A Blue Lamy 2000 Coming

Nerdyhistorian

the difference should fade as the pen becomes worn.

And what makes you believe this?

Why wouldn't it get worse?

I quite like this. Its a visible part of the manufacturing process.

It looks like a defect to me and is the first thing I look for when I see photos of the pen now.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• Glenn-SC

• Calabria

• shoryupen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like a defect to me and is the first thing I look for when I see photos of the pen now.

If every unit of the Lamy 2000 Bauhaus has a lighter-coloured cap finial, then irrespective of whether you think it's pleasing or displeasing aesthetically, you still couldn't reasonably call it a defect, could you?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

For those in Australia, you can still get one through Pulp Addiction. While I like the colour of the L2000 Bauhaus, I can't bring myself to part with two and a half times what it would cost to purchase the standard Makrolon L2000 version. To me, that's over the top.

If every unit of the Lamy 2000 Bauhaus has a lighter-coloured cap finial, then irrespective of whether you think it's pleasing or displeasing aesthetically, you still couldn't reasonably call it a defect, could you?

Yes you can, if the intent was not to have a two toned caps.

A poor material or manufacturing choice on an entire product line doesn't make it not a defect.

They just messed up all of the pens.

The normal black Macrolon doesn't have this issue,

Yes you can, if the intent was not to have a two toned caps.

A poor material or manufacturing choice on an entire product line doesn't make it not a defect.

The consumer has no say over the design intent, and in most cases would not be privy to it. My point is the consumer's "viewpoint" and feelings towards something observed is not a valid basis of determining whether something is a defect or not (which is a Boolean thing; it either is or isn't).

If you don't like something, then you simply don't like it and of course it's your prerogative to not buy it, or even call it inferior in your personal assessment. But that doesn't make it a defect, any more than a nib that writes too dryly (but still leaves a consistent line of ink), or too broadly (for my tastes) at 0.45mm for an EF nib, an actual defect.

For those in Australia, you can still get one through Pulp Addiction.

Not any more.

I thought Milligram was going to sell some units of the Lamy 2000 Bauhaus, on the basis that it issued a site-wide discount code (for filling out a survey questionnaire) which has a specific condition of not being applicable to that pen, but I was never notified that it received any in stock even though I'm on its marketing mailing list.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I hadnt noticed this on mine - it does look a bit different but I think its the way its been brushed rather than actually being a distinctly different colour? If you look at the polished end of the cap its dark, and closer to the barrel colour.

Let me have a look again properly this time. I have not yet manage to play with it. It does make sense as being brush rather than intentionally putting a different color.

No doubt these photos will add fuel to the fire (not sure to whose fire yet, but we'll see), but my L2K Bauhaus doesn't exhibit the different coloration that Glenn-SC is apparently so concerned about. I'm sure they exhibit some other imperfection which will result in pages of similar concern.

A tip: my sources tell me that one of the last steps in the Lamy 2000 assembly process involves humans smearing/massaging the pen bodies with a little (non-perfumed) hand cream. I've heard similar about the lava bodies of Visconti's pens. I put my black L2K into an ultrasonic cleaner at some point and it came out rather pale-looking. I tried the above tip and now it's back to its dark old self. So if Glenn's got you obsessing about your finial, put a little Eucerin on your hands and rub the lighter parts a bit, it might help.

And honestly, if you're not into the pen (for aesthetic, financial, political, etc. reasons), that's all you need to say and let those who are into the pen enjoy it in peace. There are no bonus points for having the last word.

post-146959-0-55440200-1570526190_thumb.jpg
post-146959-0-39086200-1570526207_thumb.jpg
Edited by sockmonkey

The cap on my Lamy 2000 Bauhaus is shining while the body is usual. I think it is quite nice and I really like the colors.

The thing that bothers me the most about (all) the Lamy 2K models is that really rough engraving of the word "LAMY" on the side of the clip.

For a pen so refined to have that thing as an engraving is out of the place.

Just giving a little rant, still love the L2K though in general

Funny, that's one of my favorite details, the "old-fashioned", brutal and very discreet stamping on the side, rather than the (for me) totally over-the-top size (big!) and appearance (noticable! "slick"!) of the logo on some of their other pens.

The thing that bothers me the most about (all) the Lamy 2K models is that really rough engraving of the word "LAMY" on the side of the clip.

For a pen so refined to have that thing as an engraving is out of the place.

Whereas I personally think the design of the Lamy 2000, just like the Lamy CP1, does not convey refinement, 'taste' or sophistication, but look stark and industrial (in a good, all-business way), and the block metal clip with corners not rounded off deserves a deeply engraved brand name or logo, small in size but with nothing subtle about it, in contrast to shallow laser etching or low-relief embossing (or debossing).

It is very much subjective, for me that simplistic yet professional design just embodies refinement.

Then to have a very rough engraving besides something so sleek is just so strange to me.

Sockmonkey - thank you for clarifying. My pen definitely had a greased look when it arrived, like waxed leather. With use, all that evens out (from hand oils I guess.)

Im surprised at all the emotions on this thread regarding this pen. Its such a low-key, understated, functional object, it hardly warrants getting all excited about it. Its well-made, has a good nib, and is decently priced. You pay extra for the not-so-fancy color, or you just leave it.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Im surprised at all the emotions on this thread regarding this pen. Its such a low-key, understated, functional object, it hardly warrants getting all excited about it. Its well-made, has a good nib, and is decently priced. You pay extra for the not-so-fancy color, or you just leave it.

I guess it takes strong emotions to motivate someone to shell out three times the price for a limited edition that is functionally identical to the basic model. :) What I personally don't understand are the strong emotions that make someone decry the pricing of the Lamy 2000 Bauhaus LE — which, as you pointed out, they can just "leave it" and not buy, if they want the uncommon colour (for aesthetic preference, or variety, or perhaps prestige) but not badly enough to pay a "stupid" price — or insist vehemently that the model is flawed and/or substandard for the price, when they haven't actually bought one of the 1919 units which were largely sold out almost as soon as they were released for sale. What's with all the misgivings?

I don't think anyone is arguably smarter, or on the flip side stupider, than anyone else here just for either deciding to buy one or electing not to. Any regret — from feeling it wasn't money well spent, or from "missing out" either because there weren't more units available for sale or because the price wasn't more agreeable to oneself — is personal sentiment, and not a reflection of some standard or ideal held by the fountain pen hobbyist community at large that Lamy has failed to duly meet or uphold, so I don't see why one has to respond to his/her own regret with externally directed anger or disdain as if it's a way to assuage that feeling.

Looking at the Sold item listings, it seems they're going for US$600 or thereabouts. Not a bad margin if the sellers originally bought from Fontoplumo at €318.

Or maybe 1234/1919 might fetch a higher price. Or perhaps 0333, 0888, etc. from Chinese buyers.

Im not selling mine. But just wondering. Haha. Yeah, a beautiful sequence definitely will fetch higher price. My suspect is the single digit fetch the highest just like number plate bidding in Malaysia. Well , i hope somebody score this as for me the current list is good price.