi (Uguisu") - "Olive Green"

DrDebG

Taccia Uguisi

Review of a sample of Taccia Uguisi received from Vanness Pens. Taccia inks are "born in California", but manufactured in Japan.

Vanness calls the color "olive green". I am not sure that I would label the color that way. It is a balanced green with a strong blue component (see chromotography below). The ink is not strongly saturated but dark enough in fine nibs to be quite readable and much darker than Pilot Iroshizuku Chiku-rin.

The ink flows very nicely from the nib, and is lubricated in much the same way as Sailor inks. There is a very nice reddish-copper colored sheen to the ink on Tomoe River paper, which also shows up on the ink swab as well. The ink also shades moderately well especially in medium and wider nibs. The ink dries fairly quickly and is not water resistant. It does not bleed through or show through except on very cheap paper.

Uguisu_Bottle_1024x1024.JPG?v=1539903450

fpn_1561751065__taccia_uguisi_review_5x7

fpn_1561751076__taccia_uguisi_back_crop.

fpn_1561751098__taccia_uguisi_rhodia.jpg

fpn_1561751086__chromo_1_of_1_bright.jpg

fpn_1561750962__pilot_iroshizuku_chiku-r fpn_1561750982__taccia_uguisi_olive_gree fpn_1561750973__pilot_iroshizuku_shin-ry

Pros:

Excellent flow

Moderately lubricating

Minimal bleedthrough, showthrough, feathering

Fast Drying

Moderately saturated.

Moderate shading.

Some sheen.

Cons:

Not water resistant

Price: In the US: $12 for 40 ml at Vanness Pens, Anderson Pens, PenChalet

Overall:

An Excellent ink in terms of quality and price!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrDebG

• Intensity

• VivaTerlingua

• lgsoltek

Seeing the difference between the medium and stub nibs is interesting. Thanks for the review.

That's a nice looking green. It would be interesting to see a comparison to similar greens, such as Robert Oster Moss, before I spend money. But thanks for the review. and, well, not....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I keep thinking about this one, wondering if it’s close to my stockpiled Sailor Tokiwa Matsu. Wish it were just a bit more olive. Beautiful ink in its own right though.

Many thanks for the review!

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Seeing the difference between the medium and stub nibs is interesting. Thanks for the review.

Thank you for your comment. Yes, this is a lovely ink but quite readable in the fine nib. But I love it in the stub nib.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Hi,

great review of a nice ink!

Thanks

Jens

Thank you Jens!

I love this one! I think I'm getting a bottle!

I have to say that this is one of my favorites of the Taccias that I have tried. If it has been a yellow-y olive green I might not have liked it as much. But this is a great color. And, in the US, the price is terrific.

Where would one acquire a bottle of this in Europe?

Here is the Taccia listing of dealers: http://taccia.com/dealers/. The international dealers are at the end.

That's a nice looking green. It would be interesting to see a comparison to similar greens, such as Robert Oster Moss, before I spend money. But thanks for the review. and, well, not....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I wish I could help on this, but I just don't have very many greens in this shade.

I keep thinking about this one, wondering if it’s close to my stockpiled Sailor Tokiwa Matsu. Wish it were just a bit more olive. Beautiful ink in its own right though.

I don't have Sailor Tokiwa Matsu, but I believe that the Sailor ink is much more olive from the swab samples I have seen. Uguisi seems to tend more to the bluer side.

I don't have Sailor Tokiwa Matsu, but I believe that the Sailor ink is much more olive from the swab samples I have seen. Uguisi seems to tend more to the bluer side.

Hm it's the other way around for me, and my ink looks very much like your sample writing. It's an easily sheening ink with a copper glint, so there's a hue shift where the sheen begins. Thus there can be an impression of it being more olive in places, I suppose. But the base color is very similar to your photographs.

My earlier review of Tokiwa Matsu shows this behavior pretty well:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/329050-sailor-tokiwa-matsu-review-the-multi-hue-wonder/

Lxccklh.jpg

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Thank you, great review, interesting ink.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

IMO they aren't too terribly close to each other.

K2WFleQ.png

Thank you! That's super helpful! I can see that Taccia's version is lighter, but still too green for what I was hoping to get. I'm on a hunt for a perfect lighter olive green :)

@5Cavaliers : Thanks for the review!

@Intensity : I thought the first Sailor Shikiori ink against which to compare this would be wakauguisu and not 常盤松 tokiwamatsu.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

@Intensity : I thought the first Sailor Shikiori ink against which to compare this would be wakauguisu and not 常盤松 tokiwamatsu.

Even though the names are similar, I still think the base color of Taccia Uguisu is more similar to base color of Tokiwa Matsu. I have writings made with Tokiwa Matsu with certain pens that look extremely similar to the Taccia Uguisu sample writing here. That's why I brought it up.