Newbie Collector - Hello!

CraigBo

Gday friends! Im Craig from Australia and am brand new to collecting Esties.

I have a collection of about 11 nice fountain pens already, and a few in the beginner range like Safaris and Twisbys and Platinum 3776 centuries and a few nicer Mont Bs etc. But I recently came across my first Estie J and, well, you all know how it is.

So Ive kicked off by ordering 4 nicely restored ones on eBay just to get things started. But Im paying about $45 a pen plus postage to Australia so its not super sustainable for me at that rate what with our terrible exchange rate at the moment - and to think a few years ago we had parity with the greenback.

Anyway does anyone here know of good reliable ways to find Estie Js that need a bit of TLC in a cheaper price bracket? I think I would really enjoy restoring these pens. What tips and tricks do you all use? Im not sure how deeply they penetrated the Australian market but will keep an eye out in second hand stores and the likes for sure.

Also if anyone has a handful of these sitting around gathering dust please feel free to hit me up.

Thank you all for this forum. Its been a delight to read and learn so much from already. Ive been lurking a while.

Peace, all!

Craig.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CraigBo

• Tom Heath

• corgicoupe

• AAAndrew

Check with GaryWeimer on this forum.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Check with GaryWeimer on this forum.

Thanks for the tip Corgicoupe. When I search for that username, the search says there is no member by that name.

Actually when I do a member search for corgicoupe nothing comes up either. I can't upload a profile pic or do other things (like lick on your profile pic anywhere to be able to PM you) so there may be some issues with my account.

Edited by CraigBo

Welcome to the Esterbrook slope, constantly slippery since 1858! (or 1861, or 1931, or whenever they started making what you like). Esties are dangerous. Like many desirable things, once you start, it's awfully hard to stop.

Good luck finding ones for repair.

And don't forget to come back once you discover Esterbrook fountain pen desk sets

fpn_1561661497__redset1.jpg

Or Esterbrook Dipless Desk sets.

fpn_1561661675__desk_set_collection.jpg

Or, if you get really hard-core, you go right to the Old School...

fpn_1561661761__esterbrook_sales_sample_

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Hi, and welcome to the dark side. Yeah, I have a few (boxes) of Esterbrooks sitting around that need attention. Not all are nice, but would make for nice practice pens. Send me a message, and we can go from there, if you are interested.

Thank you again corgicoupe for the amazing suggestion and thank you so much gweimer1 for getting in touch. Ive pmd you. Im so incredibly excited to have made the connection.

And AAAmdrew - is that collection of desk sets yours? They are beautiful!!! Im imagining them sitting on some MADmen style desk in the 50s and together what a striking set!

Oh man that non collection is making my eye twitch already wanting to find the missing ones. Thanks so much for sharing those! Imagine the museum this group could collectively put together if it wanted to!

We welcome the the Estie World.

I've been at this for about 30 years..

My kids have just told me please sell off your pens , we have enough going on, we do not want to bother with them when you have gone on to the Pen Heaven.

With that realization I certainly could help a newby such as yourself.

My Esties are well into the hundreds at this point Early on I did buy anything Estie and have most but not all reconditioned and still many as found.

Yes I have Dollar pens, Pastels, Purse Pens Desk pens, J.SJ, LJ Nurse Pens Doctor Pens Safari, Piston Fillers, pen parts,

all are affordable

Answers for questions, repair or where to find 'em email me I am always willing to help fellow penners.

Reply this board or Penfancier1@aol.com

I have over the years send quite a few pens , " Down Under"

Tom Heath

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

• 2 months later...

Craig

Sorry to report I am just now viewing your message

Please do PM me or send to : Penfancier1@aol.co,

Yesterday I got a rare parts find basically about 60 pieces of harvested pen jewels even a couple of Pastels

I look forward to hearing from you

Tom

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

• 2 months later...

eBay prices appear to go up and down, and not sure why. It's taken some discipline not to over pay.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"