Unusual Parker 51 Clip?

jaytaylor

Notice anything odd about this clip?

Would this be some sort of rare factory error?

1060614095.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn-SC

• PaulS

• Bill Nick

• jaytaylor

If it was a coin a miss stamp like that would make it worth a fortune

Unfortunately for the owner, its not a coin :)

thinking out loud here .................. the books says ..... "All caps with a Blue Diamond clip never had the Parker imprint marked on them"

So is this simply a case of a cap sporting the wrong clip? If this is true of this cap, then more likely the work of a former owner rather than the factory.

It appears there has been some damage to the blue paint within the diamond.

Edited by PaulS

Damage to the blue enamel is not unusual.

And whether the clip is original to the cap or not, it is mis-stamped, which would surely be the effort of Parker.

Or are you suggesting that the owner was making their own clips?

yes …………………….. I see him sitting cross-legged in the dim light of a small garden workshop - in front of him dies and an anvil, and the sound of tapping is carried on the warm air, as he hammers day and night to produce these highly original but malformed clips - nearby is his illicit still with many uncorked bottles waiting to be filled, and smoke from a green wood fire wisps high into the quiet night air It's for the reason of the close proximity of the hooch that his sight is failing, and each hammer blow is a tad off, causing the effect we now see on the clip

What it appears that you've mis-understood is that my comment about mis-matched clip and cap referred solely to the fact that this wrong pairing would have been the handiwork of a previous owner, rather than the factory. I think the rest of us already knew the factory also made clips. :)

I think the rest of us already knew the factory also made clips. :)

May I suggest that this statement be rewritten as: "I think the rest of us already knew only the factory made clips."

Since the subject of this thread is "Unusual Parker 51 Clip?", the existence of a normal Blue Diamond clip on a "Parker" marked cap would not be considered "unusual", just incorrect.

So, the clip is mis-stamped and was placed on a later cap.

I don’t see how the clip could be stamped wrong. The die is one piece so the name and diamond do not change positions.

I first thought wrong clip on the cap and possibly a punched diamond clip.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Glenn - you can have whatever you like. :) Please don't misunderstand me - I defer to your knowledge of all matters Parker - I was simply drawing attention to what I believed to be a mis-pairing of clip and cap.

thinking out loud here .................. the books says ..... "All caps with a Blue Diamond clip never had the Parker imprint marked on them"

So is this simply a case of a cap sporting the wrong clip? If this is true of this cap, then more likely the work of a former owner rather than the factory.

It appears there has been some damage to the blue paint within the diamond."

"All caps with a Blue Diamond clip never had the Parker imprint marked on them"

I don't understand that, which books say that, Paul? I've got two blue diamond vac 51s and they both have "PARKER" on the clip under the diamond as do all the others I'm looking at. Same as the original non-51 Vacumatics.

Edited by BillNick

Bill - my one and only book for 51 reference is David and Mark Shepherd's volume - their comment appears two thirds down on p. 89 - toward the right side of the page.

"All caps with a Blue Diamond clip never had the Parker imprint marked on them"

I don't understand that, which books say that, Paul? I've got two blue diamond vac 51s and they both have "PARKER" on the clip under the diamond as do all the others I'm looking at. Same as the original non-51 Vacumatics.

The caps with a blue diamond clip do not have the "Parker" imprint on the cap itself, because the imprint was on the clip.

The caps with the non-blue diamond clips are stamped "Parker" on the cap near the opening.

At least this holds true for every "51" cap that I have.

Bill - my one and only book for 51 reference is David and Mark Shepherd's volume - their comment appears two thirds down on p. 89 - toward the right side of the page.

The caps with a blue diamond clip do not have the "Parker" imprint on the cap itself, because the imprint was on the clip.

The caps with the non-blue diamond clips are stamped "Parker" on the cap near the opening.

At least this holds true for every "51" cap that I have.

There's obviously some lack of clarity here; the OP's thread was only about the clip, he made no mention of anything else and it was on that basis that I asked my question and I assumed, wrongly, that you made your statement on that basis also. I thought that you were meaning that 'the books' stated that blue diamond clips never had the PARKER insignia. Issue sorted...from my point of view, anyway!

Thanks.

Thanks, Paul, I now know what was being said!

There's obviously some lack of clarity here; the OP's thread was only about the clip, he made no mention of anything else and it was on that basis that I asked my question and I assumed, wrongly, that you made your statement on that basis also. I thought that you were meaning that 'the books' stated that blue diamond clips never had the PARKER insignia. Issue sorted...from my point of view, anyway!

Thanks.

Indeed, my inquiry is regarding the clip only, clearly this is a frankenpen in that the clip is earlier than the rest of the England made 51. The clip is an oddity and as previously noted an unlikely error as the die has fixed features making this an impossible error but there it is. I won the auction out of curiosity and will clean the clip and post better pics of the clip and the reverse of the clip assuming it is die struck.