• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LazyPen

• chravagni

• sansenri

• carlos.q

Thanks but I've already read that article.

An article that roughly nothing tell about the real quality of each model and only make general considerations about look and style.

It seems to be olny a brief introduction/presentation of this firm.

The brand doesn't exist anymore, but some pens are still available to buy.

The quality is quite good. In my opinion they are collectable rather than usable. I have a "ladybug" in silver which is wonderful and working, but too small to write more than some sentence.

So, in my opinion, I'd say yes if you aim to collect, but not if you are looking to something usable.

Giovanni Abrate of tryphon used to sell these pens. Maybe he has some still leftover? Might be worth contacting him if you are interested in Filcao.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I don't know how to contact him... I'd only like to know which are the most interesting model producted by this brand.

The Atlantica is no doubt a lovely pen, unfortunately there were only a few other Filcao that made the same grade.

The Filcao verde screziato, similar to the one purchased by LazyPen, is not a bad pen on the whole, although it feels rather similar to a Chinese pen.

It's made of brass mostly, has an external finish which is marbled but it's clearly painted, and lacquered, the nib is stiff and smooth, the pen is rather heavy, although balanced.

Reminds me of some Jinhaos (X750, X500).

I consider the asking price of 25 euro as somewhat expensive for what it is (I got mine for free from a seller who sent is as a gift, together with a purchase of much higher value), but can be a rather reliable pen. The nib is quite good actually (if you don't mind the stiffness).

fpn_1561574025__p1160545-3_filcao_verde_

fpn_1561579837__p1160542-3_filcao_verde_

Edited by sansenri

In my experience with several different Filcao pens, you will not find a bad one. The build quality and materials are excellent, and the nibs are very pleasant. They are definitely modern pens: large, often heavy, and with very smooth, quite still nibs. They don't pretend to be anything else. But if you enjoy such pens, as I often do, they are wonderful writers. There is also an interesting back story about Giovanni, Tryphon, and Filcao and its owner, if you can seek it out. They seem to be delightful people and real enthusiasts, working at a time when it was an undertaking to keep the Italian pen tradition alive.

ron

Considering I've paid it 12 euro... it couldn't be a bad choice.

If not useful for everyday usage... I'll keep it for "collection".

And I'll be glad to have a made in italy "vintage" pen. :)

Atlantica was completely on another budget.

Impossibile to make a "comparison"...

However this Leader seems not so bad, considering I've paid for it 12 euro.

Do You know if it is realized in celluloid ?

The Atlantica is no doubt a lovely pen, unfortunately there were only a few other Filcao that made the same grade.

The Filcao verde screziato, similar to the one purchased by LazyPen, is not a bad pen on the whole, although it feels rather similar to a Chinese pen.

It's made of brass mostly, has an external finish which is marbled but it's clearly painted, and lacquered, the nib is stiff and smooth, the pen is rather heavy, although balanced.

Reminds me of some Jinhaos (X750, X500).

I consider the asking price of 25 euro as somewhat expensive for what it is (I got mine for free from a seller who sent is as a gift, together with a purchase of much higher value), but can be a rather reliable pen. The nib is quite good actually (if you don't mind the stiffness).

I agree that for 12 euro it's an interesting pen,at 25 (requested by the seller you indicated) it's slightly overpriced.

Certainly it's not celluloid (if you mean the verde screziato I was showing above, yours looks similar, I was not aware the name of this model is Leader, so thanks).

The celluloid pens are the ones shown in the Petrace article as mentioned by Carlos, they seem to be the same model, but materials used are clearly different

http://www.newpentrace.net/article082901112.html

At any rate it is a usable pen, the nib is quite good, I use it as a spare in the office.