Opus 88 Omar Clear Demonstrator: Quick Look

peroride

>Does this one also take several turns of the cap to open

About 2 and half, some folks don't like that :o

but I rather have more turns to deploy than nib dry out or the cap screwing off in my pocket :)

I forgot to mention, when changing nibs as @TheDutchGuy noted, twisting the nib unit is easy but some reviews say to retain the small o-ring that goes on the nib nipple and not lose it. I retain the o-ring in place and had no issues, but not sure if it makes any difference. :huh:

The other thing worth mentioning is on the flex nib with plastic JoWo feed, i sometimes get ink starvation -_- and have to use the piston rod to push ink from the primary chamber to the secondary and also leave the end cap a few millimeters open so the shut-off hole is open. The feed will flood and fill in the fins making it look solid on a side profile view, then I can close the hole knowing I have a few pages worth of writing. Of course, different inks may respond better with flow. :P

On the Regalia Sequel nib, flow is perfect :thumbup: and Ralph knows his stuff :notworthy1:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MuddyWaters

• peroride

• como

• Intensity

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

>Does this one also take several turns of the cap to open

About 2 and half, some folks don't like that :o

but I rather have more turns to deploy than nib dry out or the cap screwing off in my pocket :)

I forgot to mention, when changing nibs as @TheDutchGuy noted, twisting the nib unit is easy but some reviews say to retain the small o-ring that goes on the nib nipple and not lose it. I retain the o-ring in place and had no issues, but not sure if it makes any difference. :huh:

The other thing worth mentioning is on the flex nib with plastic JoWo feed, i sometimes get ink starvation -_- and have to use the piston rod to push ink from the primary chamber to the secondary and also leave the end cap a few millimeters open so the shut-off hole is open. The feed will flood and fill in the fins making it look solid on a side profile view, then I can close the hole knowing I have a few pages worth of writing. Of course, different inks may respond better with flow. :P

On the Regalia Sequel nib, flow is perfect :thumbup: and Ralph knows his stuff :notworthy1:

Just to let you know, they have done maki-e pens in the past. Papierundstift.de in Germany had some at one point: https://papierundstift.de/opus88-kamakura-bori?c=34 . No affiliation, they are just the only place I've seen them except for on Opus' Instagram.

• 4 weeks later...

We prefer the koloro instead of the omar; however, a black nib would be like the dude’s carpet that ties the room together in both!

I love the shut-off valve system on my Omar and the build quality is superb, but when I first opened the box I thought it was comically huge. Although I got used to it now, it can still feel somewhat unwieldy. Also because it takes nearly 3 turns to uncap it, it's not a pen I'd carry in my pocket for note-taking. Other than that, though, it feels very reliable and it's great for using with customised JOWO nibs.

Would y'all use a carbon or iron gall ink in these pens?

The only metal part that the ink comes into contact with is the steel nib. And that’s not an expensive nib and easily replaceable (in the extremely unlikely event that the ink would eat the nib for breakfast). Also, being an eyedropper, the pen is easy to clean. So in a nutshell, yes.

The only metal part that the ink comes into contact with is the steel nib. And thats not an expensive nib and easily replaceable (in the extremely unlikely event that the ink would eat the nib for breakfast). Also, being an eyedropper, the pen is easy to clean. So in a nutshell, yes.

But I wonder if having no piston or converter to push and pull ink through means the chances of stasis and caking of particles increases?

Here's another take from sgrebrown

https://youtu.be/nwIu5XhdkVM

I concur with @TheDutchGuy the pen is easy to clean and almost like Noodler's Boston Safety, I feel comfortable putting in a wider variety of inks than other pens.

To me that is the biggest advantage with Opus 88 eyedropper line.

As far as ink hygiene/safety maintenance:

(see pic) Left good, right bad. Or rather, unboxed better than boxed in non-political tone. :rolleyes:

The supersaturated sheeny shimmer glittertasic stuff is harder to clean and will get stuck between the housing and section. However cosmetic, it has no functional defect and as I've noted the piston rod can be deployed to prime the feed from the primary barrel chamber.

I'm really loving the vintage Waterman's as it feels like a cleaning solvent :thumbup: for the saturated ink that stained the barrel even after i scrunched in a rolled paper towel to scrap off the ink film.

I have a bad habit of using the eyedropper as an ink sample garbage collector, dumping in any old unfinished inks in there. :sick:

I've reformed my ways and now doing the mono pure stuff for a more pleasant writing experience. :)

fpn_1590983421__img_3667.jpg

But I wonder if having no piston or converter to push and pull ink through means the chances of stasis and caking of particles increases?

I wouldn’t worry. Just enjoy the pen. If that happens, you can clean it. The nib is screwed in, so you can access every part of the pen easily.

I wouldnt worry. Just enjoy the pen. If that happens, you can clean it. The nib is screwed in, so you can access every part of the pen easily.

You are totally right! I'm very drawn to these pens, even if they are costly. They offer something (essentials: ink capacity and great hand comfort) other brands do not.

The Omar seems to have a nice comfortable shape, and I'm attracted by the filling system. I'm not sure I like the clip so much (on any of the Opus 88 models...)

These pens come to mind everytime I see a particular model of SUV (sports utility vehicle) on the street with an analogous appearance. I will have to share the model when I can spot it.

• 8 months later...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_FJ_Cruiser

^^This is the car that makes me think of the Opus 88 Omar, or vice versa 😛

I've been writing with my Picnic a lot lately. I like the brand but find the section of the picnic tapers quite a bit. I'm thinking of getting an Omar. I have to say I don't find the Omar too visually appealing, but I don't mind sucking it up to get a comfortable pen. 

On 6/4/2020 at 7:27 PM, sansenri said:

The Omar seems to have a nice comfortable shape, and I'm attracted by the filling system. I'm not sure I like the clip so much (on any of the Opus 88 models...)

These pens offer a lot for the price. I would love to see a crystal clear demo version with titanium rod in the barrel, even if I have to pay double or a bit more.

58 minutes ago, como said:

... crystal clear demo version with titanium rod in the barrel, even if I have to pay double or a bit more.

Unless the company already utilises titanium rods in some of its other current products, I really cannot imagine it would tool up and start making compatible titanium rods to satisfy the demand for just one unit, even if you're prepared to pay fivefold the normal price.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

2 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Unless the company already utilises titanium rods in some of its other current products, I really cannot imagine it would tool up and start making compatible titanium rods to satisfy the demand for just one unit, even if you're prepared to pay fivefold the normal price.

😀To show our seriousness, we would have to at least try to do a group buy. Or I buy the demo and modify it myself. Polishing inner wall of barrel sounds like a good pastime...😏

I was looking at the Opus 88 pens. Seems like they are releasing new models quickly. There is the Jazz that also uses a #6 nib. I guess I am still attracted to the Omar but makes decisions harder when not able to test pens in hand. I may stick to the Picnic for now, cost saving.