Vanishing Point Mechanism Longivity

kikopens

How long does the mechanism on the Vanishing point last with normal daily usage? Has anyone faced any issues with it?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• Gsak

• BaronWulfraed

• kikopens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was asking this cause there are no Pilot services available in India. If it fails, its pretty much the bin. I don't think many pen repairers in India can repair a VP

The VP/Capless has been in production for over 40 years if I'm not mistaken. It's not changed much in that time and is about as reliable pens come. I would just buy from a reputable seller to ensure you have a warranty. If there are any issues initially, you want to be able to return it for a refund...

Edit: also, why couldn't you just mail it to Pilot for warranty service/repair?

Edited by sirgilbert357

Edit: also, why couldn't you just mail it to Pilot for warranty service/repair?

This.

Also - very durable. Probably nothing to worry about. It's a couple of pieces of plastic that rotate against each other, and a couple of springs. Sure, you could lose the springs, but don't do that. :) Your pen will be fine.

Here's a fun video showing the guts of clicks-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhVw-MHGv4s

We Give Away Scholarships! - Support High School Students Going to College

I will say that the black PVD of the pusher on my gunmetal VP is starting to show scoring from use and I don't use mine anywhere near every day.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

I used a VP every day at work for several years, opening and closing it frequently as I took notes in meetings. I never saw any sign of wear or felt the mechanism loosening up at all.

ron

I will say that the black PVD of the pusher on my gunmetal VP is starting to show scoring from use and I don't use mine anywhere near every day.

Surface wear is inevitable with PVD. There is no coating that can be applied to a metal that will NOT show wear over time when two pieces of metal rub together like that. This is different than the click mechanism failing to deploy the nib altogether though.

Edited by sirgilbert357

I have had Pilot VPs for well over 15 years and have never had problem with a mechanism. They have worked well opening and closing with no signs of wear yet. I have noticed that in my oldest VP, the gold fitting near the plunger is loose, but this hasn't affected the use of the pen.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I have a faceted stealth Namiki Vanishing Point from 1998 (21 years now) and the mechanism has always worked perfectly. I use it daily, and the clicker shows the appropriate "brassing" which I embrace as war wounds we have gone through together.

post-87026-0-76555700-1560275396_thumb.jpg

Edited by Orthostylos

Surface wear is inevitable with PVD. There is no coating that can be applied to a metal that will NOT show wear over time when two pieces of metal rub together like that. This is different than the click mechanism failing to deploy the nib altogether though.

Yeah, I know it's going to happen but you'd think they could design a plastic piece in there for the plunger to slide in that would reduce the wear...

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

Yeah, I know it's going to happen but you'd think they could design a plastic piece in there for the plunger to slide in that would reduce the wear...

Since most of the other versions of this pen don't suffer from the same wear, designing it differently just for the matte black version would have added to production costs and likely required additional spare parts to be kept on hand solely for the matte black version. It was probably just not cost effective...

Let's take your statement of, "they could..." at face value, and accept that the manufacturer has the capability to do so. Why would it, then? Would it significantly increase demand and/or sales of that model of pen? Has it been enough of a deterrent to stop those who like the look of the model from buying it in the first place, with possibly a very small proportion being dissatisfied with the worn-out or 'distressed' look after several years of frequent use, and then a subset again of those pen owners may opt to buy a brand new replacement (as I've also entertained)?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

And since one is discussing something to reduce wear on the shaft of the button, that means the new part has to be sacrificial -- that is, it will wear faster than the finish of the button. That leads to the possibility of an increasingly wobbly button as even a "low friction bushing" slowly enlarges.

And since one is discussing something to reduce wear on the shaft of the button, that means the new part has to be sacrificial -- that is, it will wear faster than the finish of the button. That leads to the possibility of an increasingly wobbly button as even a "low friction bushing" slowly enlarges.

I honestly don't know if PVD would stand up to repeated friction against even a plastic ring or something. If I had to bet on it, I'd say it would still end up showing wear, maybe just not quite as fast. I think Pilot knows these matte black versions take on a sort of patina and they have zero motivation to change the design to avoid it. Lots of people like the look of patina - and not just with their pens...

I think Pilot knows these matte black versions take on a sort of patina and they have zero motivation to change the design to avoid it. Lots of people like the look of patina - and not just with their pens...

Transient and imperfect.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I was thinking teflon, not just plain nylon -- but in either case, one is talking about a design change to add an additional point of failure, an additional step in assembly, etc.

Here's a photo (from last October) of my matte black Pilot Capless Vanishing Point pen, which served for a few years as close to an 'everyday carry' pen as I have in my collection. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/340038-looking-for-a-very-robust-pen/?p=4117769

There's no wear or scoring on the surface of the push- (or 'knock', as Pilot seems to call it) button that I can see on it. On that basis, I certainly don't consider the absence of something to protect the finish of any part of the pen, including the push-button aesthetically to be a design shortcoming or undesirable omission in its manufacture.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I have a Vanishing POint that was bought around 2003 or so. It has been used every single day since. It seems to be just fine. You know, it is not some poorly manufactured desi pen. You need not worry about the mechanism of a Vanishing Point failing.