Monteverde Garnet (With Itf), Handwritten Review

Enkida

I have a bunch of Monteverde inks purchased and as of yet untested, so on a whim I inked up my Pilot Kakuno with it. To my surprise, I actually got my Con-70 to fill up properly (this is only the second time I've ever used it)! I got so excited I wrote another 5 page review. I kept the scans messy because I didn't colour correct anything and I find leaving in the edges and bookmarks and stuff helps a little bit with the automatic colour correction.

There's no pictures at this time because I have no light! We will see what tomorrow brings to the potato camera. Which is not much because they said it's going to be 37 degrees Celcius. Yeah, maybe we can test if ink can melt under direct sunlight, or if notebooks can spontaneously combust. Or not. Anyway here it is, let me know if you have any questions or just want me to stop posting these, for the love of god, enkida, stop posting already nobody thinks it's funny except you

garnet-review1.jpg

garnet-review2.jpg

garnet-review3.jpg

garnet-review4.jpg

garnet-review5.jpg

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enkida

• lapis

• Gloucesterman

• DrDebG

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review! Handwritten stuff is always the best -- especially with sketches/drawings like these!! Not just typing and by no means simple splotches. As re the actual colour, it looks to me more like a pinky magenta than a "real" garnet. But then there are also dozens of rubies, sapphires, emeralds....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I get the feeling it might come out a bit darker in a wider nib, but I haven't tried it yet.

Also, your avatar makes me snicker snort. ;)

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Very nice review. I mean I like the color. Thanks for taking the time to hand write it so nicely. As for the possible spelling errors you can always proofread and mark over/correct them.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Excellent review! Thank you for taking the time to do this!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I've been looking up samples of this kind of color lately, and I usually write with EF nibs, so this review was very useful to me! I like the multiple handwritten pages to get a sense of what the color might look like in actual use. Plus, I love the little drawings!

Great review! Handwritten stuff is always the best -- especially with sketches/drawings like these!! Not just typing and by no means simple splotches. As re the actual colour, it looks to me more like a pinky magenta than a "real" garnet. But then there are also dozens of rubies, sapphires, emeralds....

I earned a PhD from the University of South Carolina, whose colors includes garnet. Monteverde's garnet is far more pink than the garnet I'm used to.

I come back bearing photos in direct afternoon sunlight, though I missed the first page I think:

garnet-review1p.jpg

garnet-review2p.jpg

garnet-review3p.jpg

garnet-review4p.jpg

garnet-review5p.jpg

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Fun review; thanks for your time putting it together!

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Great review, I especially like your examples of varied pressure. I have Yama budo already, so I am not interested in this ink, but I appreciate the effort and info.