penzel_washinkton

102 members have voted

1. 1. KoP vs Custom Urushi vs Nakaya vs Izumo

• Sailor King of Pen
    • Pilot Custom Urushi / 845
    • Nakaya
    • Platinum Izumo
    • Others

For Hakase, it's not a case of "stretching" your budget but rather obliterating it. They start at double, and you wouldn't want that one.

I will also add that I wouldn't allow the converter issue sway you too much. Yes, Sailor converters have limited capacity, and Platinum converters tend to die, but they're dirt-cheap ($5-15) and easy to source. With Pilot/Namiki (and Hakase too) you get the biggest capacity and the largest range of converters, but some people absolutely detest the CON-70. I personally think it's by far the best converter out there...

Basically, YMMV.

(Striking through Hakase off the list) ...but I'm still going to see it in person if possible.

Yeah, it's just a little bit of a rant from me personally. I have used the CON-70 and as usual, I find that cleaning the back part of the converter not enjoyable.

Of you are opening up to the Yukari Royale I personally would put that first in your list. I found it a great fit in the hand and very well made.

I agree Hakase are out of budget really, bit Ohashido could work well. Probably a bit smaller than you might want.

Yes, still keeping the Yukari Royale in my options since it is not way off my budget.

Jas anyone mentioned Stylo Art Kariizawa as an option? They have some nice options in your range with Pilot nibs.

Actually no, another one in the list I guess if I happen to stumble across one. Thanks!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• samasry

• mongrelnomad

• zaddick

• penzel_washinkton

> Yes, still keeping the Yukari Royale in my options since it is not way off my budget.

Be careful, you might be disappointed after buying the Yukari because the Namiki Emperor Urushi Black/Vermilion is not much more expensive (in Japan). It is only about 2-30000 Yen difference.

Have a look at both before you decide.

> Yes, still keeping the Yukari Royale in my options since it is not way off my budget.

Be careful, you might be disappointed after buying the Yukari because the Namiki Emperor Urushi Black/Vermilion is not much more expensive (in Japan). It is only about 2-30000 Yen difference.

Have a look at both before you decide.

I have both. The Emperor is made from ebonite and urushi, and has a Japanese eyedropper mechanism (with a cut-off mechanism). The problem is its size - it's a giant dwarfing other giants, and functions better as a statement than as a pen.

Good idea to see them both.

Too many pens; too little writing.

> it's a giant dwarfing other giants,

Great, that seems to be the pen made for me.

Edited by mke

> it's a giant dwarfing other giants,

Great, that seems to be the pen made for me.

lol

I think it's inevitable , if there is a Yukari Royale then the Emperor must be nearby.

Oh and pretty sure that the sales guy / girl will offer me more expensive stuff than the one I am viewing.

I think it's inevitable , if there is a Yukari Royale then the Emperor must be nearby.

Oh and pretty sure that the sales guy / girl will offer me more expensive stuff than the one I am viewing.

Not in Japan they won't.

So they would let me mind my own business in the shop unless I enquire?

That seems like a conducive shopping environment for me

Totally. There is no hard-sell in Japan (often no sell at all), just incredibly helpful assistants should they be required.

Some size comparisons that might help:

Nippon Art, 845, Nakaya Portable, Neo-Standard, Izumo:

http://www.fototime.com/3EAE0D1A05ADE94/standard.jpg

Izumo, KoP, Portable, Danitrio Takumi, Pilot Custom 743:

http://www.fototime.com/3C65A9D236DCDD8/standard.jpg

My Website

I don’t own any of these, but the Izumo is my grail pen. Maybe someday...

Yet another Sarah.

Hi jar,

Can you please take those pictures with the caps off?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Honestly, since Urushi is not a factor for you, get the KOP. With all of the other pens you are primarily paying for Urushi - with KOP you are paying for a special nib. I wouldnt touch the Izumo in your case (its all Urushi, limited nib). Pilot Custom Urushi is a decent option. The Nakayas will be the most aesthetically special, but it doesnt sound like thats what you are after.

With all of the other pens you are primarily paying for Urushi - with KOP you are paying for a special nib.

What's special about any of those nibs, pray tell, other than being physically large? None of them are, say, Naginata nibs. A 'large-sized' 21K gold Naginata Concord Emperor nib that fits a Sailor Profit21 (aka 1911 Large) body would be more special than any Pilot #30 Medium nib or Sailor 'extra large' 1911-imprint Medium nib (to fit a KOP pen).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Honestly, since Urushi is not a factor for you, get the KOP. With all of the other pens you are primarily paying for Urushi - with KOP you are paying for a special nib. I wouldnt touch the Izumo in your case (its all Urushi, limited nib). Pilot Custom Urushi is a decent option. The Nakayas will be the most aesthetically special, but it doesnt sound like thats what you are after.

I must respectfully disagree with everything you've written here.

Totally. There is no hard-sell in Japan (often no sell at all), just incredibly helpful assistants should they be required.

That would be fantastic, can't wait to go there someday.

Some size comparisons that might help:

Nippon Art, 845, Nakaya Portable, Neo-Standard, Izumo:

Izumo, KoP, Portable, Danitrio Takumi, Pilot Custom 743:

Thank you very much for the photo comparison.

Looking at the Izumo compared side by side, I feel so dumb saying that the Izumo is the smallest of the lot.

Yes, it's not a deciding factor although it's nice to have.

In the end I will have to hold them in my hand and see how I feel about them, their surface, their weight etc.

One thing though that I saw on the spec sheet is that the Namiki Yukari Royale is actually a metallic base coated with Urushi?

Would have thought that it is ebonite but the price is too good to be true.

The Namiki Yukari Royale, as I stated in an earlier post, is urushi on brass. It is unique among Japanese pens in this respect.

Ah yes, apologies for missing that part where you said that the base metal is brass.

How does it feel in the hand though compared to an ebonite material?

I'm not sure if these size comparison photos will help at all, but thought I'd at least toss them out there.

Left to right with caps on then caps off are:

Montblanc 149, Nakaya Portable, Sailor Pro Gear King of Pen, PIlot Custom Urushi, Platinum Izumo, Nakaya Long 17mm.

There is also a Nakaya 17mm Portable, but I don't currently have one to add to the photographs.

http://www.fototime.com/%7BF2A3B89E-5E2E-460E-813E-EEB5063D145B%7D/origpict/c1.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/%7B98061EFC-0340-4CD3-BBDE-2A35B9E0D57D%7D/origpict/c2.jpg

Ah yes, apologies for missing that part where you said that the base metal is brass.

How does it feel in the hand though compared to an ebonite material?

It's less dainty and the pen feels less ephemeral, more substantial. That said, the balance is almost impossibly perfect, and though I tend to prefer lightness, the Yukari Royale is one of the most comfortable pens I own. In the last year I have written circa quarter of a million words with it alone.