Vanishing Point Nib Width

kikopens

I want to get myself my first Vanishing Point. I have read threads about Vanishing Point nib widths running a size wider than other Pilot models. I saw Goulet nib nook but it seems I cant benchmark the nib width. I can't decide whether I should go for a Medium or a Broad. I would like to use it for daily purposes.

The only Japanese Medium I own is a Plaisir and a Preppy medium. Can anyone show a written sample of a Vanishing Point Broad compared to a Preppy or some other nib width?

Edited by Arijitdutta

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• kikopens

• A Smug Dill

• sirgilbert357

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go to the nib nook under the resources tab at gouletpens.com

You can compare those exact nibs and writing samples there.

Go to the nib nook under the resources tab at gouletpens.com

You can compare those exact nibs and writing samples there.

^^ thats the very problem I mentioned

I want to get myself my first Vanishing Point. I have read threads about Vanishing Point nib widths running a size wider than other Pilot models.

In my experience this is true (I've had three VP/Decimo nibs through my hands, so small sample size, but still).

I've also had a couple of Metropolitans in medium and 78g variants through my hands and those nibs are a size smaller than my Decimo medium (*cough* which is for sale *cough*).

Can you try the medium & broad at a local pen show or something first?

I want to get myself my first Vanishing Point. I have read threads about Vanishing Point nib widths running a size wider than other Pilot models. I saw Goulet nib nook but it seems I cant benchmark the nib width. I can't decide whether I should go for a Medium or a Broad. I would like to use it for daily purposes.

Last fall, I did some tests using the four Vanishing Point nib units I have (FYI: two of them are old enough to be 14K, while the other two are 18K). I dipped the units into a bottle of Parker Quink Black as I didn't want to go through the hassle of fully flushing them later. The paper was a Levenger Pocket Notes card. I made cross hatch markings, and measured them using an Edmund 6X optical comparator.

F14K 0.2x0.2mm

M18K 0.4x0.4mm

B14K 0.6x0.4mm (broad on downstroke, medium on cross stroke)

S18K 0.6x0.2mm (this is a stub nib: broad downstroke, fine cross-stroke)

Last fall, I did some tests using the four Vanishing Point nib units I have (FYI: two of them are old enough to be 14K, while the other two are 18K). I dipped the units into a bottle of Parker Quink Black as I didn't want to go through the hassle of fully flushing them later. The paper was a Levenger Pocket Notes card. I made cross hatch markings, and measured them using an Edmund 6X optical comparator.

F14K 0.2x0.2mm

M18K 0.4x0.4mm

This is great info. Thanks!

my VP fine is exactly the same as my other pilot fines.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I saw Goulet nib nook but it seems I cant benchmark the nib width. I can't decide whether I should go for a Medium or a Broad.

The only Japanese Medium I own is a Plaisir and a Preppy medium. Can anyone show a written sample of a Vanishing Point Broad compared to a Preppy or some other nib width?

Sorry, I don't understand then.

TSherbs, me neither.

fpn_1560827108__pilot_capless_b_nib_vs_v

Source: Goulet Pens

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

F14K 0.2x0.2mm

M18K 0.4x0.4mm

Thats very very informative. That means the Pilot VP broad is one step bigger than the Preppy 0.5. I heard they are quite wet too. Do you think the broad is okay for everyday writing given that I don't have good quality papers all the time? (office works, casual writing, etc)

Edited by Arijitdutta

That means the Pilot VP broad is one step bigger than the Preppy 0.5.

Could you really not see that from Goulet Pens' Nib Nook comparison (screenshot shown above)?

I heard they are quite wet too.

It depends (also) on the ink and paper used.

Do you think the broad is okay for everyday writing given that I don't have good quality papers all the time? (office works, casual writing, etc)

No regular (i.e. unmodified and not somehow defective/irregular) Broad nib is OK for that purpose, as far as I'm concerned.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Could you really not see that from Goulet Pens' Nib Nook comparison (screenshot shown above)?

I have 3 Preppy Mediums and all of them write a lot lot broader than what is in the Nib Nook whereas my EF matches.(on a Rhodia dotpad). That is why asked for a bit of help.

Thanks for the help though!

Edited by Arijitdutta

I have 3 Preppy Mediums and all of them write a lot lot broader than what is in the Nib Nook whereas my EF matches.(on a Rhodia dotpad).

Were you using Noodler's Black ink, which Goulet stated is what it used as its standard or reference ink for the Nib Nook writing samples, in any of your 05-nibbed Platinum Preppy pens?

Very limited experience here, but I find my Decimo M to be quite wide. Wider than any other, but one, medium nib I have.

Using Iro Yama-budo.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

Hi

I have two medium VP's and I've found both of them to be great pens to write with but the nibs are finer than the Medium I have in my Pilot 823, 92 and 74; if I buy another at any point it will be a broad nib.

This is pure speculation but as the VP nib and feed is physically a lot smaller than the nibs in my other Pilot pens this may lead to a less generous ink flow and consequently the appearance of finer text etc.

My nearest point of comparison is the nib and feed in my Platinum Carbon Desk Pen also a Medium but with a definite leaning towards fine.

Hope this helps

Al

No regular (i.e. unmodified and not somehow defective/irregular) Broad nib is OK for that purpose, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree, unless you have extra large handwriting and don't care about spacing on a page.

I guess suitability is a subjective term. I use Broad to 3B nibs on a daily basis here at work. I currently have a MB149 O3B inked and on my notebook for this mornings meetings. I have two VPs both are stubs and I find them just fine for everyday.

Thats very very informative. That means the Pilot VP broad is one step bigger than the Preppy 0.5. I heard they are quite wet too. Do you think the broad is okay for everyday writing given that I don't have good quality papers all the time? (office works, casual writing, etc)

My preference is to use the broads (of any brand) as "signature" pens -- mostly to sign checks (so they tend to last a long time on a fill, as I don't write that many checks these days).

I guess suitability is a subjective term.

I would agree.

My Decimo (same nib as the VP for those that aren't aware) is a medium and I've always found it to be just too narrow of a line for my liking. I might like a Broad VP nib, but I've just never tried one.

What you write, how you write it and how large you write are all factors that one must consider when choosing a nib...the ink and paper can play a role too.